It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Jellyfish (???) UFO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I have always found the UFO phenomena rather interesting. While I believe in the statistical inevitability of alien life, the scientist in me finds most UFO evidence to be of a rather sketchy nature. I find that many people simply jump on the 'it must be alien' bandwagon rather than truly trying to determine a legitimate, non-alien explanation. I've been a space and astronomy lover since I was a child. Yet, despite countless nights under the stars, I've never witnessed something that couldn't ultimately be explained. I thought I did once...but after doing thorough research, discovered it was simply the space station momentarily visible in an area of the sky.

So when I came across this story out of the Netherlands, I couldn't help but be curious. I don't know that this is alien, but it certainly is interesting -

Green Jellyfish UFO seen over the Netherlands

I haven't had the chance yet to search this photo and see if we can pull any metadata from it anywhere.
edit on 23-5-2015 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The Photo was taken by one Harry Perton. On his blog, he says:

Suddenly something flashed. At first I thought my device, but the flash was not up. There was not a drop on my lens. I decided it must have been a lightning. But at home I see something strange in one of the photos that I made at the end of the lane trees

groninganus.wordpress.com...

Exif Data from his wordpress pictures -

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

It's just a lens flare.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It doesn't look like a green jelly fish. They can also change, or have something dock. It looks like a lifesaver. Could be a ufo.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

It's just a lens flare.

Perhaps...I'm not a photographer so I couldn't say definitively. I am doing a little research on lens flare with exif data, since you brought it up as a possibility. My understanding of lens flare comes from my work with optics, in general, which isn't exactly helpful in this case. I can only say that it doesn't look like any lens flare I have ever seen working in optics...but I wouldn't consider that to be conclusive. Thus...my post.

Thanks for your input.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You can't tell if its a real ufo or unusual creature, when the person just accidentally takes a picture like that. I was very cautious because he didn't have an account of seeing it, having it hover or put on a show for him, and then vanish.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hi... unfortunately thats a beautiful shot of lense flare from the sun

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I've been translating (with Google translate) some of the replies from the photographer's blog. It's the usual mix with some thinking that it is a UFO and some saying that it's a lens flare and the rare oddball that thinks that it is a rare atmospheric effect.

I'm one of those oddballs. Given that it is not a lens flare, I think that it is a rare atmospheric effect, but that's because I would like for it to be, for my own selfish reasons. It reminds me of this (or rather these, as I understand the motif was popular at the time):

17th century French copper coin (1680).

edit on 23-5-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Well that coin is a craft. LOL. Why isn't it a lense flare? How did you rule that out, because if its not then other things come to mind including technology.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
6.5mm is an extreme wide angle and the Sun is in the shot.

It's a lens flare.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm still NOT ruling out lens flare, but if you google pictures of lens flare they look nothing like the picture captured above.

I'm wondering if this isn't an atmospheric phenomena of some type, especially considering the photographer specifically waited for the rain to come in before taking pictures.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I'm still NOT ruling out lens flare, but if you google pictures of lens flare they look nothing like the picture captured above.
Are you sure?
www.google.com...
edit on 5/23/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Thanks Blaine....that seems to be the consensus. But I am still looking at other possibilities before I, personally, adopt it as the most likely candidate. I found this diagram which explains lens flare mechanics -

Would be nice if we could use it disseminate the picture, don't you agree?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

yes, Phage...even those pictures don't look similar...with the exception of one (thanks for point it out) -

www.caelestia.be...

That does have a similar shape.

Edited to Add - and IS an example of lens flare.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Keep scrolling.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Quote from the link provided in my last post -

To determine whether an unwanted image in a picture qualifies as a lens flare of the latter type, the reflection has to be positioned on - or very close to - the line that runs through the centre of the picture (c) and the light source that caused the reflection. The flare also has to be located at an equal distance from the image centre as the originator (to see how all this applies to the Andenes photo, hover the mouse cursor over the full frame image above). Furthermore, the "axis" of the spindle has to line up with the light source. In the aurora photo, these conditions are fulfilled. Note nonetheless that the flare is not exactly on the diagonal line. Why this is so is not entirely clear, but from studying similar photos exhibiting lens flares, we get the impression that the use of filters mounted in front of the lens could be responsible for this. Another option is that the camera's detector is not positioned exactly in the centre of the optical axis.

Not to show any disrespect from those posters who are stating it is lens flare.... I don't just accept an answer because someone "says so" but would rather UNDERSTAND the mechanics behind it that cause it to be the CORRECT answer. That's why I chose to keep digging.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Well that coin is a craft. LOL. Why isn't it a lense flare? How did you rule that out, because if its not then other things come to mind including technology.

Hey Unity_99,

You've got time-in-grade so: it's a lens flare. Apparently the Sony camera that the dude was using creates these sorts of things, at least that's what they are saying on the blog, and compared to other images I have to agree that that is one weird lens flare. I am so bummed.

I mean, right there in the Netherlands where they have the sort of weather where someone might capture an image of some kind of anomalous weather phenomenon.

So, if you are trying to figure out why I would leap from not a lens flare to something other than aliens, that's why. I think that the weather is capable of being that weird. I think that our atmosphere and the planet interact with us and our brains in ways that we do not completely understand yet and I couldn't be brought to believe in a million years that the thing on the coin is a "craft".

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Best thread I've seen all morning.

I learned stuff. Thanks everyone!!

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Now you know and won't make the same mistake again..

At least you aren't sticking your fingers in your ears trying to ignore that it's just a simple lens flare.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Generally I don't reply in absolutes, but in this case it is a lens flare. Many years of taking photo's with film and digital and I'm comfortable stating what it is without hesitation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join