It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those Who Boycott Isreal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

originally posted by: beezzer
I am a firm supporter of Israel, I've never made any bones about that. But as much as I find it repulsive, protestors have a right, and to deny that right is tyranny. No matter how you slice it.

Can you tell us why you support Israel?

How is that germane to the conversation?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It always seemed funny to me that Israel only has supporters on the almost-center right. Radical right wingers hate Israel. Liberals largely hate Israel. Strange that they're still getting American money.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It always seemed funny to me that Israel only has supporters on the almost-center right. Radical right wingers hate Israel. Liberals largely hate Israel. Strange that they're still getting American money.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cetaphobic

Because, and this is only my opinion nothing more, many of those supporters are of a religious bent and Jerusalem is the heart of their belief system.

Not all of them, of course... But a good many.

The rest? They see Israel as a bulwark against the instability in the region. That's my reason for what little support I have left for them.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

www.bis.doc.gov... We have the office of anti boycott compliance in the usa so perhaps either harper is trying to go with that or the people who set up ours got one set up in canada? i had only heard of this happening in the usa not canada before so thats the only theory i have

www.yettercoleman.com... PDF from same orginization

www.globalresearch.ca... older link but talks about what the op is talking about

www.vice.com... older on weather or not the boycotts are effective or not

www.rense.com... guess it comes with a bunch of pretty strick pentalties

Penalties: The EAR prescribe the penalties for violations of the Antiboycott Regulations as well as export control violations. These can include: Criminal: The penalties imposed for each "knowing" violation can be a fine of up to $50,000 or five times the value of the exports involved, whichever is greater, and imprisonment of up to five years. During periods when the EAR are continued in effect by an Executive Order issued pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, the criminal penalties for each "willful" violation can be a fine of up to $50,000 and imprisonment for up to ten years. Administrative: For each violation of the EAR any or all of the following may be imposed: General denial of export privileges; The imposition of fines of up to $12,000 per violation; and/or Exclusion from practice. Boycott agreements under the TRA involve the denial of all or part of the foreign tax benefits discussed above. The $10,000 maximum per violation specified in the EAA is adjusted periodically pursuant to law for inflation. The maximum civil penalty for any violation committed from October 23, 1996 through November 1, 2000 is $11,000 per violation. The maximum civil penalty for any violation committed after November 1, 2000 is $12,000 per violation.

During the mid-1970's the United States adopted two laws that seek to counteract the participation of U.S. citizens in other nation's economic boycotts or embargoes. These "antiboycott" laws are the 1977 amendments to the Export Administration Act (EAA) and the Ribicoff Amendment to the 1976 Tax Reform Act (TRA). Objectives: The antiboycott laws were adopted to encourage, and in specified cases, require U.S. firms to refuse to participate in foreign boycotts that the United States does not sanction. They have the effect of preventing U.S. firms >from being used to implement foreign policies of other nations which run counter to U.S. policy.
guess this was carters doing of all people but hey least its not at that level in canada yet

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: cetaphobic

I'm not pro or con Israel, but I believe there is some hidden conspiracy there as to why we almost always support Israel. No idea what it is, but something is there. But on the other hand, I often find Israel on the right side or at least an equal side in many debated topics.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Syphon

I am astonished.

Boycotting Israel is not hate speech. It is legitimate expression of political opinion, and people have a right not to support national governments with whom they have an ideological difference. For example, I try not to buy goods from outside the UK, because I disagree with the sheer amount of globalisation that is happening these days. I want to buy locally produced food, and British made equipment wherever possible. It is not always possible, but I do what I can.

In the case of Israel, if a person does not want to buy from an Israeli company, because doing so feels like tacit approval of Israeli foreign policy, then they should not damned well have to! Period!

Ottawa can say whatever it likes, but just because a thing is made illegal, does not automatically render it unjust.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Nice post OP. I think this is just stupid and Harper
will not succeed. Calling it a hate crime to advocate
a boycott of Israel, makes about as much sense as calling
it a hate crime to disagree with the Obama Administration.

Rebel 5

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Can someone please explain the Conservative/Israel loyalty connection to me???

Because it's here in America too not just Canada and it's not just conservatives either but many other groups as well. I get that we're long time allies and all that stuff. I also understand there are many Jewish members of society in many ways too. But that just doesn't explain the overwhelming and unquestionable loyalty to the Government of Israel.

Add to it laws like these that show a completely unreasonable willingness to install aggressive policies in favor of Israel regardless of reason or legality. For example, looking at the reaction from many of the officials here in the US when Netanyahu came here to speak. They literally cheered so loud they broke the sound equipment at one point. That is not a normal reaction. It's an almost disturbing amount of praise for a guy or nation, even an ally. Plus let's be honest it's not like Israel doesn't also have it's flaws and yet Conservatives in the Western nations practically worship anything Israel does.

Is it some kind of Religious thing where they feel they must support Israel???? Is it Economic???? I just can't figure out what it is that Israel has that creates such a fanatic loyalty for them. Can someone clue me in to what that is all about???

These people are operating in systems most of us never see, or hear about.

They know full well of the plans to win earth, and they wish to be on "a side".

And they are totally brainwashed, and OWNED to the core.

Only one way out for these people, they are desperate and dangerous, they want GOD to make them kings.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
What should be more of a concern than our own dear leaders coming out with such drastic claptrap, are the people that are directing them to enact it in the first place. Of course, they can't, or won't put themselves in the spotlight and show how much leverage they have, but will stay in the shadows and direct their puppets as they see fit.

Much of the leftist (for want of a better term) rubbish that I see about pushing "multicultualism", "hate crime" legislation etc seems to come from, or is directed by one sector in particular. And that group, representing a certain foreign government is one of the most racist groups out there, declaring itself a religious state (religious supremacists) and having no part in the multiculturalism it promotes elsewhere. Not naming anyone here as it would be considered a hate crime!

Its almost time to smoke them out from hiding, they think we actually will allow them to make us bow down!!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

So you're saying it's a Religious thing then. I'm sorta leaning that way myself as it's one of the few things that might explain it. However, I also doubt most of those cheering and hoping to glide their way into salvation by praising Israel are truly followers of the faith in any genuine way. They are all just a bunch of fakers in my opinion. As if sucking up to Israel would really be enough and as if God wouldn't know the difference.

I imagine them getting to the pearly gates and being rejected and acting shocked saying they supported Israel and gave them money and so on and so forth and God just looking at them like, "Do I really look that stupid ya bunch of posers??"

But maybe I'm not qualified to actually know the difference. I just don't see God being a big fan of powerful men and women who cause so much pain and suffering for people during their lives but think they can simply kiss so much butt that they'll still get in to heaven in the end.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Yup!

'Trying to scare people'

Tyler Levitan, a spokesman for Independent Jewish Voices, the principal organizing vehicle for BDS in Canada, said he believes he and his fellow organizers are already under surveillance: "This is about trying to scare people."

He said BDS is an "entirely passive movement. It is a decision not to take part in something. Not to be implicated, not to be complicit. It's entirely non-violent."

That's not always been the case elsewhere in the world, particularly France, where BDS rallies have resulted in confrontations with police.

But it is the non-violence of the boycott approach that attracted groups like the United Church of Canada.

Like the Canadian Quakers, the UCC restricts its boycott advocacy to products from Israel's settlements.

By some accounts, the BDS movement has divided Jewish organizations in the U.S., some of which, mostly on the left, support it. (The Associated Press)
The Ontario chapter of CUPE, on the other hand, supports BDS fully, shunning any contact or commerce with Israel. So do a range of other Canadian groups, and student organizations at various universities.

"It is the right and duty of citizens in any free state to engage in constructive non-violent peaceful criticism of state actions and behaviours," says Patti Talbot, a senior staff member at the UCC.

The church sees itself as anti-racist and progressive, which is why it was horrified by the government's description of its advocacy as anti-Semitism, and worried by the declaration of zero tolerance.

"How is [zero tolerance] going to manifest itself?" asks Talbot. "It could be directed against the United Church, it could be directed at a gamut of individuals in Canadian civil society. People of goodwill."

Talbot said it is all the more troubling given the recent passage of Bill C-51, the government's new anti-terrorism measures, which would further empower the police and intelligence agencies that report to Blaney.

"It's not unrelated," she says, "to the clamping down on dissent."

Basically, the Harper government understands quite well that the BDS Movement is a very effective tool for shedding light on what is going on in Israel and saw that it was gaining momentum globally.

The propaganda machine is no longer able to influence public opinion concerning the government of Israel, so they come up with dark laws to drown out the bright lights...

en.wikipedia.org...

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement (BDS Movement) is a global campaign[1] attempting to increase economic and political pressure on Israel to comply with the stated goals of the movement: the end of Israeli occupation and colonization of Palestinian land, full equality for Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel, and respect for the right of return of Palestinian refugees.[1][2]

The campaign was started on 9 July 2005 by 171 Palestinian non-governmental organizations in support of the Palestinian cause for boycott, divestment and international sanctions against Israel. Citing a body of UN resolutions and specifically echoing the anti-apartheid campaigns against white minority rule in apartheid era South Africa,[3] the BDS campaign called for "various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets its obligations under international law".[4]

There is considerable debate about the scope, efficacy, and morality of the BDS movement. Critics argue that the BDS movement promotes the delegitimization of Israel.[5][6] BDS supporters argue that both the movement (and criticism of the movement) are similar to the earlier boycotts of South Africa during its apartheid era,[7][8][9] a comparison that the critics categorically reject on the grounds of dissimilarity of the regimes in almost every aspect.[10]

The effectiveness of the movement has been questioned. Reports from both in and outside of Israel has indicated that the movement has had very little impact on the Israeli economy, and won't for the foreseeable future

...they know that mass awareness will do damage instead.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I think you need to force your government into taking an MRI test
to see if they are being controlled by the Zionists.

Israel X-rayed 100 thousand children who were Sephardic Jews with doses 35,000 times the standard so the American government could find out the results after WW2
Israel dropped a bomb on Palestine in 1978 killing between 50-200,000 Palestinians
Israel has a policy called Mesirah which means not informing on a fellow Jew there have been 2 big cases in Melbourne and Sydney lately where they were protecting paedophiles.

The problem is it is not the Jewish people its the Zionists who hide behind the Jewish label if only the Jewish people would realise it was the Zionists who killed them. (although protecting pedophiles should seriously be debated as to whether it should be a capital punishment)

and the only way to really protest is to withdraw your tax as it is a voluntary contribution.
edit on 14-5-2015 by jinni73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I am a firm supporter of Israel, I've never made any bones about that.

But as much as I find it repulsive, protestors have a right, and to deny that right is tyranny.

No matter how you slice it.

How is protesting to what Isreal does in gaza no matter if you are of the opinion that anything they do in Gaza is self defense or not , "Repulsive" ?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Ive been boycotting Isntreal for a few years now...good thing im in the US where we have this whole free speech deal lol.

I've been called an anti semite and a Nazi more times than I can count for having an opinion that goes against the mainstream, sheep herd zionazi agenda, and I could care less. There are worse and more recent genocides that have happened yet we don't see those people and their descendants bitching and moaning about it constantly...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I respect your right to be a firm supporter of Israel. I do not find the fact that you support Israel to be repulsive at all despite the fact you find those who do not support the government of Israel through movements such as BDS repulsive.

I also respect your fair-mind to recognize the right of individuals to protest and boycott Israel (and other nations) if they so choose.

I have been to Israel and support the every day people of all backgrounds that reside there. However, some of the ongoing daily humiliations that seem to arise from a superiority complex that causes racism and bigotry that I witnessed there is something I find extremely repulsive.

But as much as I find it repulsive, protestors have a right, and to deny that right is tyranny.

No matter how you slice it.

I believe Israel has the right to exist free of daily humiliations and oppression....but so do the Palestinians. I agree this pie shouldn't be treated like a cobbler...

You stated you have never been shy about your support of Israel. May I ask why that is so when there is much taking place there that many around the world find very repulsive?

Here is just a glimpse of what I personally witnessed there. Brian Eno's account of the going-ons in Israel is right on the money. The man shares what many, including myself, have witnessed.

“Do Americans really condone this? Do they really think this is OK? Or do they just not know about it?”

www.independent.co.uk...

I was in Israel last year with Mary [a mutual friend]. Her sister works for UNRWA [the UN agency for Palestinian refugees] in Jerusalem. Showing us round were a Palestinian – Shadi, who is her sister’s husband and a professional guide – and Oren Jacobovitch, an Israeli Jew, an ex-major from the IDF [Israel Defence Forces] who left the service under a cloud for refusing to beat up Palestinians.

Between the two of them we got to see some harrowing things – Palestinian houses hemmed in by wire mesh and boards to prevent settlers throwing # and piss and used sanitary towels at the inhabitants; Palestinian kids on their way to school being beaten by Israeli kids with baseball bats to parental applause and laughter; a whole village evicted and living in caves while three settler families moved on to their land; an Israeli settlement on top of a hill diverting its sewage directly down on to Palestinian farmland below; The Wall; the checkpoints… and all the endless daily humiliations. I kept thinking, “Do Americans really condone this? Do they really think this is OK? Or do they just not know about it?”

Again, that is your right. I, personally, am a supporter of ALL humans right to live free from endless daily humiliations.

I cannot support the government of Israel based on what my owns eyes have seen. Brian Eno speaks the truth. To be fair, there is a counter article in the link by Peter Shwartz, but nothing he says can really justify the above.

I've never made any bones about that.

Much skeletons in the closet over there in Israel. That article link is a door to one of them.

Involutionist.

edit on 14-5-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Canada had no reason to close it's embassy in Tehran but it did. Canada has not been censored by Iran since ambassador Ken Taylor harbored Americans from the American Embassy during the hostage crisis.

Canada refused entry to British Parliamentarian George Galloway who had a speaking engagement at a Canadian University

David Icke was banned from Canada because a zionist group claimed he used Reptilians suppressing humanity as a euphanism for Zionists.
Guess who is running the show in Canada?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: cayrichard
Guess who is running the show in Canada?

Harper.....for the next 5 months. What do I win?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The thread is on "Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those Who Boycott Israel".

To everyone who has asked why I support Israel, perhaps a thread should be done and there, I may participate and offer my personal explanation.

But I will not distract from the central topic.

Let me repeat, this is wrong. Everyone has a right to protest. Simply because I do not agree with the topic in no way negates the rights of the protestors.

I will fight for everyone's right to speak up, to speak out. To silence one voice, silences us all.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The thread is on "Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those Who Boycott Israel".

Yes, indeed it is. That is why I found it interesting that you went beyond the topic to insert how it makes you personally feel and the fact that this feeling arises because you are "a firm supporter of Israel." That statement reflecting your personal conviction concerning Israel could/should of been left out of your initial statement for that very reason that you have suggested: The thread is on "Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those Who Boycott Israel".

To everyone who has asked why I support Israel, perhaps a thread should be done and there, I may participate and offer my personal explanation.

...but you stated it here...in this thread... when you didn't have to. Your point would of stood on its own without inserting your personal conviction.

But I will not distract from the central topic.

...but you did...by asserting which side of the fence you sit on. Again, who you personally root for could of been left out of your comment and remain focused on the essence of the OP like you did this time around which I starred, because it reflects a fair mindset.

Let me repeat, this is wrong. Everyone has a right to protest. Simply because I do not agree with the topic in no way negates the rights of the protestors.

Yet you find it repulsive at the same time? That is a strong word to use considering your thoughts above. That is the word that raised my eyebrows and I found very distracting...

How can one support an act and yet find it repulsive at the same time (without playing the semantics card)?

I like you Beezer, I don't know much about you but you seem like a nice person. However, you are pushing back the goal post...on this post.

I will fight for everyone's right to speak up, to speak out. To silence one voice, silences us all.

So, what then do you find repulsive about those who boycott and protest against Israel? I believe this indeed relates to the topic. Why? Because the Harper Govt apparently feels the same way as you. So, here I'm trying to see another angle that I feel based on your comment might help bridge the gap and allow for a better understanding of all sides.

You seem to be the person who can give the yang side of this topic since you are a firm supporter of Israel. These protest or boycotts that you find repulsive that the OP mentions has everything to do with this thread.

Again: What do you find repulsive about all this if you support the voice of all?

edit on 15-5-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join