It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your knowledge of science ruin movies and tv shows?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
So the longer I stay on ATS, the more knowledgeable I grow about various sciences since I have to look up what they say and mean to debate all the fringe theories on the boards. However, with this increased knowledge, it has started to ruin movies that I would otherwise love. I sit and watch a scene then immediately go "BULLCRAP!" because that scene is physically impossible. Or I'll watch the stock scientist of the movie who is put on screen to "scientifically" explain whatever is going on start speaking in techno-babble and because I actually know what the words they are using mean, it destroys my immersion. For example a famous example of nonsensical techno-babble: Flux Capacitor. Though speaking about time travel, because I am aware of the way that space/time works, I end up having a tough time watching time travel movies (how come when they go into the past, they don't wind up in the middle of space?).

I must say that it isn't just ATS either, shows like Mythbusters and the Cracked website (they do some good science articles and myth debunking articles) go a long way to showing me these things too.

So my question to you guys is, does this happen to anyone else? When you watch Independence Day do you ever find yourself wondering why the giant space ships flying around the world don't screw with Earth's tidal forces? When you watch a giant monster movie, do you ever wonder how that monster sustains its size when it isn't terrorizing the planet? When a building is demolished in an action movie, why isn't all the asbestos poisoning and various other awful things that go along with uncontrolled building demolitions mentioned?

Now I'm not really talking about plot holes here (like how Jeff Goldblum's Apple laptop is somehow compatible with the alien mothership in ID4). I'm talking about actual plot points in the movies that defy science.

ETA: Just in case it wasn't obvious since we are talking about movies and tv shows, *SPOILERS ALERT!*
edit on 29-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The worst is Hearing Sounds in Space movies. Gravity and Star Wars come to mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Yes, absolutely!

That's why I try to stick with other genres of entertainment.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

The worst is Hearing Sounds in Space movies. Gravity and Star Wars come to mind.

Maneuvering like a fighter jet in space is another one. Oh and explosions in space.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I don't find that it necessarily ruins movies or television for me, I know it is Hollywood and entertainment, so for some reason, I can accept it to a point. If it is absurd, that throws me some. I will say, I love the fact that Gravity had no sound in space, I wonder if the new Star Wars movie will have sound or not?

However, my knowledge ruins them for others viewing with me (wife).

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I've more or less become just like the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew. Since I can't take these movies seriously anymore, I just riff on them while I'm watching them.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie
Am I remembering incorrectly? I thought Gravity didn't do sound in space?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I've more or less become just like the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew. Since I can't take these movies seriously anymore, I just riff on them while I'm watching them.

hahahaha, I miss that show.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

They still do their thing though:
RiffTrax

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

No. It actually intrigues me and makes me laugh. My mindset is normally in line with what to expect base on the movie I choose.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Yes, definitely. My wife and I watch Scorpion every week and it's rare that I don't disturb her enjoyment by yelling "BS"
when they do some really over the top McGyver type stunt.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I believe you all are correct in saying Gravity did not have sound. I just assumed it did

I can get over the facts and enjoy the movie, the person who it gets ruined for is my friends/girlfriend who I constantly give explanations of why something is or isnt possible.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer
Awesome show. It's the same for non science movies though too. Military and politics is the same way. Wife tells me to shut up all the time.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
No, not sci fi movies.
Now movies like top gun,,,aaahhhhh!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ICycle2

No. It actually intrigues me and makes me laugh. My mindset is normally in line with what to expect base on the movie I choose.

I will admit that going forward and watching newer movies, it is easier to set my mindset to these things. It's when I watch older movies that I used to really love that what I'm talking about in the OP happens.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Ya totally hate movies that aren't somewhat accurate. It is the same with combat. I can't stand massive fire explosions from a grenade or a car. I have seen probably 20 standard car fires in my life and not one blew up....The most dangerous part was the tire blowing out. Same with grenades...ive probably thrown in the realm of 10 and seen 10 fold that blow up...never saw a huge fire explosion once.

What always amazes me too is I imagine it would be cheaper to just make things more realistic...and it actually does better. Look at Saving Private Ryan. Most vets and non vets consider it (arguably) the greatest war movie out there and consider it highly realistic. Making things more real I think actually sells better.

In terms of theory I don't mind if things get a little weird. For example I enjoyed the movie Interstellar even though it has some crazy science in it. I'm ok if they get weird with theory cause...ya its still theory. If someone is going to bend the rules id rather it be with theory or a "new" technology we don't know about yet, etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel
a reply to: wtbengineer
Awesome show. It's the same for non science movies though too. Military and politics is the same way. Wife tells me to shut up all the time.

OMG! Miltiary movies are REALLY bad. I saw Assault on Precinct 13 while sitting in Kuwait waiting to go to Iraq and all I kept thinking was, "How come whenever someone picks up a gun they have to pull the charging handle?" It was so ridiculous that there is a scene where a corrupt cop breaks into the precinct's basement/holding cell area, gets shot, the hero had run out of bullets in his gun so he picks up the dead guy's gun and immediately pulls the charging handle. I was like "WTF? That guy just assaulted a fortified position without a round chambered in his gun!"

Also the overuse of calling the sergeant in the squad, "Sarg". No one does that crap, and you will be yelled at if you did.

That being said, when I see a movie that does the military right, I'm actually happy. Battle: Los Angeles, despite being a sci-fi movie, does a good job of showing military tactics and behaviors.
edit on 29-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yeah, that seem to get at me more too.

link   
double post
edit on 4/29/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

link   
I wouldn't say it ruins it for me, but I am sure it has ruined it for whomever I watch it with as I may yell at the tv from time to time. My mother always told me in a joking manner " honey we have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy hollywood"

So I have learned to bite my tongue so as not to ruin the show or movie for others.
edit on 29-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join