It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland (Maine) bans smoking e-cigarettes in public places

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I modified the title a bit to clarify, since most people don't think Maine when they see "Portland"...

Source

You won't find many people who hate the smell of cigarette smoke more than I do, but I've got a co-worker who uses one of these e-cig things all day long just across the hall and it's never once bothered me.

What's the world coming to? Where is this fabled land of the free?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

now that is just stupid... like banning tennis shoes.

land of the free... yeah right

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The string of profanity I want to post here would not only get me banned from ATS but from the internet in general. For life. God what idiots.
edit on 28-4-2015 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

I think that might be the way to deal with this.

Ban all athletic wear and exercise paraphernalia in public places.

I don't know about you but, I find it offensive enough to directly attack the way of life of the perpetrators of this disgusting compulsion.

I have to date been against the presentation of absurd comparisons for the reason that absurd intelligences won't perceive the sarcasm and instead stoically implement the lampoon.

Maybe we need to try something new?

How many more, Mr. Speaker? Ban all athletic wear and exercise paraphernalia in public places.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It's a shame. I really thought the voters of Portland Maine were far more intelligent. Must be those long Winters effecting their Brain Matter. I suggest one of those political masterminds take on a few real issues such as the lack of toilet paper in public bathrooms, or fixing potholes, snow removal and improved postal service...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: scattergun
It's a shame. I really thought the voters of Portland Maine were far more intelligent. Must be those long Winters effecting their Brain Matter. I suggest one of those political masterminds take on a few real issues such as the lack of toilet paper in public bathrooms, or fixing potholes, snow removal and improved postal service...

As a voter in Portland, Maine,
this is the first I've heard of it.

7 to 1- apparently everyone in office needs to be fired... but that's no different than the rest of the country, now is it?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It makes alot of sense. People do not like smoking and thus they ban such. The industry decided to come out with something new and instead of waiting for people to complain the government decided that it is better to just ban such before the people cry out.

It makes alot of sense, cause a person who smokes, could use the argument that if you are going to allow for a person to vape, then one surely should make accomidations for those who smoke. And this is only going to be the tip of the iceberg as it were, as it leads up to the question about the current trend where people are wanting to legalize pot.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Ban yoga pants !?!? NOOOOOO

As for the OP , I hate the smell of cigarettes myself but would use some of those E-Cig flavors as an air freshener , they smell wonderful .

ETA: Let's either ban or regulate the amount of perfume and cologne women and men may wear . Some women and men bathe themselves in perfume/cologne and it is sometimes so thick I feel like I am going to smother . Not long ago while out to eat , the wife and I asked our waitress if we could move tables because the young girl at the next table had perfume on so thick I could taste it .

edit on 28-4-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Tell me, has Portland also banned driving cars? I'm pretty sure that's much more foul and polluting than both smoking and vaping put together. Oh, wait, you mean it's not about health, it's just a political thing? Boo.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: scattergun

As a voter in Portland, Maine,
this is the first I've heard of it.

7 to 1- apparently everyone in office needs to be fired... but that's no different than the rest of the country, now is it?
Your right on target. This is just a small example of whats going on everywhere now. There is an alarming trend in local politics. Low intelligence candidates without common sense attaining limited power in communities. They seem to all have limited scope of real issues that surround them and take the positions that are very low paying as nobody else will run.

We have seen these buffoons on CNN and other media trying to explain things they just don't understand. Furguson, Baltimore just to mention a few resent examples.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Weird decision.

I thought 'e-cigs' caused no harm to others... I even a had a few puffs of one and I thought it was ok, you can get different tastes!!

It's 'Vaporized Mints/Strawberries' etc.. I don't know if they can cause harm to oneself but to others, I doubt it.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I really hope whatever they had to put in the water there to get this passed doesn't get sent here to the UK.

I just gave up smoking after 30 years and stared vaping. In just 5 weeks my health has improved dramatically and my pocket has more cash in it too!

Here on ATS we say "Deny Ignorance". It's a shame that statement didn't get used more often in my book.

What is needed is more funding for studies on the long term effect of vaping! Let's face it, they spent millions of tax payers hard earned money on the same for tobacco. But they choose to treat vaping exactly the same way without having any evidence to back it up. Total disgrace.

Do they not see that vaping is prolonging the lives of ex-smokers so we will be paying tax for longer? Seems like they are cutting their own purse strings to me at least.

To say that it's encouraging teens to vape or smoke is just ridiculous. you could say that about almost anything if that's all it needed to get it banned! Cars, Nike's, Motorcycles, Soft drinks, fast food. The list is endless.

There are thousands of people over there in the U.S. and over here in the U.K. that could post exactly the same thing I just did too.

Peace & Happy Vaping!!

M.

/Rantmode off

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I modified the title a bit to clarify, since most people don't think Maine when they see "Portland"...

Source

You won't find many people who hate the smell of cigarette smoke more than I do, but I've got a co-worker who uses one of these e-cig things all day long just across the hall and it's never once bothered me.

What's the world coming to? Where is this fabled land of the free?

Most e-cigs do not give off a smell unless you buy a scented kind. For example, when I quit regular cigarettes, I switched to e-cigarettes and bought a cherry flavor. You could smell the cherry with every puff, but not enough to bother people. But whatever. I think this is dumb. It's water vapor. How that's harmful to others, I don't know. I can guarantee you the tobacco industry will get some study done saying it's more harmful than regular cigarettes. Give it time. Personally it helped me to quit entirely, so I think they're fine.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
They don't want to ban them because of the smell or harm to others, it's because it gives teens the wrong message! (a much more ridiculous reason, IMO).

I can see banning cigarette smoking because of the smell and harm to others, but banning e-cigs because they don't want teens to see it??? That opens the door for banning PDA between "certain people" because "it gives teens the wrong message".

This place is so screwed up, sometimes!
edit on 4/28/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

This just goes to show that the ban on cigarettes is not really about second hand smoke. Their argument is that it sends teens the wrong message. If sending the wrong message is the issue, then we need to make it illegal to have pants that hang below your butt. Let's also ban music that talks about selling drugs and/or shooting cops. The message sent by people vaping is that there is an alternative to smoking cigarettes.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Im an Avid E-Cig User for the purpose of quitting smoking. If we want to encourage people to stop smoking then let them smoke their E-Cigs!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

We might aswell get rid of Television and Computers too!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
Im an Avid E-Cig User for the purpose of quitting smoking. If we want to encourage people to stop smoking then let them smoke their E-Cigs!

there you go again... being logical

what did I tell you about that?!??!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
a reply to: N3k9Ni

We might aswell get rid of Television and Computers too!

Actually, that might help things...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Kangaruex4Ewe started this thread a while back and it has a lot of good information in it for anyone that wants to try vapeing. I would only recommend this for current smokers I think.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join