It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Veterans need to Read This Now!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
www.infowars.com...

This is quite disturbing. I always thought our medical records were supposed to be PRIVATE. Well now it seems our VA mental health docs and clinicians can send the FBI our medical info if they feel we shouldn't own guns.

Should they have this type of power? Also, the VA's job is to get veterans with mental health issues in to see their therapists, which only happens once trust is built. This definitely doesn't serve in the interest of building trust.

edit on 23-4-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: Removed all-caps from thread title. MOD NOTE: The Use Of All Caps In Thread Titles--All Members Please Read.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Imightknow

The FBI must not fall under HIPPA. This is disturbing. Since so many veterans are diagnosed with PTSD, this may have some serious fallout.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Pretty sure you sign those rights away when you accept VA care.

I don't really see the problem in information the FBI that a mentally unstable vet has guns though.

Just saying, seems like common sense. The mentally unstable/ill should not own fire arms. What constitutes an illness that warrants firearm removal however, is not something I could answer.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Okay, so if a veteran with mental health issues went on a shooting rampage and it subsequently transpires that the VA knew they posed a threat, but did nothing about it, can you imagine what conspiracies would be dreamt up?

Here in the U.K we have an obligation to report anyone who poses a threat to themselves or others, personally I think this is a sensible thing to do.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I agree with you to an extent; severely mentally disabled people, veterans or not, should not own guns. The problem is, who makes that call?

Just because someone is depressed does that mean they shouldn't own firearms? That's unrealistic because most people go through bouts of depression.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

What you are saying is a bit different. Of course if a patient went in and told their VA therapist that they were planning on going on a shooting rampage then YES, the VA should act.

Unfortunately, this will most likely be abused and cause serious fall out.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I agree. Just because someone has PTSD, does that mean they shouldn't own firearms? I think not. PTSD does NOT mean that such person will go on a rampage.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Yeah that's sorta where I'm left saying "hmm".

Cause I know plenty of vets who have PTSD for example and I'm not at all afraid of them snapping and shooting up the neighborhood. If anything the range practice helps them.

So yeah, I don't' trust the VA to make that decision though, which is why IMO this is completely wrong. Now perhaps if an independent psychologist were making those recommendations I might agree.

But anybody on VA payroll I don't' trust one bit.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I have a hard time trusting ANYONE on ANY type of government payroll.

Thank you for your input on this topic.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Why should there be a problem with this? Haven't you guys ever watched Rambo first blood?

Surely there are a lot of veterans who have been though a lot and have a few issues because of it. Then also have a lot of experience when it comes to warfare and using weapons extremely efficiently.

Man, I'm sure a few of these dudes could really do some damage if there minds ever snapped. No wonder the FBI would have concerns, lol.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I am not so sure about this one. I only say that as I am a vet who went in for some mental health issues after some trauma....I was told I was normal and that I didn't need to come back unless I wanted to. I suppose if you said some really really crazy stuff like you wanted to blow up the gov or something well then they'd probably have to send something. I never felt like they were trying to lure me in further...and I had certainly had some F ed up thoughts.

I forget who it was but one of the recent shooters had a psychologist that got some flak for not coming forward...or the authorities got some flak for not acting...I forget.

The problem is if they don't say something and then the dude blows up some building someone will post "Look how our tax dollars are being used...they didn't even investigate this nut!!!"

But if this is true...just don't surrender your guns....make em pay for it. There is all this talk of taking your guns...just don't give it up.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Wasn't the guy that killed sniper Chris Kyle a veteran?

In any case, there are a lot of things to consider before joining the military, and anyone considering it should think long and hard. The government doesn't hide these things, they're all on the papers you sign. I'd be more outraged if this was something done covertly, not written into any kind of consent form.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

There's a few problems with this. Lot's of veterans don't want to go receive the care they really do need from the VA because of lack of trust and fear that this is the kind of crap that can happen.

Again, as stated by me and others already, CERTAIN cases would be absolutely Ok that the VA should send the FBI a heads up, but the PROBLEM is that this WILL be abused and veterans who don't deserve to have their guns taken away will so indeed.

Privacy is something that needs to be valued, not stepped and spit on.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I see where your coming from, having your rights taken away from you because your a little depressed, isn't cool.

But............ it should be understood, as mysticmushroom pointed out, that you surrender yourself to higher standards once you sign those papers to join the military. Or any other government job, for that matter.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is one of those VERY SLIPPERY SLOPE questions.

I think tothetenthpower made a great suggestion of using an independent clinic. I do think that there are times when a person should be denied the right to own a gun due to their mental status. However, I agree with Imightknow that this could stop many of our veterans from getting the help they need. I think that society is just now starting to treat PTSD as a real illness that our soldiers are facing, I would hate to see all of the great movements forward be undone by government regulations.

edit on 4/23/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The thing that bothers me about this is who is the authority that makes the calls? Is there some kind of standardized mental health test these vets are forced to take? Are the same qualifications for mental "healthiness" applied equally across the spectrum and United States? Is there an appeals process?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
This is one of those VERY SLIPPERY SLOPE questions.

I think that society is just now starting to treat PTSD as a real illness that our soldiers are facing, I would hate to see all of the great movements forward be undone by government regulations.

Totally agree. I would also hate to see less veterans go for the help they need in fear of being misdiagnosed and in fear they may lose their firearms. As stated by a poster earlier, for some of us veterans shooting is actually very therapeutic, whether or not that is understood by everyone is irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I am a veteran and use the VA and i would never tell them anything they did not need to know.
One of those thing is if i own guns or do not own guns.

My father had Alzheimer and the VA told the cops and they came to get his guns but could not find them because they were locked in my gun safe and i would never have opened it for the cops.
Two day later his guns were stored in Nevada in my brothers gun safe out of reach of the calif cops and any calif search warrants.

The funny part was the cops knew from the VA that he had guns but could find no records of the as he had them for over 50 years long before calif required sales records.
I just told the cops he had sold them years ago but he has Alzheimers and must have forgot.
edit on 23-4-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

This is what bothers me the most as well. Who makes the calls and is it based on a standardizes test or personal emotion/bias?

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
On active duty I was prescribed add meds, I elected to stop taking the meds under this once thr info is passed to the fbi I lose my 2nd amendment rights.

How is that right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join