It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone identify this spider? (New York)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MDpvc
I happened upon this ugly SOB at work today. It's huge! It's leg span is probably about the same diameter as a golf ball. I've been searching online for quite some time but can't seem to find this spider anywhere. There's a couple that look kind of similar but this looks substantially different than all the pictures I've seen of those.

Carolina Wolf Spider, Wolf Spider
www.spiders.us...

Body

Cephalothorax and abdomen nearly equal in size. These are very robust spiders. Highly variable in color and pattern above, but usually pale brown or gray with sparse darker markings; sometimes nearly black. Usually a dark gray or black elongate mark on the midline of the top of the abdomen is present (known as a “cardiac mark”). Chelicerae (jaws) may be flushed with orange. Underside of body is jet black with “knee” joints black beneath as well. This ventral pattern varies little and is fairly diagnostic for the species.

Page identifying traits.
www.spiders.us...
edit on 18-4-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

That was so cruel lol. Now my skin is trying to crawl off my body. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Spiders have to be the creepiest of all bugs. Something about all those legs just gives me the creeps.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

I can't tell you what it is but I can guarantee you it's not a brown recluse.

A brown recluse is a satin brown with the upper torso displaying a darker brown figure the shape of a violin and slender legs. It taint no brown recluse.

www.ask.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Spiders are actually quite beautiful if you take the time to truly look at them, aren't they?

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'd never seen a fisher spider so when I did a video search, I found this:

It says fisher spider but the video text says wolf, however it looks particularly similar to yours (at least to me it does). The legs looks different, but the pattern on his back looks the same or very similar the pattern on yours. I thought it was quite cute how he swam away

edit on 19-4-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Yeah, they are pretty awesome creatures. Especially when they are eating bugs and not me.

I had a rose hair tarantula. It would flick his hairs from its back into to the mouses eyes to blind, then It would pounce on it and bite, then jump away and wait for the venom to work. It would then drink the mouse from its fangs.

Brutal little critter. Fun pets.
I never picked it up sober.

If I got another, I would go for the Cobalt Tarantula, very cool...

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Not even close to recluse. It's too big and beefy. You said golf ball? Yeah, I think the biggest a recluse will get is about the diameter of a quarter.

Definitely a wolf of some kind.

edit on 19-4-2015 by ketsuko because: to add recluse pic

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

The spider in question has a vase like shape on the back section. the Carolina Wolf Spider has the identical marking each section has a means of IDing.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I've always hated them, they bug me out (shameless pun intended). After looking at so many pictures though, I have to say I agree now.
edit on 4 19 2015 by MDpvc because: Typed big, not bug.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Thanks for that! I didn't realize the patterns on the rest of their body could vary that much. I think I must have just found a rather unique wolf spider.

I see Black Widows, Brown Recluse, and Yellow Sack Spiders at work all the time and they're all bad news. This one looks like it should be. I'm glad to know it's nothing crazy.

Thank you everyone for all your helpful, albeit somewhat creepy replies.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

They showed it is in just about the whole country except my part of it. We used to have zero Black Widows and now they are everywhere! I grabbed one when weeding the other day, so glad i was wearing gloves!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join