It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My gaming PC will not start (HELP)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Ok hello,
I have had my PC in storage for over a year. It worked fine when I put in into storage.
Now it will not start up. The power supply is working, but when i hit the start button nothing happens?

The PC was in very cold temps throughout the winter, that shouldn't hurt it right? It was dry in the storage.
I had a stereo that was in storage with it and it works fine.

Also I was wondering if the cold killed the battery on the MB could that stop it from starting up?

Any idea's?
Please help! Thanks!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Yes the cold can kill it. Solder on the motherboard isn't supposed to go below freezing. You said it had a battery, so I assume it's a laptop. Do you hear the fan starting by the processor? Are you just getting a black screen or what? Tuck the power cord under itself by the plug to set it at a slight angle and force contact with the motherboard. If that works, the dodder broke off the power plug, if it didn't, do you see any lights on it at all?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

What exactly happens when you press the power button? You say the power supply kicks on, well does the computer beep at you? Does the monitor come on? Does power supply kick on then spin down real quick?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: camainYes the cooling fan comes on, but all the drive lichts on my disc drives never light up and the monitor says "no signal". I have a graphics card 8800 gtx in it also.

edit on 4/14/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
For some reason a long time ago the power supply always would be on and all the case lights too. In other words the PC stopped shutting down the power supply. But that was never really a problem. So when I hit the power button, nothing happens. No beeps nothing. No discs drives light up. Monitor says no signal.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

If you have a spare one, try starting the PC with an other power supply. And try removing all unnecessary accessories (DVD drive, Hard disk, ...), just to see if it starts. If you have another graphic card, try it as well instead of the GTX.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Even sitting for a year, things can happen: temperature variations can cause things to expand and contract, corrosion from moisture in the air can still happen, and, batteries on a MB can drain.

I would trying reseating everything: the memory sticks, the video card (and any other cards you have in there), unplug, and replug in all the power connectors from the power supply. I'd even remove the CPU cooling fan, unseat the CPU and reseat it, then put the cooling fan back.

Try all that and see if it boots up after that. If not, I'd take a look a your MB's battery, if it's one that can be replaced, do so.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjokeYea I am probably going to have to tear it apart and check everything out. I built the PC BTW, never had any real problems with it.
Just wanted to ask here and see if their was something I missed before tearing it down and looking through it all.
I mean it's packed with drives.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Try all that and see if it boots up after that. If not, I'd take a look a your MB's battery, if it's one that can be replaced, do so.

See that is my question, if the battery died will a desktop PC still turn on?
edit on 4/14/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

check the monitor settings as these can change and could be as simple as using the menu on the monitor to tell it what input

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: THELONIO

check the monitor settings as these can change and could be as simple as using the menu on the monitor to tell it what input
I Was using the DVI output on my graphics card. The monitor usually detects it.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Try replacing your CMOS battery on the motherboard maybe?
Its a round thin battery,looks like a small coin.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: eriktheawful

See that is my question, if the battery died will a desktop PC still turn on?

It can depend on the make of the MB. Some MB if it does not detect enough voltage from the battery will not let the computer boot up.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Sounds like you need a new power supply at the minimum.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It should still boot and give you a bios clock warning if the coin battery was dead. Stick your nose up to the power supply and see if you smell anything funny. If you have on-board video try that. Try booting with a single stick of ram at a time.

EDIT: Never leave your baby in the cold again!

edit on 14-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
As stated above: Reseat the memory. That's always the first thing to check when one has been moved, or left in storage.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

edit: first try what Klassified wrote, reseat the RAMs (maybe switch them but look at your manual)

Open the case and unplug the ATX main cord.
Strip everything from your board except one RAM and of course not the CPU.
You´ll need a voltmeter ans a metal paperclip
Make a connection between the green line and black (ATX Main cord) with the paperclip.
The psupply should start now. Now measure 5V between black and grey. If there are 5V, your power supply is ok. If not, something with the voltage rails is messed up. Could be a blown fuse or a resetable one.

If your PS is ok, move on. Download the manual of your mainboard (find the name on the board itself if you do not know). Replug ATX main cord into mainboard.
Check what the "power on" pins are.
Unplug switch cable and short it out with a screwdriver (in case the cable is broken). If it does not start, remove the batterycell and try again.
If it does not start, shorten the RESET pin/soldering points with the screwdriver. The battery removal should have already reseted your BIOS but let´s try.

Does it beep? If so, write up the beepcode. Look into the manual for the beepcodes.

edit on 14-4-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter
I got the manual for it somewhere in storage still.
I guess it's time I opened it up and start tearing it down.
Thanks.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Before you do any of the suggestions here start simple. Reseat your video card, reseat your RAM, etc, etc.

I imagine you will find it's a simple solution to a simple problem.

I have been working on and building computers for over 20 years. It seems silly to me that people would recommend breaking out a multimeter before doing very basic troubleshooting.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Depends on the situation. It is possible that a dead CMOS battery would keep it from posting as you describe. Other than that , sometimes a PC not used for a year the caps swell and potentially bust open (unless they are solid caps)
I would suggest start with CMOS battery (those are cheap and readily available just about anywhere)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join