It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia erases "Above Top Secret" entry, for "lack of notability"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. WikiPedia has been notorious for deleting pages about websites for a long time, often deeming those pages to be "advertising."

Just make it look like we are running out of Ukraine and Russia will make one then edit it as they see fit.

Just to head off the post's coming because I said that...I was joking as the NYPD can do just as well.
edit on 9-4-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hmm, I wonder what the standard entry is for other websites (with about the same user base/traffic flow) Is this an outlier or common practice? Also, super off topic here, but I can promise you microbiology is solid on Wikipedia. My professor at Purdue University had a hobby, and that was editing and verifying wiki's microbiology pages. The man is an expert in the field, it's not all random Joe's talking out of there ass. Just throwing that out there.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ive never used wiki for anything anways, do find it weird they removed it. Maybe we dont honestly beet the requirements. Not trying to be hipster, but its nice when things arent mainstream, you get to hang out with like minded people and it not over run by everyone and their mom.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234
Hmm, I wonder what the standard entry is for other websites (with about the same user base/traffic flow) Is this an outlier or common practice? Also, super off topic here, but I can promise you microbiology is solid on Wikipedia. My professor at Purdue University had a hobby, and that was editing and verifying wiki's microbiology pages. The man is an expert in the field, it's not all random Joe's talking out of there ass. Just throwing that out there.

In an effort to support truth which is so important here. There is a plethora of valid , true, beneficial, accurate, verifiable and trustworthy information in Wikipedia. It's an excellent jumping off point if you want to research any subject. Each article lists sources and suggests additional research venues. The anger here is just sour grapes. If you really believe there is nothing valid on the site then what does this deletion matter? It shouldn't.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
If no one else is noticing the attempts at shifting the internet lately, then the people here are slipping in their expected higher awareness. So go a head and let the ATS become an unknown and over time just as propaganda saturated as news sources. Either you guys like articles on how sniffing your own farts is good for you or you don't even care that its worthy of top news here for a week.

So just like the regular news, they need you to stick your heads between your legs, so that you get used to the smell of #.
Sadly people are actively emulating the called upon meme.
edit on 617Friday49410-05:00Fri, 10 Apr 2015 08:49:35 -0500201504America/Chicago by blindprometheus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Someday soon we will determine what is truthful
on the Internet by its downloaded throttle speed.
9/11 data is dial up, NBC and FOX are broadband.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wiki, alexa, fb, and a plethora of websites themselves that consider their data to be expert, are fast becoming isolationists and irrelevant to niche websites that may or may not have used them for inbound linkage and traffic.

For the most part those expert websites are strangling their own visitors.

I have almost migrated away from using any of them and likely will become niche independant end of this year in order to avoid the puppy chasing the tail syndrome by using them. It is enough work just keeping up my own sites and patronising search engines. (And I see hints of that being an issue too some day.)

Website adminning used to be about making cool websites that people would patronise many years ago. And then it got all ugly with getting backlinks on these expert websites named above. And lets dont forget the mystical magical seo craze.

It seems what goes around comes around.

Maybe we just need to focus on our mission statements and let those guys do what they want with their expert ranking algorithm and advertising placements. It is what they do. Let them have it. The traffic they source to us hasnt been so golden lately.

Now, bout making everything https to be acceptable ....

edit on 10-4-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Everyone: Make a wiki page about your ATS user account and link your fav threads!! /jokes

The internet is becoming so filtered that its hard to find info these days, I'm almost had it with Google as a search since its "filtering" results based on what it thinks I want to click on, not what I actually want.

I dont even bother with the main wiki articles anymore, I just click straight to the talk page and see the drama--its as good as a dramatic wiki Gemwolf didnt link to

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Did you mean to reply to me? I never said anything of the sort.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

That's not your post that I quoted? Wow, I don't know . I just hit the quote on the post I was replying to. Sorry if that's not you. Computer glitch I guess.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Firstly How many conspiracy sites are on WIKI??
Haven't looked but I doubt many, if any are.

Secondly... who cares?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
lel, epic hippiecrisy here, ats does the same, lel.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why the surprise?? ATS pretty obscure. I only ran into this thing cuz i googled stargates and there was a huge thread about that on here. Ever since then the quality on here has gone down the tubes. Can't say that I blame Wiki.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

I never paid much attention to it for that reason; I anticipated it would eventually go away.

Quite true.

Though I cannot help but notice links between this deletion and two other events. Allow me to explain:

1: It is well known that Google is BFF with Wikipedia - in fact, Google has given quite some funds to Wiki:

In one of the few multimillion-dollar donations to be disclosed via a tweet, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales confirmed late Tuesday that Google had donated $2 million to the Wikimedia Foundation, the not-for-profit entity that runs Wikipedia

Source: www.bloomberg.com...

2: A few months ago, ATS has been crippled by DoS attacks, during which it was revealed (well, you yourself revealed) that ATS and Google has entered a period of some disagreement:

Several months ago, AdSense arbitrarily disabled our ad account. We no longer have ads from one of our best and longest-running advertising suppliers. The initial cause was a photo of a girl in a bikini (seriously). We removed that and submitted our appeal. That appeal was rejected because of a thread about contraceptive alternatives (again, seriously). We removed that and submitted our appeal. That appeal was also rejected, using the trashed thread as the reason. We've spent hundreds of hours going through the site, looking for anything that might trigger their rejections, and kept submitting appeals. Each time, our appeal was rejected with new and very arbitrary reasons… reasons where we were able to find countless similar incidents in YouTube comments, a Google property. Doesn't matter.

(...)

Not that long ago, we were "AdSense Darlings." (...) Just a couple years after that, we're mud. Suspicious, no?

Source: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Suspicious indeed.

3: Finally, Wikipedia decides to go on and delete ATS entry.

Surely you agree that these events are somewhat connected.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Oh no they deleted ATS from Wikipedia .. what I am going to do? What I am going to do now?

I guess this site will be officially shutdown now.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: votan
Why the surprise?? ATS pretty obscure. I only ran into this thing cuz i googled stargates and there was a huge thread about that on here. Ever since then the quality on here has gone down the tubes. Can't say that I blame Wiki.

Greetings:

And our dear Undo has books, too.

The Star*Gates by E. Vegh

Beth’s books

The Anunnaki and the Abyss by E. Vegh © 2005
E.Vegh attempts to prove that the Sumerian Abzu is in fact, the biblical Abyss and Bottomless Pit, mentioned in the book of Revelation (chapter 9). She also discusses the identity of the Sumerian Anunnaki, the extra-terrestrial connection and related topics, all from a christian perspective.
Concise and to the point, this short, free, e-book, is a perfect preface to her latest and more comprehensive work.

Free E-book Here

Nibiru and Wormwood by E. Vegh © 2005
The Book of Revelation, compiled by Apostle John while on the Isle of Patmos, outlines the arrival of a massive "star" from outerspace during the last days of our planet. This star falls to the earth, poisioning the oceans and underground waters. E.Vegh provides evidence that this event is in fact a massive alien invasion, and the "star" is in reality, a huge mothership. Second in the series of her free e-books, it's a good follow-up to "The Anunnaki and the Abyss," and a nice preface to her latest and more comprehensive work.

Free E-book Here

Peace Love Light
tfw
Liberty & Equality or Revolution

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: thorfourwinds

Is it not against T&C to make publicity stunts on this forum?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Here is some material that Wikipedia deems more worthy than ATS:

Twerking
Rye bread
Drywall
Kim Kardashian
Ear Wax

Not cool wikipedia-not cool.

edit on 10-4-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

That's not your post that I quoted? Wow, I don't know . I just hit the quote on the post I was replying to. Sorry if that's not you. Computer glitch I guess.

O no my mistake, that's my qoute, I just agree with your premise so I was confused why you seemed to think I was bashing wikipedia, perhaps it was me who misunderstood you. Either way, I think we're on the same page

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join