It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX state trooper sent to counseling for posing for a photo with Snoop Dogg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Snoop posted the picture to Instagram with caption 'Me n deputy dogg'

Snoop Dogg delivered a keynote speech at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas and requested a photo with the state trooper, Billy Spears. It seems Spears' bosses at the Department of Public Safety didn't like him posing with "a known criminal who has been known to use drugs" and recommended "counseling".

Austin police department apparently had no problem with it.

Go figure!

The official reprimand read: 'While working a secondary employment job, Trooper Spears took a photo with a public figure who has a well-known criminal background including numerous drug charges.

'The public figure posted the photo on social media and it reflects poorly on the Agency.'

The counseling advised Spears to say no when people ask for a picture with him.

Snoop has convictions for drug possession and stood trial for murder in 1993 before being acquitted.

Since Spears was only reprimanded with counseling, DPS does not view the penalty as a formal disciplinary action and the trooper cannot appeal.

'Yet those counseling incidents can block a trooper’s chances for promotion or advancement.

'So it appears that DPS commanders are papering Billy’s file with counseling incidents because they can’t prove that he violated any law, order, or policy, and they know that he will beat them with the law and the facts if he is given an opportunity to appeal.'

So essentially he's getting punished without being 'officially' punished. And even though up to now he's had nothing bad in his record, when it comes time for a promotion, this counseling will now show up. Simply idiotic. And the counseling will show that he associated with "known criminals", when really it was a celebrity at a well known event, for a drug that in some states is now legal. Gotta love it.

Snoop's Criminal Record

If anything, they might have been able to try and spin this to their advantage in some way, instead it almost looks like they have a stick in their rear. Anyone have thoughts on this?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the bossman was jelly...

Deficiencies. If this is the worst deficiency an officer of the law ever showed we would indeed be blessed.

Beat granny up and it's ignored. Take a picture with Snoop and go to counseling.

Sounds legit...

edit on 4/3/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

That's a shame fo shizzle

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
"Took a photo"

What the gd hell?

Who cares?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I don't even have words for the stupidity.

The officer posing with Snoop is likely to enhance his image and the image of the Texas police - way for them to turn it around and make themselves look BAD instead.

The time wasted writing this officer up and suspending* him should have spent finding a cop who actually did something criminal and deal with that instead. In case any cops are reading this and don't know where to look to find other officers behaving badly - please check Youtube. There is ample evidence there of police abuse.

Edit: I should have said 'sending him to counseling' poor word use on my part...in some jobs being sent to somewhere like counseling counts as a suspension because you go during hours you would normally be doing your regular job so you are 'suspended' until whatever else you are required to do is finished.

I don't know if that applies in this case though.
edit on 4/3/15 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

A "keynote speech" by Snoop Doggy Dogg, huh? Was he telling jimmy jokes about your mamma? SXSW is such a joke these days.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

I don't even have words for the stupidity.

The officer posing with Snoop is likely to enhance his image and the image of the Texas police - way for them to turn it around and make themselves look BAD instead.

The time wasted writing this officer up and suspending* him should have spent finding a cop who actually did something criminal and deal with that instead. In case any cops are reading this and don't know where to look to find other officers behaving badly - please check Youtube. There is ample evidence there of police abuse.

Edit: I should have said 'sending him to counseling' poor word use on my part...in some jobs being sent to somewhere like counseling counts as a suspension because you go during hours you would normally be doing your regular job so you are 'suspended' until whatever else you are required to do is finished.

I don't know if that applies in this case though.

My thoughts exactly. There are enough crimes within the force that need "counseling", a photo though? GMAB! They should have turned this to their advantage in some way and talked about making strides in the city, how their officers kept people safe during the event, etc... Instead the boss refused to remove the rod from his rear and in a sense wrote the guy up, without actually writing the guy up.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

A "keynote speech" by Snoop Doggy Dogg, huh? Was he telling jimmy jokes about your mamma? SXSW is such a joke these days.

Lord only knows. I only know what the article mentioned. LOL

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Counseling or Re-Booting..?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Crazy, shoot an unarmed man/woman/animal... get paid leave. Pose with a reformed "gangster", who clearly wants to just be a family man now, and you get counselling... go figure

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   

in all seriousness, this is bs, but it's about time they turn on their own, might help make them one of us.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I hope it's musical taste rehabilitation. Other than that it's sort of bull#.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Some employers really need to lighten up. Now if he was taking a hit off of snoops bong....
On the other hand, whoever thought putting snoop dog on a kids tv show a few years ago should have been fired.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
My guess is that guys boss doesn't like him for some reason. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable with the others stealing from lockup.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

that has to be the dumbest and most petty thing I have ever heard.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

He didn't draw his weapon and assert an expletive laden death threat. A black man no less.
That's a serious breach of protocol

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This goes way beyond an uptight boss. The Texas Department of safety is included with the famous Texas Rangers.

This organization is almost obsessed with protecting their reputation. They even have their own museum.

I don't think the reason for this obsession is simple pride and ego.

Corrupt organizations/people are often obsessed with maintaining an image and control over their employees.

They don't want employees who might associate outside their area of control.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is the line for needing treatment, a photo op. Rage and wrongful death don't seem to be a reason very often.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Lol He didn't feel threatened by a weed smoking black guy! time to send that deputy to the brainwashing chamber.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
someone has too much free time to be conjuring up charges for such a thing

new topics

top topics

join