It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topeka Police Implement New Policy: When a Cop Stops You, Hands Must Go Up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Do the police get to write laws regarding citizen behavior? Don't these things need to be voted on by elected officials? Who signed this law into effect?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Everybody is an meth-fueled, armed felon in a stolen car until proven otherwise.

Their job is suppose to be difficult and by extension* dangerous - the easier their job gets the greater the infringement on your rights.
edit on 142756462503bSat, 28 Mar 2015 12:43:45 -0500pmthu03u45 by UmbraSumus because: to add 2 words*

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is only possible because we don't say no.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So...

Cops request use of "jazz hands" to avoid triggering "anxiety?"
edit on 3/28/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: UmbraSumus
Everybody is an meth-fueled, armed felon in a stolen car until proven otherwise.

This here is about right. Of course we're the bad ones if we use the same tactic and allow the actions of a few police judge all police.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Do the police get to write laws regarding citizen behavior? Don't these things need to be voted on by elected officials? Who signed this law into effect?

Simple policy can be enforced by the police self professed law of..."Because I said so"

No difference when they have a gun at your head. At that moment you won't be asking if it's law or policy.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
So...

Cops request use of "jazz hands" to avoid triggering "anxiety?"

Ok, that's funny.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You want worse? Recently, we were driving into the area, and saw signs on the road, along with flashing lights on them, stating that there would be random searches of vehicles for, get this, weapons and cash! In Kansas, it is legal to carry a gun in your car with no permit, and there is no handgun registration. So, they planned to randomly search vehicles for weapons under what justification??? And cash?!?!? What amount of cash would be considered "too much", I wonder? We didn't see any cars in this case, as this had apparently already been shut down (thought the flashing lights were still a serious distraction to traffic). If we had, there could have been a real issue, as I tend to carry a bit of cash. That's how our oldest pays his share of expenses from his job/ He cashes his check and hands me cash each week. So, I'd be considered a criminal in such a stop. There are times we carry a gun as well, if we plan to be out late, for self defense if needed. Double crime there!!! No actual law broken, but apparently that doesn't matter now in Topeka! Now, you have to raise your hands in a traffic stop? Do they plan to post signs on every road into town warning people of this fascist move, or will tourists simply be shot?

All this after seeing weird signs on the interstate going west that would, if lights on DROP DOWN BARRIERS were flashing, divert ALL traffic, ONE WAY ONLY, off the interstate, and after some very suspicious road projects. I am talking places with some sort of "construction" moving rock and debris up from underground, in an area where literally NOTHING visible was every built, save a small building big enough for an elevator, and a nice large ventilation pipe! That, plus a large bridge over a small highway, that goes basically nowhere. What it's claimed it is for, it doesn't line up with, and where it actually is, there seems to be next to nothing out there. Makes you wonder. Way past time to move, which is coming soon,a nd I can't wait!!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
These sources kind of suck.

A quick google for this and I'm just finding a whole bunch of websites I've never heard of with copy/pasta of a few that I have- all filled with poorly worded clickbait ads all over them.

Thy this one - link That's a legit local news site.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
And the fact that so many new laws are enacted that most people don't even know about , this one will be the cause of more innocent people being shot

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

You want worse? Recently, we were driving into the area, and saw signs on the road, along with flashing lights on them, stating that there would be random searches of vehicles for, get this, weapons and cash! In Kansas, it is legal to carry a gun in your car with no permit, and there is no handgun registration. So, they planned to randomly search vehicles for weapons under what justification??? And cash?!?!? What amount of cash would be considered "too much", I wonder? We didn't see any cars in this case, as this had apparently already been shut down (thought the flashing lights were still a serious distraction to traffic). If we had, there could have been a real issue, as I tend to carry a bit of cash. That's how our oldest pays his share of expenses from his job/ He cashes his check and hands me cash each week. So, I'd be considered a criminal in such a stop. There are times we carry a gun as well, if we plan to be out late, for self defense if needed. Double crime there!!! No actual law broken, but apparently that doesn't matter now in Topeka! Now, you have to raise your hands in a traffic stop? Do they plan to post signs on every road into town warning people of this fascist move, or will tourists simply be shot?

All this after seeing weird signs on the interstate going west that would, if lights on DROP DOWN BARRIERS were flashing, divert ALL traffic, ONE WAY ONLY, off the interstate, and after some very suspicious road projects. I am talking places with some sort of "construction" moving rock and debris up from underground, in an area where literally NOTHING visible was every built, save a small building big enough for an elevator, and a nice large ventilation pipe! That, plus a large bridge over a small highway, that goes basically nowhere. What it's claimed it is for, it doesn't line up with, and where it actually is, there seems to be next to nothing out there. Makes you wonder. Way past time to move, which is coming soon,a nd I can't wait!!

Even tho you are not breaking any laws in your state, you are still guilty before innocent. Try to prove otherwise.

With the passing of such BS in CANADA we are seeing the same creeping North.

All as planned.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What happens when the edgy cop comes across someone with a disability to raise their arm sufficiently. someone with a shoulder injury perhaps or maybe someone without an arm altogether?

Cop: Hands UP!...... I SAID HANDS UP!!

Citizen: I can't. I have an inj....

I SAID GET YOUR HANDS UP ,.. GET YOUR HANDS UP,... GET YOUR HANDS UP!!!!

*Shots fired...........

Officer awarded congressional medal of honor "civi style" , lincoln bedroom for the week, Personal massages by the president, Paid vacation, and the most importantly................He got to go home at night.

I mean, seriously I see this going down save for the last part.
In a country where police work backwards from common sense, needlessly escalating even the smallest infraction, or non crime even.

The old 83 year old ww2 vet that cant raise his arms (Dead because he was a trained killer and dangerous in 1943)

The amputee who had no arm to raise. (Dead because cop escalated and didn't hear the victim state that they had no arm over his own absurd panicking.)

The mentally ill person..(Dead because they got scared when confronted by police and didn't understand the nature of the instruction ( I MEAN COMMANDS!!) of the officer.

And most of all, All those who did not comply as fast as the officer thought for whatever reason (Dead, because officer felt threatened)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Reminds me of Nazis telling the "Prison camp inmates", "Its only a shower, everyone must take a shower, you need to be clean for infection control purposes....Trust us".

Lambs to the slaughter, one way or another.
edit on 28-3-2015 by snowen20 because: Because ATS has gone full retard with political correctness.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Of course, we also had a different class of citizen back then too. People used to have far more respect for their place in society and the laws of society too.

If you want to blame cops for being too violent, you might also want to look at the average citizen and their lack of respect for others. What goes around also comes around.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

This IS NOT A LAW, it's a proposed policy, and it is illegal, It cannot stand scrutiny. If it does stand up to scrutiny, THEN it must be fought hand and fist as the end of our constitution has been rendered real. People need to use the system, or at least try, before just screaming at a stoic/mute wall. Then when that doesnt work YOU have a legal leg to stand on for defending your rights.

I don't like abuse in any sector, but we must try to maintain civility, by doing so we have the the right to fight back and the support of other nations when they see our will has been emboldened by living lawfully, even in the face of lawlessness. There is a time to call to arms, but that time is when all other recourse under a agreed upon set of rules have been highlighted as being broken by those in place to uphold them.

Keep your own heads level lads and lasses, so that when the world loses its head, you will be prepared, standing on solid ground and with "right" on your side...it is the only way to truly win any fight.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I have always turned off my vehicle and put my hands out the
window for the officer during a traffic stop. The officer has always
appreciated it. But I do have to say, to make it mandatory, is indicative
of something much different. Also what I used to do to show respect
and good faith and to even make the officer more comfortable with
me during a stop. Now takes flight because of this. I realize they don't
know who they are stopping in a vehicle. But it's gonna get crazy see'n
granny and whole families with their hinds high over a busted tail
light.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Wait! Wait! Wait! The cops finally take it under advisement what all the protestors have been screaming, "HANDS UP DON"T SHOOT!" and they decide that it will be their official position - you put your hands up so we know we won't have trouble ... and now no one is happy with that, either?

Oh the irony ... it burns.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A lot of this is "killing your dog"-lite. It's not for the officers' safety as much as it is to put you in your place right up front.

You'll note they even call it "hand compliance". The idea is to force you to comply with some idiotic demand, then you are mentally predisposed to continue to be a nice compliant little drone. And, I've no doubt, some FOP assholes have discovered that legally, it appears that if you DON'T comply with their little demand in the name of "Going Home At The End Of My Shift®", they can "show you who's boss" to any degree they like, including killing you if they're so disposed, and face absolutely no blowback in court or out.

It's also a dandy way to make sure you're not recording them - it's tough to hold that iPhone if your hands are in the air.

Only...this thing's got so many bad points it's hard to believe that any rational person would have come up with it.

The people of Kansas need to check Officer Brownshirt & Co. Letting the mayor and city council of Topeka go, and the police chief along with them, would be a nice first step. Maybe passing a city ordinance just as poorly constructed in the other direction - maybe along the lines of 'no officer shall require anything resembling 'hand compliance' under pain of immediate decertification' would do. Sort of let the police know that presumptuous crap like this is why they can't have nice things.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The way things seem to be going that's not all that's going to burn. I feel as though we're in some kind of dodgy sociology experiment. Just keep throwing more and more absurd things at the wall, they don't care if they stick , or not, they just want to see who reacts, and how.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: BlueJacket

Wait! Wait! Wait! The cops finally take it under advisement what all the protestors have been screaming, "HANDS UP DON"T SHOOT!" and they decide that it will be their official position - you put your hands up so we know we won't have trouble ... and now no one is happy with that, either?

Oh the irony ... it burns.

Now this is the kind of thinking we need to see more often IMO.
This I call able thinking. Able to think from the opposite perspective.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join