It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A desolate world without GMO crops: Inside Monsanto’s demented spin campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

For decades these people have been fighting to kill us, the planet, and all the other living creatures on it. To alter and destroy.

All I can say is they have a lot of money to spend washing the minds of people everywhere. They will go to any lengths to vilify and ridicule anyone who has the audacity to not believe or even scientifically prove that what they peddle to the world kills.

The question is, is resistance futile at this point or can we turn this around? Can we regain the balance of nature against such a virulent and widespread PR machine?

In the fall of 1962, a group of chemical companies including Monsanto – at the time the largest producer of the cancer-causing chemical compound, PCB – launched a full-throttle public relations campaign against Silent Spring and its author, biologist Rachel Carson.

In Silent Spring, Carson dared to take on the world’s biggest chemical companies, explaining that their products were not only harmful to birds and bees, but to humans, too. In the wake of its publication, the chemical industry PR machine kicked into gear. “Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent attempting to discredit not only the book but the ‘hysterical’ woman who wrote it,” says Kaiulani Lee, the playwright and actor who wrote and performs the definitive play about Carson, A Sense of Wonder.

In addition to paying spokespeople to tarnish Carson’s reputation, Monsanto also sent a parody to newspapers around the country. In “The Desolate Year,” Monsanto painted a frightening picture of a world without chemicals. It was a bleak place. “Genus by genus, species by species, sub-species by innumerable sub-species, the insects emerged,” the article warned. “Creeping and flying and crawling. … They were chewers, and piercer-suckers, spongers, siphoners and chewer-lappers, and all their vast progeny were chewers – rasping, sawing biting maggots and worms and caterpillars.” It goes on and on like this for five pages. (As we now know, that diatribe was fear-mongering, not fact-marshalling. Organic and low-chemical farmers across the United States are proving that you can eliminate, or greatly reduce, toxic chemical use on the farm without having to worry about being overrun by pests, weeds, or diseases.) [Source]

The Story of Silent Spring

What’s more, we know that the ecologists who warned that GMOs would spur weed and pest resistance were right. As Jonathan Foley, the head of the California Academy of Scientists, has said: “You can’t put out a weed-resistant crop and expect the weeds to sit still. They will evolve.” They will, and they have. Today, we have Roundup-resistant weeds, some with stalks so thick that they can damage farm equipment. And we have Bt-resistant bugs so defiant they’ve got corn growers in our Midwest worried. “Every ecologist predicted that,” Foley says.

Rachel Carson is a good hero to have, despite all the time, energy, and money spent to discredit her.

Earthkeeper Hero: Rachel Carson

Later after World War II, Rachel wrote a series which she titled Conservation In Action. By fall of 1948, Rachel Carson had entered what had currently been an all male domain by becoming a biologist and becoming editor-in-chief of the information division. Rachel later wrote, The Sea Around Us while working full time for the Fish and Wildlife Service. Later Marie Odell re-released Under the Sea Wind. Afterward Rachel bought a house on the coast of Maine. After settling in, Rachel started a book on the shoreline which she titled, The Edge of the Sea.

Rachel later got a letter from a friend who had had her land sprayed with DDT. Afterwards she had found birds dying throughout her land. She begged Rachel to find out why this chemical was killing off her birds. Rachel wrote a book on her findings which she called Silent Spring. Rachel submitted Silent Spring to a newspaper which, after being published, started a public outrage. The president took legal action and had the country's top researchers study the topic of DDT. Today we don’t use it any more because of the consequences it has on our world.

And what they are doing today is worse. Much, much worse.

Although their role will probably always be less celebrated than wars, marches, riots or stormy political campaigns, it is books that have at times most powerfully influenced social change in American life. Thomas Paine's Common Sense galvanized radical sentiment in the early days of the American revolution; Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe roused Northern antipathy to slavery in the decade leading up to the Civil War; and Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, which in 1962 exposed the hazards of the pesticide DDT, eloquently questioned humanity's faith in technological progress and helped set the stage for the environmental movement.

No longer trivial or anecdotal. A real threat. What are we going to do about it?
edit on 3/26/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Think about it no more Crops laced with Glycophates Cancer laced GMOS hmm maybe this silent spring is what we need!!!
edit on 26-3-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

For decades these people have been fighting to kill us, the planet, and all the other living creatures on it.

You have to ask yourself.... Why? It would seem counter productive to kill your customers wouldn't it?

It seems like for decades the world has been growing quite a bit. When you read something like this it just begs the question of why are you so far off? Where did we all go wrong that we can't counter this kind of thinking. How can we do better.

V

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886
Yep. What they are doing is affecting literally everything on the planet. As much as they attempt and spend to deny it, it's obvious to anyone with half a brain cell. There is no upside to this.

a reply to: Variable
Honestly? I don't think they can some of them can see past their bottom line. There are probably those among them who truly believe they are doing good work, and in some respects I do believe they're trying to, but their vision seems short-sighted. It's baffles me. I don't have any answers.

edit on 3/26/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Anything modified is no good everything pure is the way its supposed to be. Theyve proven that organic crops fare better than Gmo crops.

i mean we can go on and on and on, they say that previous generations didnt last as long well hell they had way better health than we did they all grew there own crops and caught there own wild fish not this CRAP we call food...a reply to: ~Lucidity

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Ya I know. I noticed the difference long before my consciousness caught up to why food was looking, acting, feeling, smelling, and tasting different. When I realized why, it was quite the "duh" moment for me. Luckily that was pretty long ago and I eat real, unmodified food whenever possible.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

For decades these people have been fighting to kill us, the planet, and all the other living creatures on it.

You have to ask yourself.... Why? It would seem counter productive to kill your customers wouldn't it?

It seems like for decades the world has been growing quite a bit. When you read something like this it just begs the question of why are you so far off? Where did we all go wrong that we can't counter this kind of thinking. How can we do better.

V

It's generally a slow kill. The left hand (Monsanto) creates the poisons we as consumers ingest so we can be handed over to the right hand, big pharma for more poisons. It's simply a self sustaining machine that manages to siphon off as much of our "value" as possible.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/26.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Im waiting on some organic heirloom seeds so i can start up my garden for the year its getting hot enough to start growing my veggies and herbs!! a reply to: ~Lucidity

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Need I continue to remind of the Rats with Tumors.....
edit on 26-3-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The Execs of These chemical companies pushing unnatural chemistry to our agriculture should be held liable if their chemistry is shown to cause problems to our health. I do not just mean fines that hurt their stockholders, I mean that if it is proven that they were purposely doing things that jeopardized our health, they should be tried and put on death row and all their fortunes confiscated.

Now if they do nothing wrong and do not try to cover up problems, they just get fined. It seems these big chemical companies are keeping things from us and the FDA and other agencies are not persuing the issue. We do not need their products, it seems that most of what they create is calming chemistry and we should not be consuming soy nearly as much as we do here in America. What is created by feeding soy to animals is not good either, don't argue about which is worse, GMO or natural, look at the properties of Soy in general. It is put into a real lot of food, it is poisoning us. They have made poison look as if it is good for us again.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Monsanto has the backing of US government and US banks

Monsanto is just a demon

US government is like the boss of demons, Satan

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Nice overview.
....What to do? It's basic gardeners' wisdom: Find the root(s) and dig it (them) out.

F&S

top topics

join