It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinformation campaigns and the movie Mirage Men

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
There is a movie called Mirage Men about this guy named Richard Doty who was (maybe still is) hired by the U.S. Government to inject confusion into the UFO culture. The movie looked at one case in particular in which a man had been seeing lights and recording unusual transmission from Kirkland AFB in New Mexico. This man decided to contact the Air Force and present his evidence. He was eventually put in touch with Richard Doty who told him that he has indeed found UFOs and that the U.S. Government needs his help to observe them. This started along campaign which ended with the man being committed to an insane asylum.

Doty claims in the movie that they give about 20% facts and 80% B.S. when spreading disinformation. I left the movie with the impression that aliens are real but whatever we think we know about them is mostly made up. This is because I came into the movie already convinced of aliens visitors on Earth; the movie served to show me that some of the more famous documents we have regarding UFOs and aliens are 80% falsehood.

Linda Moulton Howe is in the movie and at one point in her past was made to meet with Doty. She was given a document and allowed to read it. This document detailed all the contact incidents the U.S. government has on record as well as what they know about the aliens. Linda said that what stood out to her the most, what shocked her, was a single sentence at the end. It read like this: Humans exist as a genetic modified version of apes, modified by extra terrestrials.

Please watch the movie if you have interest in Aliens/UFOs or gov't disinformation campaigns.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've never seen the movie, do you recommend it anyways?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Socrato

Does the film go into any detail in attempting to prove what they are claiming is true? Or are the claims made by the film presented as something that we are to take at face value as being true just for the sake of enjoying the film?

I've seen documentaries like that before -- i.e., documentaries that can be enjoyable and thought-provoking when taken at face value, but when you take a step and really take a close critical look at the claims made, the film really offers no independent proof of those claims. I can still enjoy the "what if" aspects of films like that, but only if I suspend looking at it critically.

What about this film? Do they attempt to prove the basic premise, or do they present the premise as one to be taken at face value?

edit on 3/21/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

The book should be required reading for anyone interested in UFOs.

I personally would say that the 'true 20%' has nothing whatsoever to
do with 'aliens', but rather misidentified black aircraft in conjunction
with plasma-based effects as PARTIALLY described by the UK
government in Project Condign.

There is actually very little mystery left in 'the mystery'.

Kev

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

www.miragemen.com...

Mirage Men Plot Summary

Its worth watching.

I think you can see it if you log into youtube Here

Mirage Men Book
edit on 21-3-2015 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Considering the amount of information out there pertaining to the subject, even if only 20% is of a legitimate nature, that's a whole lot of info.

edit on 21-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

This might be a little 'skewed' from the actual topic, but it's a question I wonder about frequently.

If some or any of these crafts are made by NASA or the military, then why the secrecy for so many decades?

At what point would they say "See how fabulous we are! See these awesome triangular crafts we have engineered." And if they can go coast to coast in a blink of an eye, then why are we not traveling in them yet? They would cost an arm and a leg to use, but the 1% should be using them as taxis by now. Why so secret for so long?

One more thing, if they are military, then why have we not seen them in use? Some country somewhere in war zones would have seen them and publicized their usage.
Something to puzzle over.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

A 'false mystery' has to be indefinitely maintained, as 'UFOs'
are the 'magician's wand' which is used to trap society's
attention and keep it away from sensitive areas (as
explained in the book).

Many early 'UFO' sightings were just U2's and SR-71
blackbird, etc. This is now known.. but the 'mystery'
is still artificially maintained.. it has gained a life
of it's own.

And in fact the mystery has more power than the
'truth' about those black aircraft. It's like whats is
said about mythology - mythology is not true ---
it's "truer than true" --- has more power than what's
true.

Then there is the 'inconvenient truth' about the plasma
effects and the link with the so-called 'paranormal'.

All the fake nonsense perpetuating the 'alien myth'
is designed to keep excessive attention from the
'inconvenient truth'.

Kev

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

Dang chief bottle washer! I thought I could count on you for a delicious UFO explanation. Instead, you think it's all BS, apparently. Can't say I'm not a little disappointed, you know, because I've just started believing these things are real.

A 'false mystery' has to be indefinitely maintained, as 'UFOs'
are the 'magician's wand' which is used to trap society's
attention and keep it away from sensitive areas (as
explained in the book).

Which sensitive areas are you (or the book) referring to? (Wondering, is all)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

There is a movie called Mirage Men about this guy named Richard Doty who was (maybe still is) hired by the U.S. Government to inject confusion into the UFO culture.

There, now everyone is confused. Whats real and not…?

I've seen one, they are real.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

The book should be required reading for anyone interested in UFOs.

I personally would say that the 'true 20%' has nothing whatsoever to
do with 'aliens', but rather misidentified black aircraft in conjunction
with plasma-based effects as PARTIALLY described by the UK
government in Project Condign.

Kev

You seem to have taken the wrong interpretation from the info you think you know from this thread or elsewhere. None of that was about UFOs not being actually what they give every appearance of being, none of it. It was about a government's operations to conceal, hide, ignore, misinform and lie about a very real situation.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The movie does not try to prove or disprove the basic premise. It simply shows you things you may not have known before. It was worth watching.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

What about this film? Do they attempt to prove the basic premise, or do they present the premise as one to be taken at face value?

I think its pretty objective in the sense that they don't try to prove or disprove anything. They essentially give you the story from Doty's perspective. It left me with the impression that there is something to the story, more so then any other UFO "documentary" which leave out critical pieces of information in order to sell you ET. I was also left with the impression that Doty is as confused as the poor souls that he led astray. In other words, there is a web of confusion spun by the government around the topic in general. They WANT you to believe in ET for whatever reason. It is definitely worth a watch.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

If there is nothing behind the ufo thing why are they trying so hard with this disinformation campaign? www.philipcoppens.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

blackbird, etc. This is now known.. but the 'mystery'
is still artificially maintained.. it has gained a life
of it's own.

What about the dirigibles of the late 19th century?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Embedded for you.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Socrato

There is a movie called Mirage Men.

Billy Cox over at the Huff Post has recently penned an interesting article about it - maybe the movie itself is propaganda?

A Nest Of Weasels

If you ever want to dissuade the uninitiated from going near The Great Taboo, show them “Mirage Men,” the 2013 documentary based on Mark Pilkington’s eponymous book. Guaranteed to make an honest broker erupt in hives at the mere thought of parting the veil around the UFO mystery, “Mirage Men’s” anatomy of a government disinformation program is brilliant propaganda, and delivered with the sort of polished confidence that could easily make the “Frontline” rotation.

Directed by British crop-circle debunker John Lundberg, “Mirage Men” focuses largely on the activities of Richard Doty, the now-retired USAF Office of Special Investigations agent who screwed several UFO researchers with phony conspiracy yarns and created enough paranoia to put one of them in a psychiatric ward.

Like the book, “Mirage Men” operates on the premise that UFOs are hokum, and inflated by a counterintelligence network determined to conceal its black projects behind a smokescreen of imaginary space aliens. As Pilkington asserts in the documentary, “The UFO mythology develops of its own accord, and the mirage men will just drop a new piece of data, a new meme, some new fake documents into the mix as and when it is expedient for them to do so. And there’s no real need for a sustained UFO deception campaign because the folklore is just perfectly capable of sustaining itself.”

Embroidering its narrative with snippets of ancient Hollywood flying saucer flicks, the doc does a clever job of presenting UFOs as an exclusively pop-cultural phenomenon, circa 1952. No mention, of course, of the scientists and Air Force officials who established the independent reality of UFOs in 1948’s Project Sign because that would've complicated Pilkington's premise. But no matter. The real value of “Mirage Men” is watching a hack like Doty justify his mission on camera..

link

blackbird, etc. This is now known..

Known by who?

Is there actually any evidence for this (apart from unsubstantiated claims made by Gerard Haines) or is it just something people want to believe?

This post goes into more detail about the idea and even UFO cynic Robert Sheaffer calls it 'nonsense'.

Classic, thanks for the good laugh.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Well..

gimme a link for that movie

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

It say the up loader have not made this video accessible in your country..

I´m in Denmark

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Oh there ARE some delicious explanations.

Just not about 'UFOs' and 'aliens'.

Now if you want to talk about plasma-based effects,
the relationship with microwave radiation, Earth
Lights, so-called 'paranormal' effects, 'the Trickster'
the symbiotic relationship between some of these
things and so-called 'human consciousness'

and all sorts of things --- delicious.

But those are different subjects entirely.

Kev

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join