It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the Deal with "Remastered" Games??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
cj6

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'll just get right to it, there are waaaaay too many games being remastered for next-gen and it's getting annoying!! At first I was excited to have games like GTA 5 and Tomb Raider get upgraded and re-released for the new consoles but now it seems like all the developers are jumping on the bandwagon to remaster as many games as they can instead of focusing on new and original ideas. It's lazy!!!! Why bother remastering games from last-gen when they should be focused on the new hardware that they have to work with. I keep reading rumors about Mass Effect and a few other games getting the remaster treatment as well and even though I loved all those games I don't wanna PAY to play them AGAIN!!!! Sure you can say "then don't buy them" but most of the games available for ps4 and xbox 1 are remasters now. Of the 7 games that I own, 4 of them are remasters cuz there's nothing else to play. It's starting to feel like Hollywood with their remakes and reboots of everything and if they went overboard with it I think the video game industry will too. Does anyone actually like and/or want more remasters??

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6

i'd buy killzone 2 as a remaster
i'd buy baldur's gate as a remaster.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is why everything under the sun is remade/revamped/remastered.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I admit, there are a few games I'd totally pay another 60 bucks for if they updated it with nothing other than prettiness. Red Dead series, old GTA games, Def Jam 2, Baldur's Gate (good call, Subfab), Skyrim, Mercenaries 2, etc.

I didn't know they were doing that with the Mass Effect series... I was thinking about busting the old discs out but maybe I'll wait until they get rereleased.

I know what you mean though. I think it actually annoys me more when nothing but sequels come out that are rarely as decent as the ones before it which is why I'd almost rather see a remastering than a sequel.

It's going to be cool when the industry gets back to making original games, though.

cj6

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

So you couldn't pick 2 GOOD games to remaster? Lol jk

cj6

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I never thought to remaster Skyrim....great idea but wouldn't it be better to have Elder Scrolls VI?

Mass Effect getting remastered is still just a rumor but I'm 93% sure it will. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they actually CHANGED important aspects of the game that were limited by last-gen hardware. That's what most remasters fail to do! Don't just give us the same old game we've played already, take advantage of the new hardware and improve it. Just imagine how awesome ME1 and 2 would be if they had the gameplay of ME3....it would be epic! But they probably won't do that it'll just be a standard re-release with "better" graphics.

edit on 18-3-2015 by cj6 because: Bad grammar

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Tryed torchlight? Not a bad balders gate with much better gfx.

As to remastering in general, some games simply dont run on the newer OS platforms and so a remastered one offers not only the chance to play but also upgrades like gfx, 3d, surround sound etc etc.

Yes there a lot out, so who really cares if you buy it again or not?

One im very happy that got remastered was quake one, they dont make them like they used to (also thanks john carmack you total games legend you!)
edit on b4747611 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

In our Sins of a Solar Empire clan we were looking for an alternative game, we got Homeworld Remastered. I think they did a great job bringing back such a great game.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Gotta admit the graphics difference between GTA5 on the PS3 and on the 4 is night and day. Friend of mine has it on the PS3 I have it on the PS4. When he saw the difference he wanted to playt the game all over again to explore how it all looks with the new graphics. As for me. I rarely replay a game I've already beaten once.

edit on 18-3-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Just like on Above Top Secret when you see the same thread "remastered" multiple times over a span of a few years.

People forget, new people come and join, and then like a record repeats itself.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think remastering games from PS3/360 to PS4/ONe is a total waste of time and pure laziness. I can't believe there is actually a market for it. Fair enough if it were games from PS1 or PS2 days even. I would be interested in the remastering of Destruction Derby 2 from ps1. The game developers should charge 1/3 of the full RRP maximum if ever they go down that route. No doubt Capcom will if they could.

Killzone 2 remaster? somebody actually wants that? I could never get into that game.

The only remaster I've bought so far was Resident Evil on the Gamecube a few years ago. I did enjoy that I do admit.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Why remaster skyrim? There are mods out there to completely change the way the game looks and plays. If you have the hardware for it, you can make skyrim look downright phenomenal (for free), complete with added creatures, quests, player housing, etc.

As for remastering old games, I think it's a cash cow but in some cases, there are games I would love to see completely redone (Legacy of Kain or FF7 just off the top of my head, as well as some of the others already mentioned).

From a developers perspective, a remaster can be a quick way to generate some revenue with a can't miss title that everyone would love to play again. Publishers generally don't like to take risks, which can be problematic for smaller studios. A remaster can allow the studio to get a title out the door and bring in some money while securing a profitable deal with a big name publisher (if one can obtain the IP rights for the title).

Personally, I don't mind seeing older games redone. I agree the industry is somewhat lacking in the ingenuity department these days, but I expect to see that change as better engines have become available to smaller indie teams (like unreal 4, which recently went completely free for developers).
edit on 18-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
There were a few games i had for ps3 that i wouldn't mind being redone for ps4 due to programming issues:
skyrim, fallout 3 & new vegas. IMO gran turismo 6 should have been done for ps4.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I was gonna ask what's wrong with Skyrim that needed remastering, but then I remembered you guys are mostly console gamers.

I played with HD textures and mods on my PC and it looked great.

edit on 18-3-2015 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I was talking about consoles. If a person has the hardware and there are talented modders out there, you are totally right.

I used to be a PC gamer but I never got any work done.

Since I switched to consoles, my productivity (and income) magically increased. It's a mystery.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I'm waiting for the Skyrim remaster for ps4. Probably won't happen though.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I quite like when they re-do old games, like the Toejam and Earl remake coming this year (I loved that game back in the Mega Drive days) but it's a bit annoying when they re-release a game thats barely 1-2 years old. Saying that though, I've preordered GTA 5 on steam despite having it on the 360 a couple of years back, I enjoyed it so much that I didn't mind shelling out for the new version.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why do so many people want skyrim on PS4 instead of a new elder scrolls?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Like I said, there were a lot of issues skyrim had on ps3, although I would love a new elder scrolls! Also a new fallout would be great. just not an mmo.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Theres BG1 and 2 remastered with a 1.5 in the works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join