It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12.5% Anti-depressant suicide rate False. CORRECT results Show 56% !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

I meant it literally. If they wanted to kill themselves, And were planning on it and were high on anti-depressants well they did it. They would become part of that 56% that have done so is what i was saying so i meant it in the literal sense.

There are people who take anti-depressants who don't want to kill themselves you know.
And if they didn't have any intention to do so. Then they probably wouldn't. All im saying is these pills don't stop people from doing what they want to do.
edit on pm30000003115Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:55:44 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: anton74

originally posted by: AnuTyr
a reply to: SpongeBeard

Journalist Source link for Article

Here you go.

Can you point out part that says they are 56% more likely to commit suicide?

Karolinska Institutet stated to the court: ”that information has now been produced ... The resul t shows that ‘the correct percentage’ is 56, meaning that of the persons who had been treated for depression in psychiatric care in the last five yea rs before suicide, 56% had antidepressants in their blood when they committed suicide.”

Well looking through the PDF press Ctrl+F then type 56 and you will see it.
edit on pm3u3115Tue, 10 Mar 2015 18:00:28 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The whole industry is designed to create a strong dependence on the meds and blind faith in the "doctors" that prescribe them. The more antidepressants destabilize a patient, the more they will need to depend on their psychiatric treatment, and therefore good for business.

The more people kill themselves, the more it fosters a culture of fear, and the more people flock to psychiatry and Big Pharma, not realizing that those prescription drugs are some of the primary reasons for the skyrocketing suicide rates.

I was on antidepressants from the age of 12 to the age of 24. It's a miracle I was able to break the cycle and get off them.

link   

originally posted by: anton74

a reply to: SpongeBeard

Journalist Source link for Article

Here you go.

Can you point out part that says they are 56% more likely to commit suicide?

Karolinska Institutet stated to the court: ”that information has now been produced ... The resul t shows that ‘the correct percentage’ is 56, meaning that of the persons who had been treated for depression in psychiatric care in the last five yea rs before suicide, 56% had antidepressants in their blood when they committed suicide.”

Well looking through the PDF press Ctrl+F then type 56 and you will see it.

That doesn't mean 56% more likely.

The problem with this study is that it looks at people that have a serious problem already and have been admitted for care. It doesn't mention for example if the 44% should have been taking meds.

I'm not big on Anti-depressants by the way.

link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

No where near as clear cut as you would like to portray the issue:

en.wikipedia.org...

But what does any of this have to do with the OP? That is the topic at hand. Suicidal people commit suicide. They are also prescribed antidepressants to treat their condition. "Therefore the antidepressants caused the suicide" is beyond contorted logic.
. Do you live in the US? Ever notice how every anti depression pill commercial, after that huge list of side effects, specifically says "may induce thoughts of suicide."

link   
I'm not saying it always works but they really should just legalize MJ.

Who knows, maybe big pharma's got ties with keeping it illegal?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thats a lot of suicides, is that successful suicides, or attempted?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tastyrawmeat

sucessful.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I know anton. I clarified what i meant by my statement.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Those rates are always wrong and always will be. You can't attribute all those deaths to the drugs. When a lot of people on the drugs had suicidal thoughts before seeking the drugs. Because the drugs don't solve the problem and they continue on their path does not make the drug at fault. That said these drugs are dangerous anyway. You can't solve a problem by treating side effects.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
I'm not saying it always works but they really should just legalize MJ.

Who knows, maybe big pharma's got ties with keeping it illegal?

I totally agree with you, and i think that's part of the reason why MJ is being pushed through because it's a better option for anti-depression honestly. But of course, it's not going to eliminate suicidal thoughts and tendencies entirely as it's still up to the person what they do with themselves. It may be harder to justify killing someone else or themselves tho when high on MJ as opposed to the loopyness that anti-depressants give off. But only time will tell. Hopefully we get some proper studies on this subject. I think the toxicity issue of the body having to cleanse itself of man-made synthetics causes a lot of problems with brain chemistry which could change someones perspectives on life easily.

Medicine has been known to cause such an effect, and even MJ has such an effect as well.
edit on pm3u3115Tue, 10 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Very interesting demonstration of the pharmaceutical industry at work.

I've no doubts that anti depressants and other psychiatric drugs can have side effects of, among many other symptoms, suicidal behaviour.

Two adults very close to me committed suicide. They had both indulged in prolonged use of anti depressants.

Obviously there is a risk of suicidal behaviour being a side effect. I would also suggest that certain violent behaviours could possibly be linked.

Sometimes it is essential that drug therapy be used, but it is deeply concerning to be presented with examples of the hushing up of statistics and the "spin" of research being manipulated, etc.

edit on 10-3-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: spelling.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
Those rates are always wrong and always will be. You can't attribute all those deaths to the drugs. When a lot of people on the drugs had suicidal thoughts before seeking the drugs. Because the drugs don't solve the problem and they continue on their path does not make the drug at fault. That said these drugs are dangerous anyway. You can't solve a problem by treating side effects.

But that's the whole point of this study. Is to show just how effective are anti-depressants at preventing suicides. Aparently. Not very effective. All the anti-depressants do is get the person high. And they may not even act or think like themselves when on the drug.

It's hard to track what a person is thinking well on drugs, It's difficult to gauge their willingness to *Act* on those thoughts well on these anti-depressant drugs. But its pretty clear the drugs have little effect in stopping these people who have suicidal tendencies just like you are saying from following through instead of attempting.

What you said, is exactly what the study is fighting to show.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

That's why i posted this because people need to be more aware of these dangers instead of just trusting a psychiatrist to deal with all the issues.

The issues of depression need to be more or less focused on the families ability to make the person WANT TO LIVE. Rather than the families ability to support them getting high on pharmasucles.

I feel for your loss, i also had a friend who was taking anti-depressents kill himself recently as well a couple months ago.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I know anton. I clarified what i meant by my statement.

Not trying to be a jerk, just want to point out how a "study" can be misleading. 10 people could look at this data and come up with 10 different conclusions. Given that these people had been admitted for their problems, I'm surprised that on 56% had Meds in their system. I'd bet that most of the other 44% hadn't been taking their pills.

If you really intend to kill yourself, a few pills aren't going to stop you.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

But that's the whole point of this study. Is to show just how effective are anti-depressants at preventing suicides. Aparently. Not very effective. All the anti-depressants do is get the person high. And they may not even act or think like themselves when on the drug.

Yes i get that, My point was the drugs aren't the cause of suicide, but the ineffectiveness of the drugs. Leaves the with that result. I really don't think any of the drugs cause suicide. Article implies that some are still related.

edit on 10-3-2015 by roth1 because: Put post in quoute on accident.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

That's why i posted this because people need to be more aware of these dangers instead of just trusting a psychiatrist to deal with all the issues.

The issues of depression need to be more or less focused on the families ability to make the person WANT TO LIVE. Rather than the families ability to support them getting high on pharmasucles.

I feel for your loss, i also had a friend who was taking anti-depressents kill himself recently as well a couple months ago.

The problem is that if someone is doing in-patient care, that points too a very serious problem requiring more that just support from the family.

I know several people with depression and only 2 spent time in a hospital. One committed suicide in the hospital and the other was dead within 2 hours of being released. I don't think meds would have stopped either.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That's the whole point tho, If people are high on drugs they are more likely to follow through with their thoughts.

Yes it's entirely dependant on the person, how they feel and how they act. Problem with drugs is, they change the way people feel and they alter the way people act.

It's confusing for sure but with a subject like this it needs to be read in depth.

someone could be feeling like crap one day, Take one of these * happy pills* and say Screw it. Now is the day i do it.

Anti-depressants are prescribed to STOP PEOPLE from committing suicide. If anti-depressants arn't doing what they were made to do. Then why are they perscribing them to people? If they have such negative symptoms besides the suicidal behavior that would make a person feel more likely to follow through rather than attempt.

There is a huge number of medicated people using anti-depressants around the globe. And if they all knew that the pill that is given to them won't help them but has a pretty good chance at making them feel worse physically and mentally then we shouldn't be prescribing them to people with depression at all!

Some suicides can't be prevented or rather, are to complicated of a situation to figure out at this time. But others can be prevented and usually seeking help for these problems is leading one to a path they believe will lead them to feeling better and living a happier life. Problem with that tho is it has the opposite effect.

So do the drugs make people more likely to commit suicide? if you par all the negative effects, and the fact it does not eliminate suicidal thoughts. Chances are Yes. it can make things much worse than what it was in the begining since psychotropics + Anti-depressants have direct impacts on brain development and neural pathways. Altering peoples personalities and life almost permenantly. Like people who take Extacy Ect. Now the extacy thing is only my oppinion.
I view the 2 of them as being very very similar.
edit on pm3u3115Tue, 10 Mar 2015 18:53:02 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I would be curious to discover a few things...

Who prescribed the SSRI's? Dr's? Psychiatrists? Nurse Practitioners?

For those who did commit suicide, while it was while they were under the treatment of the cargivers? DId the attemt to go off of the meds on their own? These things needs to be taken into consideration as you cannot simply go cold turkey with them.

Also, a very easily overlooked fact....no one med is a one size fits all cure. Each person needs a unique diagnoses and the it can take SEVERAL attempts with different meds and doses....

This just isn't as cut and dry as it would seem....

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
There are millions and millions of people on these drugs. I would imagine we would all know many people that have committed suicide if this were accurate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join