It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATHENA Laser Pew Pews a truck out of existence at a range of one mile

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

UH OH "armor peircing jacketed laser beams!! lol

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
there is also magnetically jacketed plasma:

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
there is also magnetically jacketed plasma:

www.sciencedaily.com...

Well the BATF wont let us have them either i guess.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Lasers are overseen by the EPA.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
I understand the need for a test like this, but I kind of wonder how "operationally-relevant" it really was. Yes, the laser is capable of this. But I imagine when the laser is mounted to a fast-moving aircraft, and the truck is driving around, rather than being propped so as to be a larger, immobile target, that it'll be significantly harder to keep that beam focused directly on the engine for the few seconds required.

Amazing technology, though, no matter how one looks at it. Quite troubling, as well.

Ever hear of a wave motion cannon?. The size of it specifically. Now take this laser or the one on the new gerald ford carrier and increase its size to that and powered by the new fusion reactors coming from Skunkworks.(the large city powering type they say they can create)

Now imagine that and with the ability to fire continuously and in a beam large enough to melt a battleship. THAT is what the military wants to have eventually. A laser so powerful that no one would dare stand up to the US ever. Even nuclear warheads/missiles woudnt stand a chance against that kind of power.

Space Battleship Yamoto Live action remake launch sequence and first wave motion gun firing:

edit on 6-3-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: embedding vid

edit on 6-3-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

Finally - someone asks the right question.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That being said, there are developments in the field of material science at the moment, which are truly staggering, and have not yet been intergrated into the military technology that we generally get a peek at.

Look at DARPA's history and how they work.

There is so much tech out in the world today that came from DARPA it's mind blowing.

The good thing about DARPA is that almost all of the tech that was developed using DARPA funds from DARPA projects almost always ends up in the public domain eventually even if it's released in dribs & drabs...

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

EPIC MAN TEARS. That was beautiful. Thats the kind of power we need to have..but with that kind of power comes responsibility to use it fairly and objectively,and currently that is a issue. Anyway would the system i describe be possible to build?

I think it is possible but should it be done though? The ability to fry a entire city i s scary stuff.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

EPIC MAN TEARS. That was beautiful. Thats the kind of power we need to have..but with that kind of power comes responsibility to use it fairly and objectively,and currently that is a issue. Anyway would the system i describe be possible to build?

I think it is possible but should it be done though? The ability to fry a entire city i s scary stuff.

you could build it if we had gravimetric technology to defy gravity. The yamato's main gun is what you call an axial or spinal weapon The weapon is 2/3s of the length of the ship the rear third is engine. the rest of the ship is simply cladd around the weapon. but you run into the issue that to aim the ship must be aligned like a rifle on the target. a few degrees off and your weapon is useless. that is why the Yamoto had secondary and tertiary weapon systems. It Had turreted laser cannon and tertiary rapid fire defensive quad and dual guns. She also had 6 torpedo and missile tubes elsewhere. like in this clip from the second run of the animated version:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Nah...

Just need some good ol' Asgard beam weapons. Takes out an Ori ship every time!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Nah...

Just need some good ol' Asgard beam weapons. Takes out an Ori ship every time!
the most powerful weapon we could come up with is most likely a relativistic impact weapon because you could concievably turn the earth to rubble and fling the bits out of the galaxy with one shot with the requisite mass and speed.

The infamous project rho "Boom Table:" www.projectrho.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

you could build it if we had gravimetric technology to defy gravity. The yamato's main gun is what you call an axial or spinal weapon The weapon is 2/3s of the length of the ship the rear third is engine. the rest of the ship is simply cladd around the weapon. but you run into the issue that to aim the ship must be aligned like a rifle on the target. a few degrees off and your weapon is useless. that is why the Yamoto had secondary and tertiary weapon systems. It Had turreted laser cannon and tertiary rapid fire defensive quad and dual guns. She also had 6 torpedo and missile tubes elsewhere. like in this clip from the second run of the animated version:

Im talking just about the GUN itself. Not the entire ship sheesh. im talking realistic application not anti grav lol!!! Say a huge FEL laser on a dedicated ship platform in say over 100 million watt range? the maybe a land based one on say the highest mountain in the US or smaller ship board versions for the NAVY not the SPACE FORCES! lol hahahaha. oh that always kills me space forces lol.
edit on 15000000pppm by yuppa because: added sentence

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Im talking just about the GUN itself. Not the entire ship sheesh. im talking realistic application not anti grav lol!!! Say a huge FEL laser on a dedicated ship platform in say over 100 million watt range? the maybe a land based one on say the highest mountain in the US or smaller ship board versions for the NAVY not the SPACE FORCES! lol hahahaha. oh that always kills me space forces lol.

imagine an array of laser emitters. each having a relatively low output...say 1 watt or ten or a hundred or a thousand...

a computer controls these individual elements. it uses some for lidar now. at other times these same emitters are recruited to fire a combined beam. it needs 1000 to service a small target or short range targets. it needs more for longer range targets or larger or more hardened targets. it can have several groupings servicing multiple targets in different firing solutions. or it could fire all elements as a massive beam if needed. and on top of that it can fire in conjunction with identical arrays in all firing arcs. or even recruit or be recruited by other platforms in a battle network consisting of ships planes ground emplacements and orbital platforms. if a target passes out of range or sector it can be passed off automatically to an adjacent array or other asset.

because most targets do no require all elements in an array to service a target some can always be firing, some can always be cooling down and some can be being used for target painting and some can be being used for fire control radar and some for communication all at the same time. it could fire hundreds of shots per minute as say the three other identical arrays in the same firing arc as well as 4 to eight more in the overlaping sector coverage from the other firing sectors.

no. it would not be hard to have millions billions or trillions of watts going down range. in fact other than the power source it would be fairly easy. memrister based computers capable of that level of signal processing, and memory are already being built by HP and no doubt others and we have the laser elements now as my article proves.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
when i said the laser weapon would be more like ST:TNG i did not mean firing just a few beams in languid slow tempo. but firing multiple beams; beam after beam chaingun style at any number of targets in any direction simultaneously.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

imagine an array of laser emitters. each having a relatively low output...

The problem with a high number of individual elements, is that each need a targetting system. You cannot aim at the micro radian level of angular precision using an open loop system. You need a closed feedback loop, typically a telescope like device built from the same structure as the laser emitter, and all the tracking logic.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I understand the need for a test like this, but I kind of wonder how "operationally-relevant" it really was. Yes, the laser is capable of this. But I imagine when the laser is mounted to a fast-moving aircraft, and the truck is driving around, rather than being propped so as to be a larger, immobile target, that it'll be significantly harder to keep that beam focused directly on the engine for the few seconds required.

Amazing technology, though, no matter how one looks at it. Quite troubling, as well.

Any you know this how?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

Any you know this how?

I already posted videos showing that tracking and targeting is not a problem, they can track target and destroy a mortar shell with laser.
edit on 7-3-2015 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

well don't give up on antigravity. it could happen. Einstein's GRT allows it and there have been hints about it in numerous scientific experiments. it's not surprising none have risen enough above sigma level to prove it. the GRT coupling of gravity to other forces is incredibly tiny.

but that may change once we know more about the dark sector. there is an article about that that hints to me that antigravity may be incredibly simple if it is related to dark energy. as simple as exciting a graviton to an excited state like in a laser and then letting the excitation state relax. a laser of antigravitation.

EDIT: you do know starfleet was based on wet water navy traditions right down to the rank system.
edit on 7-3-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly

imagine an array of laser emitters. each having a relatively low output...

The problem with a high number of individual elements, is that each need a targetting system. You cannot aim at the micro radian level of angular precision using an open loop system. You need a closed feedback loop, typically a telescope like device built from the same structure as the laser emitter, and all the tracking logic.

with solid state optical aiming techs you can bend the path of any given beam with phase shifting, frequency changes, or by interference from adjacent beams. also the very element that fires a weapon strength beam can also send out a lidar strength beam. so fire control sensors and shooters are the same elements. it works like a phased array radar with a "viewing angle" like a modern led or lcd monitor screen.

EDIT: and as to comutational power needed for that level of signal processing: check out Hewlit Packard's memristor based computer cube.

www.engadget.com...

The result is a computer that can handle dramatically larger amounts of data, all the while using much less power. A Machine server could address 160 petabytes of data in 250 nanoseconds; HP says its hardware should be about six times more powerful than an existing server, even as it consumes 80 times less energy.

put a bunch of these cubes behind each array. signal processing problems solved.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
But at the end of the day they killed a FORD ! Say that a few times A FORD , A FORD. It doesn't sound so impressive now does it. At least it got there the Dodge is still along the road somewhere and they probably used the Chevy for the laser power plant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join