It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Futurist Dr. Stan Schatt --Ask Me Anything!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I’ve spent most of my time the past two decades as a futurist, a technologist and consultant paid to forecast future technology trends and products. In other words, look at a hell of a lot of information coming from all over the place, analyze what data made sense, and then try to figure out what conclusions I could draw. One project, rumor has it, even involved that little “company” headquartered in Virginia.

Long before the X-Files, I wanted to believe in the possibilities of extraterrestrials. The problem for me was the lack of a smoking gun. Every time I thought someone discovered absolute proof of current or previous alien visitation, a naysayer with a few advanced degrees or someone claiming insider status would offer what seemed like a reasonable argument against it.

Still, even if I couldn’t find THE piece of evidence in black and white that would document our treaty with aliens or something hidden in the bowels of the Smithsonian that would prove prior visitation, I could investigate the latest thinking on how we plan to deal with a public first contact whether or not there has been prior secret contact.

The more I looked into that topic, the more convinced I became that the public is being manipulated by mass media to “prepare” it to accept aliens without acting the way the early Brookings Report predicted they would. The result of my research is Extraterrestrial First Contact (available both in paperback and electronic format on Amazon: amzn.to...

I wanted to find out how the various scientists charged with handling a first contact planned to deal with issues such as communications, cultural differences, physiological, ethical, religious, and even moral differences. I’ve broadened my study to include looking at what leading science fiction writers such as David Brin have to say about a first contact since I think novelists have been under less restraints when it comes to saying something against the current consensus saying something against the current consensus.

In fact, I discovered there’s serious disagreement on most of these points, including whether or not to even attempt broadcasting messages.

…so, I’m here so you can ask me anything. Let’s get the conversation going.

********************************************************************************************************
**admin note** Dr. Schatt is our invited guest and we expect him to be treated as an invited and honored guest.

He is gracious enough to give his time and we will be gracious enough to treat him with respect and courtesy. That doesn't mean we can't disagree or challenge his opinions, it means we will do so with the civility and decorum one would give a Professor were you face to face.

PLEASE limit your questions to one. Give your fellow members a chance to get their question answered, these AMAs tend to get very busy very fast so please try to keep your question succinct, it will have a better chance of being answered.
edit on 3-3-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Otherwise, welcome! And I do have a genuine question. I'm 30 years old. Will I live long enough to see the technological singularity, and will I live long enough to be able to transfer my consciousness to a machine body?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: StanSchatt

Do you think the speech by Bibi to Congress today will have any ramifications in the Middle East?

edit on 3 3 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Thanks for the time doing this AMA! Keep your book link because you have some good books people should consider reading.

I wonder your thoughts on manipulating human DNA. The tech seems to be there right now to start eliminating genetic causes for debilitating diseases for our children. Will governments eventually be forced to adopt genetic 'correction' to keep medical costs down?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Glad to have you Chief...

The more I looked into that topic, the more convinced I became that the public is being manipulated by mass media to “prepare” it to accept aliens without acting the way the early Brookings Report predicted they would.

The report is outdated in terms of social paradigmns, but with that said, what arena will most likely experience the biggest Shake Up when the truth comes out..?

Financial system, Organized Religion, Public Resources...?

I'll go with Organized Religion, but that's really just part of a larger Wish List...

Appreciate your time.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Hello Stan and welcome to ATS.

Is there any piece of evidence that makes you think "hmmmm im not so sure thats of an Earthly origin"?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Welcome, we are glad to have you here at ATS.

What one piece of evidence have you come across that is most convincing proof of visitation be it past,present,or future?

Kind of a 2parter do you feel that these beings are from outside of our religious world for lack of a better term. Basically, do you feel we knew them in the past as Gods or Demons?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
I think there are huge ramifications. The problem is that there are no real alternatives right now to a negotiated treaty other than war. Given that we are bound to Israel in a mutual defense treaty, that means war for us. Since Russia has been drawing closer to Iran, it creates a really messy situation.

I think the problem with Bibi's speech is that it makes the treaty with Iran is makes this a Democrat versus Republican situation so the Republicans might very well make it impossible to sign a treaty with Iran.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Do you worry about an "Alien Plague" similar to, but reversed from H.G. Wells War of the Worlds where Earth bacteria defeated the "Martians" who had no resistance.

Chaos theory says that even advanced Visitors will carry micro-organisms and they -will- escape.

If you don't worry about that, why?

TIA

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun
Yes, certainly you should live long enough to see the singularity. Ray Kurzweil estimates another 25-30 years. From everything I've been reading (I'm very interested in the idea of the singularity and human longevity), we should be there. The major issue appears to be overcoming chromosome mutation during cell mutation.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hello Dr. Schatt,

As someone that works forecasting future technology, do you think there are current technologies derived from alien technology as some suggest? if so what cannot be explained by earthly knowledge.

Do you think some technologies are being controlled for profit, as not finding cures for chronic illness as the current treatments are too profitable and so on.

What its your opinion of graphene, revolutionary material or just a hype bubble?

Thanks for having the time and will to be here today.
edit on 3-3-2015 by Indigent because: typo & wrong words

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge
That's a fascinating question since I've spent a lifetime thinking about that and looking for evidence. I still think the first-hand accounts of ordinary folks at Roswell who described a very light but strong metallic substance with what looked like hieroglyphic writing on it is something that never has been explained satisfactorily. I'm also very interested in some of the photos taken of the Moon along with the lights on Ceres.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Welcome Stan.

In your opinion do any form of Crop Circle identify alien visitation ? Or do you believe like most, all are man made.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7
It is a concern, but any environment where we would have to wear a spacesuit probably would mean that visitors from that planet would have microbes that couldn't survive in our environment. Of course, they might mutate, and then we'd be facing a plague with no antidote.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Welcome....

I consider myself an armchair futurist and from a broad perspective; the future of planet earth looks bleak, with looming wars, eco disasters and a general malaise of people in the 1st world. And politics tending to Corporate rule. Yellowstone with global implications...it's just a matter of time imo.

What's your opinion... are you optimistic of fatalistic?
edit on 3-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Futurist, huh?...
...so where is my personal jetpack? I need to fly to work.

Seriously though (and keeping with the 'preparedness for first contact" topic), why do you believe we are being especially prepared for contact now when it seems the idea of ET civilizations was already a common idea in the minds of the masses 100 years ago -- such as the popular culture idea of Percival Lowell's Martian civilization?

Georges Méliès early 20th century film "A trip to the Moon" fed off of the the common person's belief in the possibility (even probability) of Moon men. If there is a concerted effort to "prepare" us, doesn't it seem that we should be prepared by now?

Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to be here.

edit on 3/3/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Hi Dr. Schatt, thank you for taking the time to be on ATS.

Given your brief involvement with that little company in Virginia, I have a rather big question.

A long time ago, I encountered reasonably credible information that pointed to the 1947 Roswell, NM incident as being the first disinformation propaganda of the Cold War. The premise was to fool the soviets into thinking we captured advanced extraterrestrial technology.

The timing fits, as what's now known as the Truman Doctrine effectively began in March of 1947 when President Truman presented Soviet containment policies to congress… which started the cold war, and was four months before the incident in Roswell.

First: do you believe our clandestine capabilities were mature enough at the time to pull that off?

Second: is this a credible explanation for the events in Roswell in July of 1947?

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Not that you will but you could die in some accident today so how can this question be answered?' PS here's hoping you have a long and happy future. a reply to: ScientificRailgun

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
I wrote a SF book once where a scientist argued that what you should be looking for are technologies that spring up with no logical links to earlier technology, no logical progression. Probably the technology that many people point to as a real breakthrough is the transistor. Maybe it's a logical progression, but maybe not.

I am concerned about the fact that more and more research is being done privately with a profit motive. Take the fact that some institutions are applying for patents on specific genes. They then can set the price for a cure, and it could be so high that insurance companies won't pay for it. That means only the 1% get the cure.

I think grapheme has a bright future, but it will take a while. I published a book last year on 3D Printing and looked into that technology at that time. My experience in forecasting new technology tells me that it always takes longer for a new technology to go mainstream than the general public thinks.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
With the internet and the expansion of communication many people are talking who would nominally have been enemies by virtues of their leadership.
I have felt that isf this trend continues warfare will diminish ,am I correct?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join