It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Futurist Dr. Stan Schatt --Ask Me Anything!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: knightswan
Do I believe that the 1% have some common goals and collaborate on certain things? Do they have inordinate power now in controlling the world's economy? Sure, but I'm inclined not to believe in the concept of a continuing conspiracy going back as long as advocates of the New World Order believe. I don't believe any such alliance would be based on a common religion but on self-interest.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Hi there, You mentioned that you have also written science fiction novels.

Have you created a concept or invention that will follow the "science fiction leads to science fact" trend or do you feel as a scientist and futurist you have a somewhat unfair advantage?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thank you for giving us some of your valuable time! It is a real pleasure to read through some of your answers.

My question is about nanotechnology. I have followed it for years and it seems to be the holy grail of many different technologies. It seems under the right circumstances, nanotechnology can accomplish anything, from patrolling the human body for diseases, to rebuilding tissue after a gun shot in mere minutes. From making your house into a potable transformer to fully utilizing periodic elements as building blocks in a 3D printer. It seems anything and everything will be possible in the near future. If everyone had a nanobot 3D printer that could alter hydrogen atoms into any other element by changing it's subatomic structure, do you think the implications would be dire, or enlightening?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
I think the reason some scientists are trying to develop a first contact plan is that the more primitive race has fared so poorly in previous first contact scenarios. I do think, sometimes, that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. As I wrote in my new book, the SETI people are planning for a first contact while some government folks might already have engineered such a meeting. I do think that all the mass media focus on the possibilities of a first contact as well as increased UFO sightings suggests to me that maybe there is a concerted effort to prepare the general public for what government already knows.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: StanSchatt

Do you think most UFOs are Alien technology or the planes we will know about in 20/30 years?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hey Dr Schatt thank you for the time and paitience how are your feelings about the rising methane levels do you feel towards methane causing global Warming, And what are your sentiments to yellowstone do you see an eruption in the next decade or so???

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
The more I think about it, the more I think that major breakthroughs are as likely to come through increased use of senses we don't use enough. Take sight as an example. Some people "see" things others don't. Are they nuts? Maybe some are, but remember that all of our senses operate within ranges. Some people have a greater spectrum in which to view life. Similarly, we have other senses that haven't been explored enough except by mystics. I think a lot of what we call the paranormal might be explained by science several decades by now when we start to utilize more of what we have inside us.

As far as thinking up technology in SF novels that result in actual products, I haven't done that as of yet because most of my work has focused more on other issues like differences in morality, ethics, psychology, etc. You'll notice that the percentage of SF novels that focus on "hard" science have declined in recent years. It's tough to write a good story if characters have to spend a lot of time explaining technology. You have to try to explain the technology obliquely, perhaps the way Peter Hamilton does.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886
Yeah, I'm concerned. I can understand why wealthy people who are heavily invested in industries that pollute would want to convince people that climate change is a lie, but it's disturbing how gullible people are in accepting something when they see pictures showing major changes in ice packs, rising water level, etc.

As far as Yellowstone, I understand things are heating up there. An eruption could bring about nuclear winter, so, yeah, it's a concern, but I don't think there's anything we could do about it.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thank you for the response i look foward to future endeavors!!!a reply to: StanSchatt

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thank you for taking part of AMA.

From a purely speculative standpoint, if humans were genetically engineered like some ancient alien advocates believe then why would a scientifically advanced society just abandon their work?

Thank you for your time here.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
I think the UFOs are alien technology and not some kind of super secret human technology. Now, we believe such craft use magnetic fields, so that might lead our scientists toward research that could result in our own planes that use such technology, but I think that's quite a ways off.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

What about the formation of a world government? Recently Bill Gates said in an interview that he thought it would make life easier. What are your thoughts about that?
edit on 3-3-2015 by knightswan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday
The question you ask could just as easily be asked about God-- That's what people sometimes refer to as God as the great clockmaker who starts a clock and then leaves. To answer your question, there are several theories why an alien race might seed us and then leave: They might not want to interfere with our development for experimental reasons, they might have us quarantined for other reasons, or perhaps something happened to them as a race. Why do people supposedly have children? The answer is to become immortal through their children. A race might seed lots of worlds via probes. It might prove to be economically and practically impossible to follow up with manned ships to check up on how the "seeds" are growing.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: knightswan
A world government might help us when facing aliens because we would speak with one voice and react militarily with one coordinated force. The problem is that I don't see any countries willing to cede their independence and power to a world body. Look what's happening to the EU. It's de-evolving. So, I agree with Gates that in theory it would be a good idea, but who wants to go first?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hi there, thanks for joining us and literally "spending" your time here.

What is your future prediction in regards to humans and water. We need it for life in all regards; drinking, washing, bathing, cleaning, etc. etc. We are a water planet, yet cities like Las Vegas, Sao Paulo and others are going dry, along with many other populating areas that don't have natural water sources or reserves to support the population.

So the question is the first sentence, how will water factor into the future in your opinion?

Thanks again!
edit on 3-3-2015 by Philippines because: added the word 'factor'

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a warm welcome to you stan.

a scenario for you.

if contact is established with ebe's and from the outset they show utter distain for the leadership of the planet,
yet compassion for humanity as a whole bearing in mind observation or field studies already undertaken.

the assumption being that control and power down here on earth does not make a good bedfellow with any type of ebe as they may be beyond materialistic/power trappings.

the assumption that the entities can read any mind within eyesight and know the deepest of thoughts.

with the above considered how will the various powers on earth react to this and do you think they would be prepared for an ultimatum that includes their stability of tenureship negated?

will the earthly powers go down fighting to try and keep the current status?

in advance of any reply, many thanks for your attendance on the board.
regards fakedirt.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

Thanks for the time doing this AMA! Keep your book link because you have some good books people should consider reading.

I wonder your thoughts on manipulating human DNA. The tech seems to be there right now to start eliminating genetic causes for debilitating diseases for our children. Will governments eventually be forced to adopt genetic 'correction' to keep medical costs down?

This is an excellent topic for s thread of its own. Keep it in mind.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the answer on my first question.

1. I see the chances that a non-terrestrial, non-human aliens who might encounter us to be benign to be very small, with lots of chances for a variety of reasons to be not beneficial or downright harmful. What is your take on the danger, as Hawking says of 'not keeping our heads down' (WRT SETI). Hostile aliens - low or high probability.

2. Do you believe anything Col. Corso said in his book 'The Day After Roswell'. A lot of people think he's making up 'stories' out of whole cloth. What do you think?
edit on 3-3-2015 by Maverick7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Cogidubnus
Nanotechnology has enormous potential benefits in manufacturing as well as in medicine. Unfortunately, people have lost fortunes "betting" on companies. Every year it is proclaimed to be the next breakthrough technology, and each year the results are promising to a point. I think ultimately it will achieve its potential.

As far as the 3D angle, I wrote an entire book not he subject--One geared to investors. Imagine a few years from now being able to download a schematic to replace any part that goes bad. Your 3D printer would produce the part. Need a prescription filled, your doctor could send you the "formula" and your 3D printer could print out the medicine. Of course that's way out in the future because of all kinds of issues like quality control, etc.

Someday we should be able to produce virtually anything using our 3D printer. It would be like the replicator in Star Trek movies. Hopefully we'll start to see much faster, cheaper models so that producing a small object won't take hours.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7
Unfortunately I think some of the SETI scientists are much too optimistic about alien benevolence. I don't believe that just because an alien race could develop technology to make it a space traveler means that it isn't aggressive. In fact, I'd argue that aggressiveness is a key part of a race's evolution, expansion, and survival. In my new book I suggest that one logical outcome of a first contact is that we could meet alien missionaries. If so, why should we believe anything they tell us, based on on our race's history of first contacts.

As far as Corso I honestly don't know. When I taught college at the University of Houston, I had a student who told me that his father had worked at an Air Force base. He saw all kinds of strange things being transported there from the Roswell area. Everything was tightly segregated so that airman worked on only a small part. So, for example, someone might just be testing the melting point of a piece of metal.

The fact that this student told me something his father told him in confidence makes me suspect that it was far more than a weather balloon that crashed in Roswell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join