It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See who stars a post.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have seen many forums were if you give thumbs up and stars you see who gave them.

I think ATS should have this.

You can see who encourages star baiters and people who star controversial things but are too cowardly to back it up with a comment.
We all know when a someone puts up a racist comment or worse someone will will always star it, be fun to see who.

I especially think we should see when staff give applause and who.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I think this is a good idea. I am going to give it a (mental) star.

It would be a nice way to get people to take accountability for the topics they star. I don't however, think that because someone gives a star but doesn't comment that that makes them 'cowardly'. Sometimes I may star a comment but not comment myself, but I don't write a reply because the person I star may have said in a great way what I would have said. I try to avoid posting a reply when twelve people have already commented with my same sentiment.

I do see many topics that are 'starred to death' that seem to fit the bill that you describe above, and in those instances, I think it would speak volumes to see exactly who is handing out the stars all haphazardly.

Edit: I forgot I can't star in this forum!

edit on 2-3-2015 by MojaveBurning because: ..

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

But those folks that like to make multiple accounts to star themselves/hit their report button anytime anyone disagrees with them would lose their "thrones" if that happened.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Bunch of jealous nosy micro managers !!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Stupid idea.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

good idea

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It would deal quite a blow to the sockpuppet population on ATS.

However, I see the current system as elegant in it's own way. It's usually pretty easy to spot a person, and their various sockpuppets if you apply some critical thinking. Of course, I'll never accuse anyone of being a sockpuppet or a shill, but I have my own thoughts on the subject and respond to these people with that idea in mind.

I think it's part of what makes ATS fun. Figuring out who's who and doing your own detective work to find out who the sockpuppets are.
edit on 2-3-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: Grammar, why?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I disagree. It would be awful. People star anonymously for a reason -no feelings get hurt and no discussion about who stars which posts. We don't have to see stuff like 'why didn't you star me?' or 'why did you star that and not this?'. It's anonymous and it should stay that way, IMHO.

As for seeing who staff give applause to, that was done 10 years ago and I liked it when we had it. We had a window on the main page that showed the name of the people getting applause in real time. At the time it worked well. But showing which posts get applause?? I'm wondering if people would get snarky and say 'he got applause for THAT but I didn't for THIS?' That kind of thing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Idk, seems like the effort to implement & program wouldn't be worth it.

Now being able to Star posts in the Board Business forum? You got my vote on dat.

What if Reply to a post automatically starred it, then you'd at least know people are giving you stars outside of the direct responders (which is usually something I assume anyways)
edit on 2-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
People have many reasons to star a post, but why ever they do it, the stars are there to be given as they see fit.

I don't want to be held accountable for starring a post. There are enough things I am dissuaded from doing nowadays, I'd like to keep my freedom to star posts anonymously.

Sometimes I might star a post just to give some support to some beleagured member who is just about holding their own in a thread full of people who are trying to shout them down - I don't need to derail a thread any further by speaking up for that member or complaining about the antics of the others. A star is just a small encouragement for someone who is doing their best to fight their corner.

Why should I be deterred from starring a post because someone else on here might disapprove? I don't know any other members personally and I don't care what they think about the stars I give out - if they are given to the worthy or not. I'll make my own decision on who is worthy and star away.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The capability is there already, it couldn't not be.

There is likely a perfectly reasonable explanation for not resolving the relationship. Probably just because it is a pain to implement and would take up too much screen real estate to indicate the user names of every star.

Think about it, how else could that level of transparency be shown? Either a giant list on every post or a 'details' link. I don't blame them, especially since the last update caused some irreparable damage.

Not really worth it.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'd like to be able to un-star for those moments when I realize what I originally thought a post or comment meant isn't what I it means.

edit on 2/3/15 by ccseagull because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
What bothers me the most is people who dontknow how to flag a topic. Just because you dont agree with the OP does not mean it is not flag worthy.

It can be a great thread with great debates but since it gets no flags it gets slept on.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

a reply to: xuenchen

Says some of the worst star baiters

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I disagree. It would be awful. People star anonymously for a reason -no feelings get hurt and no discussion about who stars which posts. We don't have to see stuff like 'why didn't you star me?' or 'why did you star that and not this?'. It's anonymous and it should stay that way, IMHO.

As for seeing who staff give applause to, that was done 10 years ago and I liked it when we had it. We had a window on the main page that showed the name of the people getting applause in real time. At the time it worked well. But showing which posts get applause?? I'm wondering if people would get snarky and say 'he got applause for THAT but I didn't for THIS?' That kind of thing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Applaud yourself please. And tell Skeptic I said you deserve a raise. He'll surely listen.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: thesaneone

a reply to: xuenchen

Says some of the worst star baiters

Of course you have proof of this.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Applaud yourself please. And tell Skeptic I said you deserve a raise. He'll surely listen.

Wait .. what?? ... I'm supposed to be getting paid??

Seriously though .. I can see putting the window back up on the main page that shows who is getting applause. Put their names up real time as they get it. But other than that, the rest should be private. IMHO.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Would be chaos.

Everyone stars for differing reasons I imagine. I think its generally nice to star if a post is well written regardless of thoughts on it. Some days I enjoy reading a thread so I star more. Sometimes I don't have time so I star less. I doubt I'd even recognize my own starring habits nevermind interpret anyone elses.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
In defense of sheeple everywhere, I say no.
It would be an all out sheeple hunt.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
People have many reasons to star a post, but why ever they do it, the stars are there to be given as they see fit.

I don't want to be held accountable for starring a post. There are enough things I am dissuaded from doing nowadays, I'd like to keep my freedom to star posts anonymously.

Agreed... what he/she said!!

I think it would lead to petty arguments and hard feelings plus it would certainly dissuade me from starring, just out of principle really. Had enough of 'Big Brother' as it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join