It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See who stars a post.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I see no benefit for this. Hell people drag up what members post in other threads. What next? "How can you say that when you starred that post?" Just something that would divide people further imo.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The stars are just people usually stating they agree with an opinion. An opinion isn't necessarily the same as fact or truth.

I would be more concerned about people giving out supposed 'fact' or 'truth' but are an anonymous person the the 'net. Why would anyone, most of the time, believe people are who they claim.
edit on 3/2/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Sounds too much like the facebook ''like'' system, where people feel obligated to ''like'' posts not to offend.

I think anonymity when starring and flagging is the only way for ATS.

Anonymity is more truthful when it is about opinions and far less stressful when there isn't anyone to criticise it. The dynamics of ATS depends on the ability to post freely, anonymously and without accountability, it is part if it's allure.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe the most simplest option is just stop one word or one sentences trolling or baiting sentences that add no value to the topic?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Sounds too much like the facebook ''like'' system, where people feel obligated to ''like'' posts not to offend.

I think anonymity when starring and flagging is the only way for ATS.

Anonymity is more truthful when it is about opinions and far less stressful when there isn't anyone to criticise it. The dynamics of ATS depends on the ability to post freely, anonymously and without accountability, it is part if it's allure.

Did not think about it that way......Ya you might be right.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Klassified
Applaud yourself please. And tell Skeptic I said you deserve a raise. He'll surely listen.

Wait .. what?? ... I'm supposed to be getting paid??

Seriously though .. I can see putting the window back up on the main page that shows who is getting applause. Put their names up real time as they get it. But other than that, the rest should be private. IMHO.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

First. Thank you!

Secondly. I could go for that idea, but I'm wondering if maybe the post or the OP should remain hidden, for the reasons you stated above.
If I were a mod, there are times I would have applauded certain threads or posts, not because I agreed with the OP, but because it was so well written and sourced. And I'm reasonably sure staff does the same thing. I can see it now...
"You actually applauded that thread/post FF? Wow. What does that say about you as a moderator?"
It's a shame, but guaranteed it will happen. And mods will become ever so careful about what they applaud because of it. Though I still like your idea, even so.
edit on 3/2/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

a way to avoid that is maybe allowing the mods to give a simple reason?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The cred of what is posted, in my eyes, has nothing to do with stars or applause. I base it on what is posted. Opinion of course is just opinion but if it is meant to be factual, that can often be checked. If it is just some conspiracy statement then that is all it is, some idea.

A forum is going to be occupied by every shade of poster with every part in the game in play. It's just the world.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
No I am just interesting to see who are the real hypocrites on ATS or as Railgun said who are the sock puppets.

I thought that might be the real reason. Seems to me the way to approach ATS is to debate the topics, not go after other members credibility.

Witch hunts are always wrong and you are in fact proposing a tool to use to conduct witch hunts against members you don't happen to agree with.

McCarthyism comes to mind.

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence. It also means "the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism.

Same motivation it seems to me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Exitt

No I'm talking about very real, but veiled, racism that stands out but cannot be punished because someone cannot be banned based on a (very correct) assumption...

I also dislike seeing a mass of stars for the PC brigade as well...

They both irk me...

But as it stands it is what it is.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Problem is there are those that DONT debate the topic and instead make simplistic 1 word or sentience baiting posts with no substance and get away with it just to troll and bait.

I have no problem with people who view I disagree with. There are plenty of members who views I disagree with but respect.

I would also like away to balance mod bias too. I see plenty of posts removed that are either borderline or shouldn't be and other posts that are out right T&C no no's that don't.

I also see no reason why one would want to "hide" or be ashamed of having there stars shown?

And in therory I can not use such information for a witch hunt anyway as that would be against the T&C would it not?
edit on 2-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Honestly,I'm extremely reserved (or self censored) on ATS.

I don't have to be so reserved on facebook-where all of the people that grew up with me know that I don't hide my true feelings-never have never will.

Unless it's against the rules-(?)-I will (from now on) let every single human that I agree with on ATS know that I gave them a star.

Not to be a smart alec-just showing that I am 100% on board with backing things that I agree with.

I like ATS-and will work on my profile/avatar so that it doesn't seem like you are conversing with an angry bot.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It still doesn`t say anything as why someone starred a certain post, you would need to have an explanation option next to it, which is not workable.

If someone says something out of lack of knowledge which goes against my believes, I will star them every now and then if it was not done deliberately as an example...do it deliberately, then no stars for you.

Sometimes someone says some good stuff, but also some not so good stuff in a post...I would like to be able to give half stars in those cases, now I just don`t think it`s fair to give a whole star.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Applause and stars and flags are mine to give freely to whom every I wish and for whatever reason I wish. I don't have to explain myself. And you don't have to explain yourself when you star or flag a thread either. If reasons had to be given, then it would turn into a free for all discussion and mob rule over who should and shouldn't get applause/stars/flags. I'll give 'em as I see fit and no one has a say in it whatsoever, just as you give your stars and flags as you see fit and no one has a right to dissect your reasoning.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I would also like away to balance mod bias too. I see plenty of posts removed that are either borderline or shouldn't be and other posts that are out right T&C no no's that don't.

That's because you aren't privy to staff discussions. This is getting old. We get crapped on by conservatives, liberals, religious, atheists, etc. People only see staff actions from their own perspective. The VAST staff deals with ALL issues. We have too many differing opinions to have a "bias".

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FalcoFan

It's funny, I operate almost under the exact opposite method. I do not censor myself here (aside from dirty words) and speak my opinion openly and honestly, as opposed to the more censored version of myself I present to friends and family (most of whom are bleeding heart liberals. Blech)

I feel like I can say what I feel here without fear of being ostracized for my views. I don't really care if anyone stars my posts. My opinion comes out unfiltered for better or worse.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

...and other posts that are out right T&C no no's that don't.

Alert them. We are just volunteers and many times there aren't a whole lot of us around to see everything. If you think there is a T&C violation then alert it so staff can discuss it and come to a consensus.

edit on 3/2/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

As a member, I used to enjoy receiving applause and would simply send a message to say thanks - never asked why. Alerting good posts by others was a way to get them recognition too and not many people do that anymore.

As a mod, it's no problem to explain to the recipient why they got the positive feedback of an applause. In practice, nobody ever asks why, very few say thanks and that's all cool. Nevertheless, I wouldn't enjoy having to justify an applause to a wider audience. I say justify because someone will always question why so and so got applauded and someone else did not.

Applause are just digital compliments that reflect a pat on the back or saying 'well done' in real life.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Aside from the issues you've said, I also think seeing who starred/flagged would quickly devolve ATS into some conspiracy popularity contest, or entire sections of the board may become closed-off hugboxes where stars are shared like dirty needles.

I don't want that ATS.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Honestly, I've never asked why I've gotten applause because I feel like the metaphorical pat on the head was praise enough and asking why would seem like I was digging for compliments. I appreciate the occasional nod I get from the staff here, but pressing into why I got that nod seems selfish to me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join