It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Chat is No More

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hello chatters…

Our continued problems with our "chat vendor" has come to a head, and I've removed the chat link from the menu, and disabled the chat service.

Their customer service is horrible, after more than a week of downtime a few months back (with no response from support during the downtime) they have turned off our one-year subscription with three months left, demanding another payment to turn it back on. I didn't even bother responding (this isn't the first time they wanted more money during the one-year subscription, somehow thinking we were on the monthly plan, but the first time they turned it off before asking).

Not that we could afford keeping the service on at this point.

I can't promise when, or if, chat will return. This thread will be updated with any new news on the matter.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
...ATS had a live chat feature?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thanks for trying to keep chat going.

I'm sure that something will be figured out in the future.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

So....

Any suggested chat room forums in the meanwhile?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I won't miss something that I never knew existed.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
awwwww......

I quite liked using the chat function but I think it was under used my memebers and i honestly don't think i have ever really seen more than 10 people on line at any one point.

So sad to see it go, but I can totally understand the reasons why.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

On that note, can you offer an update as to how the donations have helped/not helped to date? I'd be curious to know if there was enough of an impact made to offset the expenses.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Can I make a suggestion?

How about just opening up a channel on Freenode, DALnet or another large irc server.

www.mirc.com...

setup a page with a web irc chat, such as qweb and your done.

qwebirc.org...

it should be pretty painless to setup.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Excellent suggestion....

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Thanks.

And this doesn't have to be a permanent solution.
Just until something better or a final solution gets implemented.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We had a chat option jeez ive been missin out sorry to hear that were having issues with the servers for the chat rooms, hopefully we get one back up id like to know about a chat feature on ATS!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Honestly...no reason why it couldn't be a permanent solution. IRC is essentially free, and the only true constrictions you'd be placed under would be those of the people running the IRC server.

Many forks of the road in my life have been heavily influenced by IRC...no reason to exclude it now

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I wondered what happened. I thought it was just me not being smart enough to find the link. I was trying to find it so I could ask a mod a question.
Those chat people sound shady. Either that or they just don't have their stuff together. Either way, you're better off without them.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

No worries..I am sure the community of ATS will figure out something..There are some smart people on here...Kudos to Nullifides and grey580 for trying to find solutions...

What a Beautiful Day

blend57
edit on 2-3-2015 by blend57 because: Inserted music video

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

On that note, can you offer an update as to how the donations have helped/not helped to date? I'd be curious to know if there was enough of an impact made to offset the expenses.

Would be nice huh?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Not that we could afford keeping the service on at this point.

Trim the fat. Cut chat since the service is screwing ATS anyways. The money for it can now be used elsewhere for more important things.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We've previously stated that the terms with our hosting provider does not allows us to use IRC services.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Only just become a member so I guess I won't miss what I've never know.

The chat service company do sound horrible to deal with so maybe it's for the best

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

We've previously stated that the terms with our hosting provider does not allows us to use IRC services.

Now ain't that some corporotacracy beuracratic bull#

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Technically you're not.

Server side there is no IRC going on.

Everything irc happens on the client side. All you're doing is hosting a webpage with a plugin.

I can understand the why. Since running an IRC server is a security hole. But you won't be running an IRC server. Just a page that lets people connect to an IRC server.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join