It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Chat is No More

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
(post by grey580 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
We've previously stated that the terms with our hosting provider does not allows us to use IRC services.
What if some random member, say, A Certain Scientific Railgun, were to set up a chat server on one of her Texas proxies, and just happened to give access to said hypothetical chat server for use to other ATS members as they saw fit, and just happened to give moderator/owner rights to certain mods and owners of ATS?
edit on 2-3-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

What if some random member, say, a certain Ksihkehe, thinks that would awesome. I've been using irc for ages. I would definitely use an irc chat.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

We're not going to allow any linked services that are for ATS members, or branded as from ATS, on another domain where we don't own and operate the code, or at least lease the access through a professional arrangement.

There are far too many phishing opportunities that get into serious privacy implications.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

What if I were to lease access to you for the exorbitant price of 0.01 yearly?

As an aside, I totally understand the reluctance, having worked in the IT business for several years now, you are completely correct that unless someone is 100% trustworthy, allowing members/mods access to a service that may allow the service provider to nab IPs from the members is an unacceptable risk.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Not really much of a loss in my opinion only that is. I tried it off and on for the past two years and not once did I find an interesting chat happening. What I did find almost every time was mindless drivel and just plain crap with the same posters there every time I logged in.

I won't miss it one bit.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I don't know why ATS needs a chat room.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Good riddance.

😐 ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Anyone can set up their own chat room with Chatango and it doesn't cost anything.

Once it's set up by whoever decides to do it, it would just be a matter of providing a link and inviting any interested parties to come in for a chat

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Thanks for the update Mister Overlord.

Sorry I'm so slow in responding today - woke up early, noticed chat was down, was slightly befuddled and sad and then got lost in the urban landscape. Just got home and read your thread. Sorry to hear of the loss, but that chat client sounds like a right bunch of poopie-heads.

Glad you ditched them.
No one blackmails ATS!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

There are many free chat server scripts that could be integrated into this forum.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It seems to be the common opinion here that...

what I didn't know existed, I don't miss

I for one had grown to enjoy it over the past few days...if not week or two.

I often find the need to "be" with others. To talk.

Suffice it to say, it has helped.

And I miss it, and the people I was talking to.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I knew chat existed, used chat in the past, wasn't overly excited about it. Now that it is gone I want chat. Darn stupid human psychology.

I feel bad for all the people who enjoyed it and used it regularly.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Please keep us updated on the progress of the chat room. I just started to post, and was hoping to hit 50 posts so I could use the chat function.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Famouszor

None of which I like. Chat is a dying entity everywhere.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

It's really a shame that live chat is dying, at least in popular internet terms. It's kind of funny, when the internet was in it's toddler stage, BBS's were the go-to for human interaction on this digital medium. There were a few attempts at live chat rooms but they were clunky like MUT. When IRC was introduced in the late 80's it really began to take off. Then programs like ICQ and AIM took the popular reins and skyrocketed to popularity. Suddenly, there were even web chat rooms everywhere. AOL had them, Yahoo had them. People congregated from all over the globe to share in the wonderous joy that was in talking to someone half a world away instantaneously.

Now, it seems, things like Facebook, twitter, etc have taken away part of that original magic. IRC is a dying breed, relegated to the shadowy corners of the internet and talked about only in the hushed tones reserved for shadier business.

What happened?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

cell phone texting happenned. that and people not sitting down as much.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I have been in maybe twice in the year, but I think it is a great resource for registered members, a value add if you will for all their contributions to the site.
Is there no way to keep it open for them? At all, zip? none? nothing? Its dead gone? finished? thats it?

edit on 3-3-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Nope, looks like it's gone. Probably for the best anyway, it was mostly just a bunch of people talking over one another. It would be nice if that annoying black box pop up on the lower right hand side of ATS would vanish a long with it though, I can't stand that thing, It slows down everything on the page, and the pop up blocker doesn't stop it. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

You have to understand the personalities of the folks who were regulars there....we didn't talk over one another - we just understood each others conversational idiosyncrasies well enough that what looked like chaos to most, was just how ideas were exchanged. It takes a little getting used to, and knowing the personality behind the screen name to understand the flow.

I won't deny that for someone as socially isolated as myself, ATS chat was a godsend for social contact and relaxation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join