It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware ! Cops Now Jaywalking and Ticketing for " Not Yielding to a Pedestrians"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I recently heard about this where I live and read an article in the local paper.

Lets say you see someone crossing the street, he's still on the other side so you continue driving as you pose no danger to him, .... You then get pulled over and cited for not yielding to a pedestrian.

Technicaly you cant drive as long as they are ON the street.

Number one, the cops are breaking a law to enforce another law !

I dont know about where you live, but here kids just walk in the street without even looking and just Expect for everyone to stop.

Why do we enforce that behavior ?

There are a number of things wrong withthis picture,

What say you ATS ??

m.lompocrecord.com... true

....on an interesting side note:

A few years ago the daughter of a local cop Killed a pedestrian while she was texting, can you guess her punishment ? Second degree murder ? ..... Manslaughter ? .......... No.

Probation.
edit on 22-2-2015 by IntastellaBurst because: its becoming laughable

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IntastellaBurst

Well police have quotas and they need to be filled so they make stuff up to get the job done....Here in aussie land there have been a few police blitzes in the major cities catching jay walkers....got to fine these lowlife criminals

...pretty damn sad

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Where I live, Chicago area, pedestrians have the right of way, period. For me the more troublesome demographic is bicyclists. They're technically treated like vehicles, but they're really not. Sometimes they obey the traffic signals and signs, but a lot of times they'll go through a red or a stop sign if they judge there is no danger. Unfortunately for them and car drivers, and actual pedestrians, accidents happen from this. I as a pedestrian have been nailed by a bicycle blowing through a stop sign. It hurts!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I witnessed this in Northvale, New Jersey almost two years ago. A person dressed in plain clothes would walk into the crosswalk and if the vehicle did not yield (as is the state law) a marked patrol car would emerge from the side street and ticket them.

I really see no major issue with this as the crosswalks are all clearly marked with the pylons and the wording, 'State law: Yield to pedestrians.'

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Two years ago my teenager got hit by a car. In the ER the police officer told me not to worry because there was no damage to the vehicle. My son wasn't in the crosswalk, if that man wasn't wearing a uniform he would have needed the ER.

True story.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Where I live we have courtesy crossings so it's not mandatory to stop but everyone does.. well everyone except the outof towners which are usually New Yorkers. No offense but I guess New York State doesn't have courtesy crossings.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Are they doing it in a cross walk or just in the road in general? If just crossing the road in general then I agree with the other member that said they're breaking the law to enforce the law, which is absurd.

Also the cyclists who do not follow traffic laws even though they ride in the street irritate me to no end.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IntastellaBurst

I recently heard about this where I live and read an article in the local paper.

Lets say you see someone crossing the street, he's still on the other side so you continue driving as you pose no danger to him, .... You then get pulled over and cited for not yielding to a pedestrian.

Technicaly you cant drive as long as they are ON the street.

Number one, the cops are breaking a law to enforce another law !

I dont know about where you live, but here kids just walk in the street without even looking and just Expect for everyone to stop.

Why do we enforce that behavior ?

There are a number of things wrong withthis picture,

What say you ATS ??

m.lompocrecord.com... true

....on an interesting side note:

A few years ago the daughter of a local cop Killed a pedestrian while she was texting, can you guess her punishment ? Second degree murder ? ..... Manslaughter ? .......... No.

Probation.

If I were ticketed, just for driving mind you, while someone was in the road and not in the crosswalk and no one was hit, nor injured, I'd fight it, AND see if I could find Superior Court case law to annoy them to help my case. Just to be a bug up their hiney. Yeah, I'm one of those fools. I can be the sweetest person on the planet, just don't tick me off because I'm also book smart AND street smart and I can rain it down upon you if you annoy me. I used to before in court when my MIL began stalking me to get a restraining order against her AND file criminal harassment charges against her, I'd have no issue with using it against a cop with a ticket attitude.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Never understood what Jaywalking is...

London we cross the road where and when we want.

Our roads aren't as wide though.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Which brings up the question....Why did the chicken cross the road?

- To prove to the armadillo it could be done.

(no offense meant against armadillos and I apologize ahead of time if I get flamed by armadillos)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Never understood what Jaywalking is...

London we cross the road where and when we want.

Our roads aren't as wide though.

In the US the law is, you HAVE to cross between two white lines known as a cross walk.

I don't know if you've seen some pictures, so just for reference.

Small towns, they'll look more like this.

Larger towns they might look more like these two.

Now most towns, especially the smaller ones, could care less about "jaywalking", which means, to cross the street where ever you are, outside of the white lines. But if they need to fill up their ticket quota, then they might ticket you for crossing outside of the lines, all in the name of "safety", of course.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Its not so much enforcing behavior as it is we know man wont change so make a law he will and i mean he will
break it but the at least we get money lol.
Plus of course you got to yeild to pedestrains and the only two people who knew in that story or three people who knew if there was a threat is the driver the cop and the pedestrain unless its on tape

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Thanks Anya...

Appreciate the learning curve!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Thanks Anya...

Appreciate the learning curve!

Anytime dear. I know some laws are different in different countries. I don't know how they are over in the Jolly 'Ole! I didn't want to seem like I was stepping on toes if you already knew, but at the same time, if you didn't know, I figured it might be helpful for you. I was hoping you wouldn't be insulted by it.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Generally when something like this happens it's to make an impact because there have been accidents/fatalities/public complaining. They aren't going to be turning a huge profit for these tickets.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Not at all, it's always good/fascinating/important to learn about other Cultures and Nations...

Builds an understanding.

Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I witnessed this in Northvale, New Jersey almost two years ago. A person dressed in plain clothes would walk into the crosswalk and if the vehicle did not yield (as is the state law) a marked patrol car would emerge from the side street and ticket them.

I really see no major issue with this as the crosswalks are all clearly marked with the pylons and the wording, 'State law: Yield to pedestrians.'

Thats just it,

They are not using crosswalks,

The streets here are ridiculousely wide, they could be four lanes, so why should someone stop if a pedestrian is still two lanes away ??

The point is, they are breaking one law, to enforce another.

Do you wonder what the future holds ?? Checkpoints, undercover stings, ...... On the general public ??

Personaly I think these cops should be cited for each time they crossedthe road illegaly, they should not be above the law.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

What law?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Dude, it have been like that in Cali for a long time. If a pedestrian in in the cross walk, you can't pass through it, period.

If not in a cross walk? Well the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if they are breaking the law. The way I always figured was that they see it is that, even if the person is being an idiot and endangering themselves, driving a car carries more responsibility. So they can get in trouble for breaking the law, but as a driver, you can get in more trouble.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

What law?

Jaywalking, a petty infraction but so is failing to yield.
edit on 22-2-2015 by IntastellaBurst because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join