It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finnish punk band with mental disabilities applies for Eurovision to raise awareness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Members of Finnish punk band Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät (PKN), all of whom have mental disabilities, have applied to take part in the Eurovision song contest, in order to raise awareness for Down syndrome.

I have no idea what these guys are saying. I don't speak Finnish. They sure do rock; though. I hope they win. Here is one of their videos:

PKN was formed in 2009 at a culture workshop arranged by Lyhty, a non-profit organization which helps adults with intellectual disabilities.

“The members of our band are four middle-aged, mentally handicapped men. The music is, of course, Finnish punk,” the bass guitarist said, as quoted by kovasikajuttu.fi. The subjects of the band's lyrics range from social problems to unpleasant pedicures.

In 2012, filmmakers Jukka Kärkkäinen and J-P Passi released a documentary about the band called “The Punk Syndrome.”

“[The band] probably won’t take over the world, but it will accomplish something a lot more important,” said Sami Tenkanen, program manager for Finland's Radio Rock.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That's so nice. It will only help to break down barriers.

I worked with people with learning disabilities for many years. I have very much a soft spot and always hope for greater social inclusion and acceptance.

Thanks for the smile OP!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

These guys are punk as f##k. Live forever punx!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I smiled when I saw it, too. One of my friends has Downes Syndrome and is on a drum at powwows. He's really good at it, too. I hope it shows people that people with Downes and other disabilities aren't stupid and can do anything everyone else can.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Yeah they are. I like your new avatar, by the way. Is that Donnie Darko?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I have been to punk nights with far worse sounding bands..These dudes are pretty good.
Lead singer looks like Sir Michael gambon at times.

Well done to them,I bet they do better than the UK Eurovision entry...don't know who that is,but they are bound to be #e as usual.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It is but OM down at avatar creations just made me a new one so I'll be switching again real soon.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Love this band!

Classic, stripped down and down and dirty punk!

Right on guys!

Can't stop the toes from tapping and that audience sure seems to be enjoying it as well!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

From the response I saw with the audience I think they'll stand a good chance at winning. I just hope that nobody tries to exploit or otherwise take advantage of them.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Good luck to then

Anyone remember this ?

Rock on Finland , shake up that Eurovision contest , break down the barriers.

edit on 31-1-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Love it! They have my support.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Great. Let anyone try.It certainly can't be as bad as some recent acts that have been in it. But the euro-vision contest is about the best song of Europe(or supposed to be) not a platform for disability protest. That being said if the song is good enough go ahead, but if the song is crap, disability or no disability NO.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I'd like to think there's a special level of hell for folks that would exploit beautiful talent.

That having been said, I hope they win and find a good and honest agent with a reputable label!

The world needs more pure expression and less cut and paste marketing madness.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I like that one. They remind me of Gwar.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

That's so true.
They have talent. I'd like to see them go somewhere with it and show others with disabilities that it can be done.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Great. Let anyone try.It certainly can't be as bad as some recent acts that have been in it. But the euro-vision contest is about the best song of Europe(or supposed to be) not a platform for disability protest. That being said if the song is good enough go ahead, but if the song is crap, disability or no disability NO.

Agree, I hope the contest is not ruined by people voting for them simply because they're disabled.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I thought most punk bands were mentally challenged... or was that country music... or humans, in general? I get confused.
edit on 1/31/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I'm not sure. It might just be politicians.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Agree, I hope the contest is not ruined by people voting for them simply because they're disabled.

Instead of voting for acts for political reasons as happens yearly ?

Eurovision has always been a bit of a joke maybe if Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät are chosen to represent Finland it would bring some credibility to the contest , for one year at least.

new topics

top topics

join