It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK TAP WATER! Gardena, CA. "Safe To Drink! -official"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
abc7.com...

I'm near Gardena, but not exactly sure how near.

At least it's not flammable?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
abc7.com...

What's in that? Having flashbacks to the X-Files...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

abc7.com...

If water officials are claiming it's "safe to drink" I say put them Live on the news, pour them a nice, big, giant glass and make them drink it with everyone watching. After all, it's safe right? And I'm not talking some peon either. I'm talking President of the company. Guarantee you very shortly that water will be clear! Sadly it will never happen though. You know why? Because at their house, their water IS clear, so it's "not their problem".

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So they flushed the lines and declared it safe, but admit they don't know why the water is stinky black with little stones in it. Huh? If they don't know what's wrong, how is flushing the lines a "it's all safe now" fix. You think they'd be looking for a break in the line somewhere. (black + stones = dirt???) Everyone should send in their bottled water receipts with their next bill, and deduct the receipt totals from the amount they owe. Maybe that would get their proper attention.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
For real - bet that will NEVER happen haha.

Also it's tap water not bottled (then again bottled water is tap water a lot of the time) but I would assume water on the shelves would be clear a reply to: Anyafaj

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327
For real - bet that will NEVER happen haha.

Also it's tap water not bottled (then again bottled water is tap water a lot of the time) but I would assume water on the shelves would be clear a reply to: Anyafaj

Also, a lot of the times, some of the bottled water comes right from YOUR municipal tap supply. In California where there's a drought, you really should be asking yourselves why. Watch the Documentary Tapped. It's no longer on Netflix right now, but who knows, it might be on Netflix DVD. Youtube might have it. VERY informative as to where your bottled water comes from and how municipalities are slowly losing their own water supplies. Really opens your eyes. Some cities have had to sue to get them out there. Pepsi, Coke, etc..., and let's not forget people dying of cancer near the plants making the bottles, the fish dying in the lakes from all the bottles toss in the rivers, lakes, streams, etc... Large stinking mess bottled water is. I made my daughter promise if she EVER buys a bottle of water, she reuses the bottle by refilling it with tap water as much as possible and recycle the bottle, so as to not destroy our planet.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If this keeps up, maybe the Doobie Brothers can get a gig down there

No matter how safe they say it is, I'd go straight to Dasani until that cleared up.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
C'mon, even "The Simpsons" introduced some basic logic when it comes to tap water.

"If it's brown drink it down. If it's black send it back".

Sad that jokes that were considered absurdly funny in the 90's are a reality today.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Even if the water actually is safe they can't reasonably expect people to make their baby food or coffee with that, if not for the freaky colour the bad smell ruins it anyway and who'd want smelly black lemonade? The water company owes everyone a proper explanation beyond just a mere statement that it won't (immediately) kill you as it still fails to deliver what it's supposed to anyway, namely clean, usable water. Right now it's only useful to flush the toilet with! And as I said, how can they reasonable expect people to just believe them on their word when it's about something vital like the water they put in and on their bodies. If they honestly admit the water's ruined they have a massive problem on their hands and they're protected right now by their monopoly position anyway. The competition exists of (expensive!) bottled water but one can't just switch water companies, at least if I'm correct. Showering using bottled water is a luxury only few can afford.

Another question that needs proper answering is the one as to how the discolouring originated. We're rightfully very suspicious and highly cautious about the water in countries like China as it forms a tragic but major health hazard. Most if not all of that is the work of poor or non-existent pollution precautions in industry. Can't the residents let an independent lab analyse the water and tell whether it actually is safely usable?

And even if it is safe to use and ingest... it's bad because it smells bad and looks off-putting. Instinctively few would drink black water and if there's a choice everyone prefers the clean-looking water. The company is not delivering what it's supposed to.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The news report says the water is clear now and safe to drink. I wonder if they tested the black water as well

Possible causes of black water here

Symptoms:
Rotten egg odor from both hot and cold water pipes. Copper and silver turn black in the water. Iron, steel or copper parts of pumps, pipes and fixtures corroded. Black stains on laundry and porcelain. Black particles in water.

Probable Causes:
Hydrogen sulfide, sulfate reducing bacteria or sulfur bacteria.

Suggested Treatments:
Compounds such as iron sulfide, calcium sulfide and sodium sulfide can interfere with hydrogen sulfide removal. Have water analyzed then select appropriate treatment such as chlorination or aeration followed by filtration through a sand filter.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
originally posted by: Zarniwoop

The news report says the water is clear now and safe to drink. I wonder if they tested the black water as well

Possible causes of black water here

Symptoms:
Rotten egg odor from both hot and cold water pipes. Copper and silver turn black in the water. Iron, steel or copper parts of pumps, pipes and fixtures corroded. Black stains on laundry and porcelain. Black particles in water.

Probable Causes:
Hydrogen sulfide, sulfate reducing bacteria or sulfur bacteria.

Suggested Treatments:
Compounds such as iron sulfide, calcium sulfide and sodium sulfide can interfere with hydrogen sulfide removal. Have water analyzed then select appropriate treatment such as chlorination or aeration followed by filtration through a sand filter.

I would think the water testing should be on the water company and not the consumers, but it seems, since the company gave the all clear, they have put all of this testing on the consumers. Personally I say contact legislators and everyone you can think of and do NOT pay your water bill until this is cleared up, pun intended! I wouldn't bathe in this let alone drink it! Ugh!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Sooo....if I drink this dirty nasty water and then die can I sue?!?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

As other posters have alluded to, the colour of the water indicates that certain particulates are present, and they could be present for a number of reasons. The water company have a responsibility to provide their customer base with water which is both safe to drink and CLEAN.

One cannot cook with this water, since doing so will ruin any broth or hot drinks made using it, one cannot drink it straight because of the taste and odour. Simply put, the company have failed the customers, and must a) seek out and identify the cause and source of the particulates, b) render a solution to the problem, (did you see what I did there?) and c) make a full public apology, and in some cases, such as the one mentioned in the article where one family has been dealing with poor quality service for years, offer financial considerations to those worst and longest effected.

Whatever the root cause of this black tinge is, it is the outright laziness and profit driven callous disregard for quality service, which has let this problem continue for so long, and reach this awful point. It is therefore, upon them to rectify the situation, and accept their responsibility to the consumer.

Furthermore, I would, were I a resident of the effected area, be of a mind to examine the water for myself, to take samples and shell out the cash to have them tested. I imagine that if the problem is wide enough spread, families suffering from the ineptitude of the water company would be able to band together to have the water tested, and at least put to rest any concerns over the potential toxicity of the contents thereof.
edit on 28-1-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical improvements.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

abc7.com...

I've seen black water in Kentucky, but that was up in the hills.

You did know there was a volcano under Los Angeles? Usually black water comes from sulphur and you can smell that a lot in Kentucky, but that is at the very edge of the coal fields. West Virginia has good water because there is more natural filtration.

I'd say yours is directly related to the volcano and it might be an indicator of an earthquake.
Volcanoes of California

Water Resources for California

Your water system is overwhelmed to the point your city filtration cannot keep it out. It is most likely a natural occurrence related to volcanoes and I would bet you should expect a significant earthquake soon, maybe in a few months.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
this needs to be a major news story just like fracking gas in water taps, either there is an unwanted "leak" involved or some other disaster afoot

this is not normal folks !

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie

this needs to be a major news story just like fracking gas in water taps, either there is an unwanted "leak" involved or some other disaster afoot

Before you put on your "IT'S HAPPENING" hat, please understand this would be a major issue if say it affected a whole state, or multiple cities.

This is likely due to due some simple infrastructure failure somewhere near the source, allowing natural contaminates like dirt and sulfates to leak into pipes.

Have you ever had well water? Like straight from the bucket? That crap ain't clear and it sometimes stinks to high heaven but it's potable and safe to drink. People are too used to "clear" water, when that wasn't even a common thing until the late 19th century.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I would definitly save some samples.

I would also fill a bucket up with it and then let it settle and collect the settlement also.

Just use some leak proof containers and record on video the collection and store it in a usps letter package then mail it to yourself.
edit on 28-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Could be just flushing of fire hydrants causing the intermittent nastiness.

Gardena's Water Company

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Before you put on your "IT'S HAPPENING" hat, please understand this would be a major issue if say it affected a whole state, or multiple cities.

This is likely due to due some simple infrastructure failure somewhere near the source, allowing natural contaminates like dirt and sulfates to leak into pipes.

Have you ever had well water? Like straight from the bucket? That crap ain't clear and it sometimes stinks to high heaven but it's potable and safe to drink. People are too used to "clear" water, when that wasn't even a common thing until the late 19th century.

Yes, I had to drink the nasty sulphur water in Kentucky.

But for whatever reason, the city filtration system is being overwhelmed and if it is sulphur, then identify the source of the sulphur. In Gardena, which is near Los Angeles, I am betting on the volcano. If the volcano is breaching water supplies and the filtration, then there will most likely be an earthquake.

But I grew up on that well water, very hard and made all our clothes rusty looking, but how many people still drink water from their lawn hoses?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Yes, I had to drink the nasty sulphur water in Kentucky.

But for whatever reason, the city filtration system is being overwhelmed and if it is sulphur, then identify the source of the sulphur. In Gardena, which is near Los Angeles, I am betting on the volcano. If the volcano is breaching water supplies and the filtration, then there will most likely be an earthquake.

But I grew up on that well water, very hard and made all our clothes rusty looking, but how many people still drink water from their lawn hoses?

Ahhh... I remember drinking from the Garden Hose in rural New Mexico where I grew up. After a hard few hours of playing outside that was like ambrosia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join