It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Text of President Obama's State of the Union Address, as prepared for delivery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

It was a great commercial, but this was the rebuttal to the SOTU Address..

What happened to our statesmen, seasoned experienced opposition taking that responsibility ?

Gossipy news, Ernst was allegedly sporting camouflaged pumps..

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I wasn't going to post anything about this address. I didn't watch it.....I have a hard time listening to what I perceive as a lack of sincerity.
So I thank SO for printing the text.

It's hard for me to say anything nice....all I see is the potential for more taxes for me and mine to pay for his pie in the sky ideas.....and I still cannot afford the faux insurance plan I had shoved down my throat....nor can i afford to see a doctor, or get a prescription filled.
I have yet to feel the full brunt of the Detroit Bankruptcy.....or the sellout of the Detroit Water System....things the federal government did not feel the need to get involved with....as corporations and banks are more important than people these days.

The energy regulations are hurting. That is a worry.....

I feel the economy is not doing as well as we are told. I see prices rising. And quality deteriorating.

I don't see jobs being created like we are being told......and part time jobs with no future will not return this country to greatness.

I don't know anyone who can save for retirement.....most I know live paycheck to paycheck. Homes in my area are still falling to foreclosures.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Initial thoughts...

Appeared that the POTUS declared war on Congress...

Only six years after Congress declared war on him - setting the record for the highest number of filibusters, blocked nominations, shutting down the government, brinkmanship over budgets, etc., in short, doing everything in their power (including sabotaging economic recovery) to defeat the POTUS at every turn.

Well they did say they was going to do everything they could to make sure he didn't get reelected. And when he did they just wanted to make sure he was on record for being the worst President. But they failed.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

We are fifteen years into this new century. Fifteen years that dawned with terror touching our shores; that unfolded with a new generation fighting two long and costly wars; that saw a vicious recession spread across our nation and the world. It has been, and still is, a hard time for many.

How the hell is that ?

We have had 6 years of 'hope and change' !!!!

We are over 40 years of radical ISLAMIC terrorism. Starting with the Iranian revolution that took American students hostage, and has spanned every administration since.

We are over 50 years since the War on Poverty began Americans longest, and most costliest war in our history.

The War on Poverty: 50 years of failure

That today the number of impoverished Americans has never been higher, or widespread than ever before in this nations history.

And it sure is hard for many. It has always been hard. No matter how much pie in the sky idealism, and empty words is ever going to change that fact.

Tonight's speech was a load of crap.

Just like the last 5 of them. The next one will be too.
edit on 20-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
We are still paying for a vey expensive and very controversial war.

An expense that was not included in that presidents expenses. BUT, is included in this presidents responsibility to fix.

Very odd and very unfair statistically IMO.

How would, say Romney have handked this? Well, he would have gotten cooperation from Congress.

The lack of cooperation is insane.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

We are over 40 years of radical ISLAMIC terrorism. Starting with the the Iranian revolution that took American students hostage, and has spanned every administration since.

Why did they take over that Embassy Neo? It wouldn't have anything to do with America organizing a overthrow of their government and installing a dictator that served corporate America would it?

We are over 50 years since the War on Poverty began Americans longest, and most costliest war in our history.

That's because it started out as a war on poverty but turned into a war on the poor.

That today the number of impoverished Americans has never been higher, or widespread that ever before in this nations history.

That's because the evil rich said screw America and screw the American worker. Our greed is more important than this nation so we'll move the jobs overseas and make even more profit because the record profit we were making before moving just wasn't enough.

Tonight's speech was a load of crap.

You do seem to have a problem with accepting reality.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Left Right and the majority in between, should all be shaking their collective head...

One day, all the folks will realize...

We are / have been / and will continue to be played until

We set aside debates on lesser import, and get folks elected, who will do our work, not theirs?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Answer: demographics for 2016

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Why did they take over that Embassy Neo? It wouldn't have anything to do with America organizing a overthrow of their government and installing a dictator that served corporate America would it?

That had everything to do with the UK, and it's operation boot so BP could buy the Anglo-Persian Oil Company.

But then again WHAT THE HELL DID STUDENTS DO ?

That's because it started out as a war on poverty but turned into a war on the poor.

Too funny.

That's because the evil rich said screw America and screw the American worker. Our greed is more important than this nation so we'll move the jobs overseas and make even more profit because the record profit we were making before moving just wasn't enough.

You mean the poors greed right ?

Rob from the evil rich so the poor can go out, and buy more stuff.

You do seem to have a problem with accepting reality.

That would be the Potus having a problem with accepting reality.

As his policies have been EPIC failures.
edit on 20-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
a reply to: Annee

Left Right and the majority in between, should all be shaking their collective head...

One day, all the folks will realize...

We are / have been / and will continue to be played until

We set aside debates on lesser import, and get folks elected, who will do our work, not theirs?

Yes, absolutely they should.

What's happened during this presidency is an insult to America. Not to Obama, but to everyone who's done everything they can to make this administration fail. How is that in anyway pro-America?

WTH

Anyway, I'm just looking for some honest factual objectivism in this discussion.

edit on 20-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I have a hard time reconciling this:

early in the address:

Tonight, for the first time since 9/11, our combat mission in Afghanistan is over. Six years ago, nearly 180,000 American troops served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Today, fewer than 15,000 remain. And we salute the courage and sacrifice of every man and woman in this 9/11 Generation who has served to keep us safe. We are humbled and grateful for your service.

America, for all that we’ve endured; for all the grit and hard work required to come back; for all the tasks that lie ahead, know this:

The shadow of crisis has passed, and the State of the Union is strong.

Followed later by this:

First, we stand united with people around the world who’ve been targeted by terrorists — from a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris. We will continue to hunt down terrorists and dismantle their networks, and we reserve the right to act unilaterally, as we’ve done relentlessly since I took office to take out terrorists who pose a direct threat to us and our allies.

At the same time, we’ve learned some costly lessons over the last thirteen years.

Instead of Americans patrolling the valleys of Afghanistan, we’ve trained their security forces, who’ve now taken the lead, and we’ve honored our troops’ sacrifice by supporting that country’s first democratic transition. Instead of sending large ground forces overseas, we’re partnering with nations from South Asia to North Africa to deny safe haven to terrorists who threaten America. In Iraq and Syria, American leadership — including our military power — is stopping ISIL’s advance. Instead of getting dragged into another ground war in the Middle East, we are leading a broad coalition, including Arab nations, to degrade and ultimately destroy this terrorist group. We’re also supporting a moderate opposition in Syria that can help us in this effort, and assisting people everywhere who stand up to the bankrupt ideology of violent extremism. This effort will take time. It will require focus. But we will succeed.

then end the above quote with:

This effort will take time. It will require focus. But we will succeed. And tonight, I call on this Congress to show the world that we are united in this mission by passing a resolution to authorize the use of force against ISIL.

I don't give a rat's hind end that he doesn't mention Islam in his mentioning of the extremists that are currently the boogeyman of the world, I do know that a few leaders of Middle Eastern nations have expressed their disgust with what is going on, and there is an opportunity, in Syria/Iraq to eliminate these extremists with ME nations participating in their removal.

It's an opportunity, and one that should be openly organized.. talk about a coalition...

End this BS.. then get back to diplomacy...

Will they? I have my doubts... much ground has been gained by keeping folks in the west and east in fear of whatever may happen due to this instability of the region, ah remember the Arab spring?...

So I went on a tangent

I just can't comprehend how the POTUS can start his speech so strongly, then basically demand the COngress grant him use of force in Syria?

never was good at the shell game P

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

21st century businesses will rely on American science, technology, research and development. I want the country that eliminated polio and mapped the human genome to lead a new era of medicine — one that delivers the right treatment at the right time. In some patients with cystic fibrosis, this approach has reversed a disease once thought unstoppable. Tonight, I’m launching a new Precision Medicine Initiative to bring us closer to curing diseases like cancer and diabetes — and to give all of us access to the personalized information we need to keep ourselves and our families healthier.

What he said about curing diabetes and cancer. If they have it cured by the time his term is up, the Democrats will have the White House from 2016-2020. I have huge doubts about it. I know he has said a lot of things even in 2008 that haven't happened yet. I paid attention to the whole speech, but this paragraph will stick with me over the next few years. You don't make big promises like that without something to back them up.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Another concern about tonight's address was this minimal paragraph on cyber security:

No foreign nation, no hacker, should be able to shut down our networks, steal our trade secrets, or invade the privacy of American families, especially our kids. We are making sure our government integrates intelligence to combat cyber threats, just as we have done to combat terrorism. And tonight, I urge this Congress to finally pass the legislation we need to better meet the evolving threat of cyber-attacks, combat identity theft, and protect our children’s information. If we don’t act, we’ll leave our nation and our economy vulnerable. If we do, we can continue to protect the technologies that have unleashed untold opportunities for people around the globe.

IMO, We need to pay attention to "passing the legislation we (govt) need"....

notice how his writers used these terms: " cyber-attacks, combat identity theft, and protect our children’s information. " as if to imply that the legislation is for our own good?

Ponder that, while I go back to gnashing teeth

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
"blah, blah, blah"
...and then four more posts of it.

Does it even matter what he says at this point?
Assuming this country still functions in five years and this internet is still available to common folk, I say that's when we can reflect on what he had to say tonight.

Something about cutting my taxes? Yeah, right.

Something about making college affordable? That should help- there are college grads working fast food jobs. Lets make it easier for kids to stay out of the work force longer while not learning anything of use. Make sure they're older and more obedient before they find themselves begging the government for their next meal.

Something about being free from the grip of foreign oil? I don't know a damn thing about our oil situation, other than gas is down by half as of late- My guess is that's a trap. Would love to see myself proved wrong in three to five years.

Something about fast trains and fast internet? I'm paying about $70 a month (840 a year, more than he claims we'll save at the "pump" this year) for a 50x5 connection- the fastest residential connection available in my state. Recently merged with Comcast, who is going to put in a cap on the amount of data I'm allowed to download on that connection.
Some "First world" countries had 100x100 connections a decade ago. I understand why its harder to pull off here- but don't # in my hand and tell me its cookie dough.

Something about combining military power with strong diplomacy? Everybody hates us because of our big swinging dick attitude.

Something about the right to vote being sacred? I laugh at your voting system, designed before your average person could count. Every time more than 50% of the people stand up and ask for something and are blatantly ignored, we've made a joke of ourselves.

Only thing I didn't read him talking about was the rampant corruption in all levels of government.

What a sad state of affairs.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The GOP rebuttal made me chuckle. The sale of who is more gosh darn murican,

Reading the transcript tmrw. Thanks SO for posting it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
Another concern about tonight's address was this minimal paragraph on cyber security:

No foreign nation, no hacker, should be able to shut down our networks, steal our trade secrets, or invade the privacy of American families, especially our kids. We are making sure our government integrates intelligence to combat cyber threats, just as we have done to combat terrorism. And tonight, I urge this Congress to finally pass the legislation we need to better meet the evolving threat of cyber-attacks, combat identity theft, and protect our children’s information. If we don’t act, we’ll leave our nation and our economy vulnerable. If we do, we can continue to protect the technologies that have unleashed untold opportunities for people around the globe.

IMO, We need to pay attention to "passing the legislation we (govt) need"....

notice how his writers used these terms: " cyber-attacks, combat identity theft, and protect our children’s information. " as if to imply that the legislation is for our own good?

Ponder that, while I go back to gnashing teeth

That just means the only people allowed to hack, and spy on Americans is our own government.

People would be wise not to follow the false 'prophet'.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
humanity would be so much better off in a world where science provided abundance while not being impeded by currency

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
"The entire money structured society is false society"-Jacque Fresco

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cyruay

"The entire money structured society is false society"-Jacque Fresco

It's not the "money" that screws it up.

It's the debt system.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I say neither screws it up.

But the politicians are the culprits.

After all they created fiat currency.

To use to divide, and conquer the masses.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join