It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So like, I was at the bar and like I heard this girl talking like, Like, LIke, LIKe, LIKE!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Let me rephrase the title: "So, I was at the bar and I heard this girl talking". Notice how that worthless f&#@& sh!/ word is missing?

Mind you, I rarely eavesdrop on conversations. However, this time was different and not by choice. Even when I tried to ignore this pretty womans rambling, her repetitive lack and inability to subistute other words for 'like' turned my nice meal and drink into a torture session for my ears.

I'm not a grammar nazi by any means. I'll readily admit that my vocabulary is relatively small. Also, I understand that communication can be very abstract when vocalizing ideas and concepts. But continually using a word such as 'like' is the equivalent of hitting the person you are talking to with a hammer on the head every 5 or ten seconds.

Such as, for example, an instance, the equivalent, it's similar, etc, etc. There are many other choices that a person can use. Hell, use cuss words! I'd much rather listen to a colorful array of semi offensive language than having the 'like' jackhammer being rammed in my ear every g*d@m fifth second.

If I ever have the chance to be a dictator.......offenders will sit in a padded white room with an intercom that repeats that f^@&n word in every octave and tone for a week straight.

edit on 19-1-2015 by ghostrager because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

I always want to shout, "What do you like?"

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
Let me rephrase the title: "So, I was at the bar and I heard this girl talking". Notice how that worthless f&#@& sh!/ word is missing?

Mind you, I rarely eavesdrop on conversations. However, this time was different and not by choice. Even when I tried to ignore this pretty womans rambling, her repetitive lack and inability to subistute other words for 'like' turned my nice meal and drink into a torture session for my ears.

I'm not a grammar nazi by any means. I'll readily admit that my vocabulary is relatively small. Also, I understand that communication can be very abstract when vocalizing ideas and concepts. But continually using a word such as 'like' is the equivalent of hitting the person you are talking to with a hammer on the head every 5 or ten seconds.

Such as, for example, an instance, the equivalent, it's similar, etc, etc. There are many other choices that a person can use. Hell, use cuss words! I'd much rather listen to a colorful array of semi offensive language than having the 'like' jackhammer being rammed in my ear every g*d@m fifth second.

If I ever have the chance to be a dictator.......offenders will sit in a padded white room with an intercom that repeats that f^@&n word in every octave and tone for a week straight.

Like omg that is so cra cra, like omg! Lol my daughter talks like that a little. Im screwed.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I like this rant!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I do it when I get excited. It's a horrible, tragic habit. I'm relatively well spoken otherwise, though my grammar isn't spectacular.

All of us "like-rs" aren't that bad.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
My ex did that frequently. She would be so angry with me because I lost interest in her stories very quickly. Every other word was "like". This isn't 90210. This isn't high school anymore. To intelligent people that type of conversation is a quick turn off and forces me to divert my attention to my shoes. Dirt floors are more interesting.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I know of a person in their 50's ish, professional job, that says ''you know like'' followed by ''you know like'' then again, sometimes 4 times in a row, and sometimes does that many times in a conversation. It appears that perhaps for them it could be a nerve thing.

I do say ''like'' sometimes but normally only when describing something. Some teenagers do tend to say it too much though, but I guess it's a cultural thing and there are worse language offenses, like certain ''street'' / ''ghetto'' type 'lingo'.
edit on 19-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My daughter started this habit when she was younger. She would get so mad because I would stop her every time she started doing that and would make her start over....

So I KNOW that wasn't my daughter you were hearing.
That's someone else's like problem. I made sure my progeny wasn't going to contribute to this epidemic.

I can not even stand and finish a conversation when people do that. I can handle one or two likes thrown in... After that, I'm out. Folks learn to shorten it up a bit after a while.
edit on 1/19/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
100% agree.

Can't stand it and DON'T 'like' it.

Makes me want to stuff pretzels in my ears.

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Valley girl!!! Anyone remember that movie?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I tend to believe it's a substitute for silence when a person is contemplating how to vocalize their thoughts. Similar to when someone uses "ummm".

And overall, I really don't mind the substitutes in moderation. It can take a lot of conscious effort to break such a habit. Though, sometimes people need a swift kick to break them of their ignorance or at least bring it to light.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I agree. I'm aware that I picked it up somewhere ten years ago and try my best not to do it.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Like totally!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Lol, my daughter used to talk like that while she attended high school. I would always complain about her using the word "like" in every sentence. She always had the gift to gab. She graduated from college and went into sales, lol!!! She never uses the word like anymore and now has a great job as a pharmaceutical sales rep. Her boss says he's never met anyone who is so aggressive in sales and communicates so well. She impresses me every-time she talks business. Who would have thought?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
People are a product of their environment. A few Speech classes and she'll develop something more palatable to others' ears.

President Obama I've heard many times in his addresses saying 'ummm' , not proper speech for a world leader imo.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I know a guy that like says "ummmm" like every other word. It like drives me ummmm nuts.
Gag me with a spoon.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Haven't you learned to ignore people who talk like that. We have filters in our brains to filter that nonsense out. Alcohol will make it so you don't hear that, lots of alcohol. Just don't get too drunk and wind up picking her up because the alcohol wears off eventually and that could be pretty annoying to hear when you are hungover the next morning.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I know but like whats the problem like? Good on her for standing on her on two feet, like! If you dont like it, EFF off, like!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The phenomena is with females. Very unattractive, thanks goodness Im not Lesbian.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Related:

"High Rising Terminal"

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 19-1-2015 by monkeyluv because: added title

top topics

<<   2 >>

join