It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

31 rolls of film from ww2 discovered and developed

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is a cool story. Can't have to many photos of the past.

petapixel.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

I like how most of the photos of army guys shows them just sitting around bored, waiting to go somewhere. I imagine that is what it was really like most of the time. Just sittin' around, waitin'.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

petapixel.com...

Nice find, thanks for posting this.

I cant get enough of ww2 history. I have watched and read everything I can find.

I try to imagine the horrors, and the triumphs of the grunts on all sides. The heart wrenching stories of similarities between the common solders from all armies.

How the puppet masters were able to breed the hate required to slaughter 60-80 million people.

I fear history may repeat itself.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I'm the same way. I can read all day long on ww2 and korea, but have less interest in most other wars.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

That is really cool! Thanks!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

I like how most of the photos of army guys shows them just sitting around bored, waiting to go somewhere. I imagine that is what it was really like most of the time. Just sittin' around, waitin'.

Lol... these guys were fighting the largest and probably the bloodiest war the world has ever seen... somehow I doubt it was like that for those men..

its probably more to do with it being a good opportunity to take pictures with 1940's technology, and it being the most common type of picture that would be taken during a war. Not many people would be trying to take pictures during combat. . Although there probably a few floating about..

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Nice to see a glimpse into the past

anyone notice the light photographed in the 12th picture ?

don't think it can be the sun as all of the shadows are pointing towards it

thoughts ?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The scary thing is is that it wasnt really that long ago that all this happened.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: flashbackjack

Its an alien.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: flashbackjack

This photo looks like where I grew up in Scotland in the 70's. The photos from then and before have a sort of tranquility about them, calming almost.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So true,
My dad is a Korean War vet.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have a couple photos I inherited from my father. He was in the U.S. Navy during WWII, and involved in the D-Day invasion. After the invasion, he was transferred to LeHavre France....former German SS HQ. They are of Adolf Hitler in a parade (he found them there after the SS bugged out during the invasion_. There are pictures nobody but our family has ever seen. We've had then since that time. The subject is not of my favorite person (to say the least) but it IS a piece of history.

If anyone is interested, I'll check with the mods to see if I can post a scan of it here.

edit on 1/19/2015 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The website video is excellent.
The thrill of developing 70-80 year old film, and seeing it for the first time.
Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Nail on the head, but the action they see takes several life times of wear and tear on their bodies and minds. They learn to appreciate that down time.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

There is something strange about the second to last image. Is that the moon behind the church in the background, because it certainly isn't the sun. As you can see from the shadows of the trees and the chimney on the house on the left, the sun is behind and to the left of the photographer. I have never seen the moon so bright during daylight. ???

soulwaxer

ETA: Just noticed that another member above noticed this too. I am a professional photographer, and that 'light' is definitely not normal. The only thing that would make sense to me would be light leakage into the film before or during processing, like someone poked a needle through the roll of film.

edit on 20-1-2015 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

It is possible that it was the moon. Here are some similar examples, the shadows are also facing the same direction and the height of the moon similar.
edit on 20-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Instead of possibly hijacking this thread, I created a new thread for discussion of my "Lost Photos". Thanks OP for making me think of this by posting this interesting thread.

S&F to you...

top topics

join