It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Senate Dems: ‘I’m going to play offense’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The president said he’s prepared to veto hostile legislation, including an Iran sanctions package.

President Barack Obama made clear Thursday in a closed-door session with Senate Democrats that he’s prepared to veto hostile legislation from the GOP-controlled Congress, including an Iran sanctions package on the front burner of Capitol Hill

Source

According to several sources at the Thursday summit in Baltimore, Obama vowed to defend his agenda against Republicans in Congress, promised to stand firm against GOP efforts to dismantle his agenda and called on his Democratic colleagues to help sustain his expected vetoes. The president also was explicit about his opposition to an Iran sanctions bill, promising to veto legislation as his administration is in the midst of multilateral nuclear negotiations with the Middle Eastern regime.

So much for 'democracy' eh ?

When he, and his party held the trifecta of government control. It was all Rah! Rah! Sis BOOM BAH GO Democracy!!!!!

Lost the House. Lost the Senate, and apparently he still doesn't get why.

Basically making the Potus. The president of NO.

To wit:

Obama vowed to defend his agenda against Republicans in Congress, promised to stand firm against GOP efforts to dismantle his agenda........

His agenda is EXACTLY why he lost both houses.

I guess Obama needs to stop being a Republicanphobe eh?

I report.

You decide.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
As if Papa-Doc Barack hasn't been playing offense since 2008? Come on does it really matter which political party is in power? If these last couple of years have taught us anything is that, we are in control of very little. The U.S. government is, for the most part, under the control of the bankers, multi-nationals, secret societies, CIA, dark money, and every type of shady, undercover, well funded, nefarious governing body out there.

Currently the "power elite" are trying to temporarily change the tenor of the U.S. for the upcoming election in 2016. They are toning down the gangstalking, the harassment, the aggression, the overt control of the U.S. government. All of this so that they can build some kind of public support for some presidential candidate. I'm asking myself, does it really matter who we elect? Anyone we elect to office in a short couple of months will return to the same bullcrap we've seen in the last couple of years.

So, don't be fooled, this is a temporary respite until the new president assumes power, then it will start all over again. As long as the power elite are left intact, we will never be free.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I love Gridlock...

It's the only time we are not getting screwed.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Offense, eh?

This could be entertaining...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Where was your so much for Democracy when the Republicans were doing everything they could to try and insure that Obama wouldn't get elected a second time? Now they are going to get a taste of their own medicine.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Too funny.

Like Harry Reid sitting on 300 House bills wasn't offensive.

Changing the Senate rules wasn't offensive.

Whatever.

Sounds like more republicanphobia.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

...Obama vowed to defend his agenda...

...promised to stand firm against GOP efforts to dismantle his agenda...

...called on his Democratic colleagues to help sustain his expected vetoes...

Can we just get a president that is more concerned about listening to the voice of the people than listening to the voices in and around his head?

For better or for worse, in the past 4 years the America public has voted out the Democrat-controlled house/senate and voted in a Republican control over both houses. He still turns a deaf ear to that. He's a terrible example of what a president should be, and I'd be saying that if this were currently a Republican president as well.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

This is something I’ve struggled with throughout my presidency," said Obama. "The problem is that I’m the president of the United States, I’m not the emperor of the United States. My job is to execute laws that are passed."

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Can we just get a president that is more concerned about listening to the voice of the people than listening to the voices in and around his head?

Hell would freeze over.

I wish we had one like that.

That remembers he is a representative of ALL of us.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Umm, the power of presidential veto is in the US Constitution. It even discusses what is needed to overcome a presidential veto. Seems that democracy is still intact.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace

Umm, the power of presidential veto is in the US Constitution. It even discusses what is needed to overcome a presidential veto. Seems that democracy is still intact.

Is that right ?

And:

What is a veto ?

Executive 'privilege'.

That dog don't hunt.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well, win the Presidency. Then the republicans can have it all.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Actually

Article II of the Constitution establishes the Executive Branch. Section 3 lists some of the President’s duties. One of these responsibilities is to make sure the laws are carried out: “He shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed.”

citizenbee.org...

He cannot block laws of his own volition to protect his agenda.

His job description says otherwise.
edit on 16-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

...and ATS can do a 180 (again) and become all Bush bashing all the time...
Here's a better idea, BOTH parties cut the lip service and whiny horsecrap about compromise, realize that it is a two way street, and actually do their freaking jobs for a change. This president loves to bitch about lack of compromises from his opponents... that's hilarious coming from a man who clearly believes compromise simply involves informing the world what he wants to see happen and then standing around with one thumb up his ass and the other in his mouth waiting for the other side to meet him where he's standing. On the other hand, the GOP has done a wonderful job of holding their principals... until the last possible hour at which time Boehner buckles and takes a giant crap all over his previously promised position.

I honestly don't know what Obama's gripe is anymore. He's got private puppets in Boehner and McConnell, and public puppets in Reid and Pelosi.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I really can't argue with any of that.

Except, that voters need to do their jobs too.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Politics is just like football
you have the cheerleaders on the left side of the field
you have the cheerleaders on the right side of the field

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Where was your so much for Democracy when the Republicans were doing everything they could to try and insure that Obama wouldn't get elected a second time? Now they are going to get a taste of their own medicine.

Yes, because all of us were fortunate enough to be alive to witness the first time in history that one party made an effort to keep the other party from being elected or reelected!

Please. Don't act like that's rare, or that one party does it any more or less than the other.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Duh. What's the Republicans supposed to do? TRY to get Obama elected?

What perhaps you may not get is this is the game plan of the Republican Establishment. Pass bills they know Obama will veto. Force him to veto. Then, building to the 2016 Presidentials, point to Obama-and the Democrats- as blocking 'progress'.

All the Republicans have to do is find someone to run that hasn't been already wiped out by the media by positioning them as an 'extremist' for assuming a position that was the norm 25 years ago....

Hillary for Pres. anyone?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I think the precedent for overriding our laws and constitution was already set with the Patriot Act. Now we live with the consequences. This is not a democracy, remember?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I think the precedent for overriding our laws and constitution was already set with the Patriot Act. Now we live with the consequences. This is not a democracy, remember?

And you would be wrong.

Before the Patriot there was Carters FISA Act, and then CLinton's Omnibus Counter Terrorism Act of the 90s.

But neither of those can even compare of over 70 years of Gun control that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join