It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the worst firearm you have ever used / owned?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Btw, M60's recoil is not even that bad, since it's such a heavy beast.

Here is a girl in bikini shooting one from the hip.

And another one,

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
M60 in basic training at Fort Dix NJ in Jan/Feb/Mar of 1982.
I was in ECHO company ... an all female basic training company.
I also tossed a few grenades and got some frostbite while doing so.
And I shot a LAW at a tank a few times on the practice range.

I was good with the grenades ... earned a sharpshooter badge.
M60 ... sucky ... it was too big for me.
I was only 105 pounds and it tossed me around the foxhole on the range.
M16? Average shot. I didn't like it. I like my Glock 9 mil.

originally posted by: FunkyContents
An answer would be nice.

An apology would be nice.
edit on 1/27/2015 by FlyersFan because: had to check my dd214 for the date

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
the first firearm I ever held or used was a M-14 rifle, as a Private in the US Army

in basic training, I was one of 3 recruits (company A-7-2) who hit the required # of targets to qualify as Expert

later while at Graffenwhoer Germany back when Super Bowl One happened
I was both a war-games referee & scorer, but I was required to target practice the .45 sidearm, the M-19 grenade launcher and fire a fully automatic M-14... familiarity was the desired thing but I managed holes in all the targets with that .45 and managed (on the 2nd grenade) to hit the 55 gallon drum dead on top center on firing the grenade launcher....I swear the fully auto rifle almost got away from me (it tends to push the muzzle skyward the longer you hold the trigger)

~perhaps I should-a applied for sniper training huh ?~

I will not inform you the public of what I do or done since then...
OH... I thought you asked FIRST not Worst weapon....
(I don't consider protection firearms as weapons ...which implies hostile activity- useage)
edit on th31142239077427322015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FunkyContents

Well she replied back to your question.

Flyer what was your score with the m-60 by the way? Was it average?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Flyer what was your score with the m-60 by the way? Was it average?

That was over 30 years ago. I don't remember. I shot the M-60 in the day from fox holes we had to dig ourselves with our folding entrenching tools (talk about a chore - frozen ground in NJ in February!). The weapon jumped all over the place. I couldn't keep it steady. The drill sergeant was in the fox hole with us and he had to put both his hands up against the shoulder I had the M-60 up to and he put all his weight against it. I would guess I hit the target about 1/2 the time. But that's a guess.

We also fired at night with tracer rounds. I think that was a different range (can't remember). Not from fox holes. I remember something like every fifth bullet out had a tracer on it. That was really cool to watch. I have no idea if I hit anything in the night fire practice. It was totally dark and the drill sergeant kept saying to fire down range because 'charlie is there' ( the guy was Vietnam era) ... I'm thinking there were logs or something down there that we were hitting. I just don't know.

(post by FunkyContents removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
*****ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS*****

We would like to remind you that we expect civility and decorum in all forums, topics, and discussions. Continuing to post in a manner not in accordance with the T&C's can and will result in post removals and/or posting bans. Please continue your discussions with an eye on the topic and not your fellow members. Please also remember to stay on topic and cease any and all attempts to derail the thread/discussion before you.

Thank you.

You Are Responsible For Your Own posts.

We Expect Civility & Decorum In All Topics.

*** Do Not Reply To This Post ***

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo3Foxtrot
E3F,
The thing most frustrating about the 249 is it was the worst gun of the competitors in the competition that lead to it's adoption.
We could have had either of 2 guns that would've served us immeasurably better.
1. HK21/23: AKA the best gun HK ever made, unfortunately for them they haven't built anything truly decent since! If we had gone this route we wouldn't be seeing idiotic and criminally expensive mk46/48 guns or the even more ludicrous m240L! Not only that but our infantry could literally have a precision DMR 5.56 lmg 7.62 lmg 5.56/7.62 IAR and a LRRP/ Special purpose 7.62/5.45x39 belt /magazine fed all in ONE GUN!! Can you imagine how much money we would save both by the MASSIVE buy of a single platform allowing economy of scale pricing to kick in! Also when we deploy to places we could tailor the ratio of 5.56 to 7.62 guns in our units by switching out a shockingly small number of parts! And perhaps even more advantageous is in wanat like situations a few spare belt feed mechanisms would've allowed us to switch several standard guns to belt fed configuration to replace the guns knocked out early in the fight! Finally it doesn't take a genius to see several SAFE and INEXPENSIVE ways to pretty significantly lighten the gun without chopping barrels stupid short or making titanium receivers.

Xm234/248:
This gun was in my opinion the real star... Light, compact, extremely high reliability potential, chock full of innovation, and probably the cheapest gun to acquire in quantity if the right manufacturers were used. While it didn't have some of the features available in hk21/23 they would all be pretty simple to retrofit in if desired. Also this gun was LIGHT! Had it got procured and were it in service today it would be even lighter by quite a bit today! It would pretty easily be engineered to have a super simple caliber change superb barrel change kinematics and ergonomics like HK, a magazine feed switch adapter would also be downright SIMPLE to build and dead nuts reliable like HK's (also it would likely be selectable side feed adapter allowing the DMR/IAR version to achieve super low prone positions etc) and a host of other benefits like very easy adaptation to solenoid fire, ease of mounting for coax pintle RWS helicopter gun pylons etc (plus it's design means you could very easily design custom shells to enclose the mechanism in meaning you could have heavily armored casings for RWS systems corrosion resistant ones for naval vessels and ones with integrated fire control and other accessories) also the early ammo box system would be a huge boon to RWS mount versions allowing simple and cheap automatic box change setup with several boxes on tap before you have to get out of vehicle to reload! Oh and unlike current guns where it can be a depot level task or plain not possible to switch between configurations this wouldn't even require a tool set! This again means all 5 branches can get guns off the same production lines and even combined buys for rock bottom pricing and the ability to quickly get more guns to a hot spot because you can pull them from any branches closest stores!

Beyond all of that, I believe a large caliber version of this design could easily be developed as well. Making for lighter, cheaper, much more versatile systems than the current large caliber choices...

But instead... Fn hurts alot when you get the bill got the contract.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Remington Model 710. It was an entry-level hunting rifle. When I bought mine, I was entry-level. I bought it in 7mm Remington Magnum, which is an inherently uncomfortable round to shoot in the first place, but the rifle itself was absolute scrap (along with the cheap scope that came with it). Couldn't imagine a better combo to turn somebody off to shooting/hunting in general.

Now best???? I've got a few I'm really enjoying.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: lynxpilot
Couldn't imagine a better combo to turn somebody off to shooting/hunting in general.

I had a 7 mag we called the "Widow Maker", we used to have contests to see how many times you could shoot it before you tapped out. My next older brother Dan held the record for six consecutive shots. That thing would leave bruises on you that soap wouldn't wash off.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

The A1 was a bag of crap. The A2 is a different story. Three rounds out of five making one large hole at 200m isn't a bad rifle if you ask me. And given the nature of today's typical fighting environment I'd rather be clearing rooms with it than an SLR. It's heavy for a compact weapon though and a right pain to clean.

I hated the minimi. Never used to agree with them.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Sears and Roebuck breech loading 30-30. That POS kicked like a mule on PED's. ...and horrible inaccurate, though that may have been because of the anticipatory flinching on the part of yours truly.

Years later, and it still hurts...

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Remington Zytel 66. All nylon semi-auto .22LR, clip loaded. Friggin' thing would jam every 4 or 5 rounds regardless of the ammo used. I gave it away to an Alaskan fisherman on Kodiak Is. after all of 1973 on the isolated duty LORAN station out on Sitkinak Is. Looked cool, didn't perform cool.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FunkyContents

3 round bursts or you're shooting ADA with the olderones the new A4s are AMAZING with their endurace, barrel wise.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TopCat1

About 5 min ago I learned Hi-Point came chambered in .45acp. That is scary to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
a reply to: WatchRider

The A1 was a bag of crap. The A2 is a different story. Three rounds out of five making one large hole at 200m isn't a bad rifle if you ask me. And given the nature of today's typical fighting environment I'd rather be clearing rooms with it than an SLR. It's heavy for a compact weapon though and a right pain to clean.

I hated the minimi. Never used to agree with them.

Echo the minimi, don't quite echo the A2. It's ok for FIBUA but the fighting of the future won't be in urban areas that much imho.

SLR is in 7.62mm. Folding stock, shortened barrel, good to go! Just ask the Aussies Vets from 'Nam and they'll not knock the SLR at all. There's was in full auto, good for counter-ambushing. Rounds would rip through trees to nail charlie hiding behind it. A weapon feared by the enemy unlike the M-16 (usually).

They ought to have made the SA 80 platform in an intermediate round like the .280 (as the early trials were leaning towards). Instead they went with the mainstream trend and down-graded.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlastedCaddy
a reply to: TopCat1

About 5 min ago I learned Hi-Point came chambered in .45acp. That is scary to me.

Last of the Saturday Night Specials!

HiPoints are ok, just a little quirky is all. For the price it's within the range for poor folks to own a semi-auto brand new. The lifetime warranty is nice too

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My current paperweight is a Sig Hammerli Trailside 22 semi auto pistol. Sig Sauer does not sell them any more, and I don't know whether Swedish Hammerli still manufactures what was a very accurate pistol. But after every 900 rounds, the lips on the plastic magazines would wear out --- then the safety broke [not the outside safety lever but some safety part inside the pistol itself] --- with no chance for me to get a replacement. The gunsmith tried to glue the safety back together...but it broke again after 20 rounds.
edit on 31-1-2015 by Erno86 because: added a few words

edit on 31-1-2015 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
A Makarov .380 was the worst. It as so inaccurate, I assume it was made to be put against the back of the head for executions.

Which wasn't all bad, it occurred to me that many firearms could be used very quickly with that protocol. Don't aim, just put it against the target as fast as you can move.

From a quick draw video game I learned that could happen in less than .05 seconds.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join