It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugs - Prison or Treatment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

I'm not against it for the ones who want it, but I've known enough people involved in trying to help addicts to have heard some heart-breaking stories. It's not easy, even for the ones who want treatment. Then for the ones who don't?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
First time you get caught you get to go to treatment free (at tax payers expense)
Second time you get caught you pay half of the treatment cost.if you can`t afford to pay half you go to jail.
Everytime after the second time that you get caught you pay for all your treatment, if you can`t afford it you go to jail.

The purpose should be to protect society so whether people are in jail or treatment they are off the streets and no longer a potential threat to society.

1) justice would not be equal, the rich would avoid jail the poor would end up behind bars! You have a two tier system!

2) providing a drug addict does not commit any other crimes what threat are they to socity? What is it to you if they shack up and live in some drug dean shooting up as long as they dont commit any crimes like theft or murder?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So long as they aren't hooked into the social safety net. OK!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Agree.

If they choose to not work/become unemployble then they should not be the taxpayers dime either.

There choice.

If they want to become clean and turn about Id support that.

But if they are on drugs then they should be on there own.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
Yes, I'm for invading any nation peddling drugs into this nation. A piece of paper I'll wipe my ass on. I won't have my hands tied while you destroy my nation. That being said, our nation allows it. The money from it is the main reason. You infiltrate them and make it go away. Your way only creates more dope fiends and your house being broken into.

How do you know what my way creates when we haven't tried it in 100 years? Though all evidence says that you are wrong.

By the way, pain pill addiction is the fastest growing addiction in America. Pain pills are legal with a prescription.

You think violence doesn't work because they are making money off the drug trade. The CIA has been caught with Cocaine. You know the helicopter crash a few years ago. Ollie North said as much. You think he steamrolled that whole thing? I'm not into turn a blind eye on evil and if that means wiping my ass on a piece of paper, so be it. You can watch the progression and you'll live it. I stand with my stance. Toughness is what this nation needs. It needs the balls to say it, It need the balls to do it.

Toughness lol. So toughness is going to overcome corruption? Fat chance! You are living in a pipe dream, not to mention are advocating destabilizing many countries, destroying untold number of lives, and finally have no idea what you are talking about. All you are advocating for is giving the corrupt people more toys to destroy lives with. Such barbarism.
edit on 15-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is correct, but if you take the dehumanizing stigma that you are a failure and scum for being a drug addict away. How many people do you think would come forward that aren't coming forward now? What's the point in seeking help if you are just going to get arrested, lose your job, and lose your life if you come forward about using drugs?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That shouldn't be a problem.

Welfare recipients are either not taking drugs or are all EXTREMELY good at gaming the tests.
Utah Spent More Than $30,000 To Catch 12 Drug Users On Welfare
No Savings Are Found From Welfare Drug Tests
Only two welfare applicants test positive for drugs

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
If a person takes drugs, and is in control of them, and leads a normal, functional life, then they don't need treatment or prison. They should be allowed to continue with their lifestyle choice, or even necessity, providing no harm is done to others. The fact is many people fall into this category, with illegal, legal and prescription drugs alike.

If a person has a problem with drugs, then treatment is a no-brainer. Why should they be locked up with real criminals just because they have become addicted to something? If they are dangerous as a result of their addiction then treatment is still necessary, even if it is in a secure environment. Obviously it depends upon which crimes were committed as a direct result of the drug use/addiction, this does not mean they should not get away with those crimes. But just for drug use alone they should never be prosecuted.

However, if a person preys on the vulnerable, and gets them hooked on dangerous, addictive substances so they can profit or otherwise benefit from it, they should be locked up with the key thrown away. That goes for Big Pharma as well as the nasty drug dealers.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Live and let live.

The problems associated with drugs come from their artificial scarcity caused by prohibition. Take away the incentive to act out, i.e. steal to be able to afford drugs, kill because of money owed for drugs, and the societal problems associated with them go away.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow

Add to that the fact that removing prohibition would also reduce accidental overdose dramatically. When you're able to legally purchase a regulated substance there won't be any issues regarding purity, strength or cut/additives that will affect the end result. Certainly people without self control will still find themselves staring down the barrel of a gun but the vast majority of accidental OD's would be a thing of the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join