It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI5 Chief Seeks New Powers After Paris Magazine Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I just came across this on my Internet trawls;

www.theguardian.com...

The head of MI5, Andrew Parker, has called for new powers to help fight Islamist extremism, warning of a dangerous imbalance between increasing numbers of terrorist plots against the UK and a drop in the capabilities of intelligence services to snoop on communications.

Parker described the Paris attack as “a terrible reminder of the intentions of those who wish us harm” and said he had spoken to his French counterparts to offer help.

I was wondering when to expect the call for new anti-terror laws to appear? I wouldn't have been surprised to hear Tony Abbott speak of introducing new legislation (and I'm still expecting to hear about this soon enough), and I'm not surprised to hear about this.

My own question I'll put to ATS is; are the laws that exist on the books already sufficient to deal with the threats that exist, or do we need new laws to deal with these type of threats? From what I have personally observed, it seems that most of the terror attacks and threats we are facing already have plenty of legislation on the books with which to appropriately deal with them.

Interestingly, the article goes on to say;

“Strikingly, working with our partners, we have stopped three UK terrorist plots in recent months alone,” he said. “Deaths would certainly have resulted otherwise. Although we and our partners try our utmost, we know that we cannot hope to stop everything.

To me, this seems to suggest that existing laws are working. Going on to reference privacy (and it seems the Snowden leaks have had the effect of at least making it seem that Intel agencies are paying tacit attention to this);

The intelligence agencies in the UK and the US claim that the Snowden revelations in 2013 about the scale of bulk data collection have undermined their capabilities. Parker said: “We all value our privacy – and none of us want it intruded upon improperly or unnecessarily. But I don’t want a situation where that privacy is so absolute and sacrosanct that terrorists and others who mean us harm can confidently operate from behind those walls without fear of detection.

I'm not acutally 100% sure what is being said here. Obviously however, those in government need to be seen to be doing something in the face of terrorism - are new laws the best way to go about this, or are there other less reactionary methods to approach this issue with?
edit on 9-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
The Only new laws we need are Laws that allow the general public to defend themselves..ie, Weapons to fight back with. It's obvious that our Governments have failed us time and time again.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

You raise one of the major points that is buzzing around in my head and that is if I am going to face a situation like they did in Paris, I want to be armed to defend myself.

I am not irresponsible and certainly wouldn't shoot the odd irritating neighbour, but I will be blown if I am going to be unarmed and virtually impotent to stop some armed criminal thug - because that's what he is, from shooting at me and my not being able to defend myself. That is an Englishman's right. I want to fight back against people like those who killed Lee Rigby and let them know the English are not sheep to their slaughter.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
The biggest problem we face is that all of these so called anti-terror laws are put in place such that the provisions apply to our entire society.

If anti-terror laws were used solely for the purposes that they claim to need them for, then I would be fine with it.

But they are not. They are used to great affect to catch all sorts of supposedly 'no gooders' who have nothing whatever to do with terrorists.

Anti terror provisions should never apply to kids making soda bombs or sling shots. They should not be used to search homes looking for some grass. Yet they are. Every time.

It is big brother! It is here and it is now and there will come a reckoning.

There will be blow back against our Governments and there will be blow back against religions.

Unfortunately, much of that blowback will harm innocents. That is the nature of blowbacks, they are indiscriminate by their very nature.

P

link   

I refuse to believe that this request was a result of the Paris shootings.

I imagine it was formulated long ago and has already been agreed.

They then simply sit and wait for an appropriate incident to justify there request.

link   

There is controversy about these shootings already which for the reason of the chaotic escape I don't yet buy into - although I haven't read through the threads yet or seen the news etc.

However I do see this as not only the police and government trying to poke their noses into our lives; I see it as a dictate by the elite, whom are more and more threatened about their holding onto the privilege and power who are also under threat as they are exposed for their acts and exactly who they are. They particularly would like to shut down and know their verbal/vocal enemy and that personal information means they are beinbg given an advantage many may not have yet against the ordinary people.

Dealing with what is the real threat to our freedom on communication though is islam and the amount of islmaics who have chosen to come into the west and change it into another islamic country. We are at the time of thinking whether we can confidently live side by side with so much islam, my view is we can't trust people with such a different view of life, politics and freedom, because islam is toxic when it comes to non-believers and all living in peace together. Already we have no go areas in london, which is something I never thought would have existed since the threat of WW2 - and we have let this into our country willingly.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

One of the biggest and most lucrative things are the spy cameras being used to increase the local government purse on illegal parkers. You see the warden's charging around Exeter once spotted by a camera - I wonder if the camera operator is part of the local government staff or getting a backhand for this little scan to grab money from the public - all for our own safety of course?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

its is most certainly a disturbing trend.....there seems to be a decisive and constant attempt to dictate peoples lives all based on the threat of terror....whether it be for our health or for our safety....it is becoming clearer every day that the average citizen has a much larger chance at survival on their own than relying on an entity that cant even look after itself

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7
Unfortunately we are not allowed anything that might give us the upper hand in a fight for your life situation. you just have to look at those who have been given jail terms for defending themselves from home invasions.

Even Pepper spray is Classed as a firearm here and can carry a 5-10 year jail sentence for having a can. so technically we can go to jail for crushing up some Scotch Bonnet peppers adding water to the mix.

I'm not trying to be funny here and neither am i parting with information that may be illegal, but has anyone ever had a sachet of that stuff in a Bombay Bad boy pot noodle in their eyes??

I would advise against ever trying it just for a laugh. I have had industrial strength thinners and Gunwash in my eyes on many occasions and i was on my knees, but i swear, The Bombay Bad boy sachet sauce was like having red hot pokers inserted into my eyeballs

edit on 9-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
The biggest problem we face is that all of these so called anti-terror laws are put in place such that the provisions apply to our entire society.

If anti-terror laws were used solely for the purposes that they claim to need them for, then I would be fine with it.

But they are not. They are used to great affect to catch all sorts of supposedly 'no gooders' who have nothing whatever to do with terrorists.

Anti terror provisions should never apply to kids making soda bombs or sling shots. They should not be used to search homes looking for some grass. Yet they are. Every time.

It is big brother! It is here and it is now and there will come a reckoning.

There will be blow back against our Governments and there will be blow back against religions.

Unfortunately, much of that blowback will harm innocents. That is the nature of blowbacks, they are indiscriminate by their very nature.

P

Exactly the goverment are already abuseing the powers we give them already.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I refuse to believe that this request was a result of the Paris shootings.

I imagine it has a lot to do with the fact that Angela Merkel has been meeting with David Cameron in London over the last few days.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It's an odd one really because I believe that terrorism is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

There didn't seem to be much of a threat to the UK ten years ago, however politicians and the media were using the threat of terrorism as a scare tactic (1000 words to follow on fear, control and marketing).

Disgruntled Muslim youths who due to racial issues are segregated from society seek something that offers comfort, other segregated people and something powerful to push their teenage angst into - this something was religious extremism.

I'm finding it hard to put into words. Basically, there was no terrorism in the name of Allah in the UK, then the media hyped up the threat, young Muslims decided to join the threat, so the threat became real and here we are today.

Not sure if I make sense here.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

It makes perfect sense to me, problem, reaction, solution.

Chicken and egg debate anyone?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I also think the UK US led foreign policy over the last 15 years hasnt helped much.

UK has had muslims living her a long time without much trouble. Its a no brainer they start causeing problems when we start invading and bombing muslim countrys.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

The Power of Nightmares: The Shadows In The Cave

The Power of Nightmares assesses whether the threat from a hidden and organised terrorist network is an illusion. In the concluding part of the series, the programme explains how the illusion was created and who benefits from it.

The full documentary can be found on youtube, vimeo whatever. Makes a good watch.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo

The Power of Nightmares: The Shadows In The Cave

The Power of Nightmares assesses whether the threat from a hidden and organised terrorist network is an illusion. In the concluding part of the series, the programme explains how the illusion was created and who benefits from it.

The full documentary can be found on youtube, vimeo whatever. Makes a good watch.

Thanks for that. I'm glad you understood what I typed too.

I look forward to watching that tonight.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

MI5 want more draconian powers.

French Police Union want all French Police armed.

Anyone else smell anything...fishy about all of this?

Watch the video of the Avenue Pierre Brosdolette shooting...

NO AK47 recoil, despite the gunman holding the rifle one handed.

NO Reverberating report from the rifle as it fired. (sounded more like a child's cap gun than a powerful AK47)

NO head virtually exploding by being hit at mere inches range.

NO reaction or jolt or movement from the body being hit in the head at inches range by an AK47.

NO apparent blood, bits of body, hair, clothing or any noticeable debris being thrown up at the point the shot hit.

NO muzzle flash.

NO smoke.

NO bloody way.

My guess...another power grab and chance to stick it to us all.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Operation Gladio - Full 1992 documentary BBC

This BBC series is about a far-right secret army, operated by the CIA and MI6 through NATO, which killed hundreds of innocent Europeans and attempted to blame the deaths on Baader Meinhof, Red Brigades and other left wing groups. Known as 'stay-behinds' these armies were given access to military equipment which was supposed to be used for sabotage after a Soviet invasion. Instead it was used in massacres across mainland Europe as part of a CIA Strategy of Tension. Gladio killing sprees in Belgium and Italy were carried out for the purpose of frightening the national political classes into adopting U.S. policies.

I personaly am under no illusion what our governments are capable off.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I think we are seeing the early preparations set for Marshall Law,once they announce Planet X (soon) civilization will break down (they may drop the money at this point as well) the true purpose will be to keep people in there jobs and so on and prevent migration I.e. People Moving to geographic safe havens..
poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

MI5 want more draconian powers.

French Police Union want all French Police armed.

Anyone else smell anything...fishy about all of this?

Watch the video of the Avenue Pierre Brosdolette shooting...

NO AK47 recoil, despite the gunman holding the rifle one handed.

NO Reverberating report from the rifle as it fired. (sounded more like a child's cap gun than a powerful AK47)

NO head virtually exploding by being hit at mere inches range.

NO reaction or jolt or movement from the body being hit in the head at inches range by an AK47.

NO apparent blood, bits of body, hair, clothing or any noticeable debris being thrown up at the point the shot hit.

NO muzzle flash.

NO smoke.

NO bloody way.

My guess...another power grab and chance to stick it to us all.

dont be ridiculous ....you are making way too much sense

top topics

<<   2 >>

join