It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland's Lucky Escape

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Just a point of order; Farage wasn't educated at Eton....and that's one of his problems, he's just not quite posh enough for many in The Tory Party, (or for Labour and LibDems nowadays), and he resents it with a passion.
He has a burning desire to show the Tories just what they are missing.

Yes, Farage is a devout Thatcherite....but then again so is Cameron, he idolises her.
And they all admire Victorian society.....and that is exactly where we are heading.

a reply to: Soloprotocol

....How would the English feel about a Labour/SNP Coalition.?

It'd be a damn sight better from my perspective than what we have right now.
No-one questions the disproportional influence the LibDems have in the current set-up considering their percentage of the popular vote or representation in Westminster.

Of course I'm still not comfortable about Scottish and Welsh MP's voting on English only matters when they have their own Assemblies to deal with most matters relating to their own specific countries.

Interestingly there now seems to be little publicity about the major parties plans for devolved power to ALL the regions of the UK.
I know Labour in particular were dragging their heels on it.

I'll be interested to see what all the parties have to say on the subject when their election manifesto's are released.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

originally posted by: DrunkYogi

When you plan to run the country through Oil revenue then it is not bonus money, that's just absurd. Westminster doesn't need to run to the EU because the UK is still together. Split the UK up and you have completely different scenarios.

Perhaps someone should share with you that Scots are some of the most clever, resourceful people to walk the earth.

Do you enjoy using the items such as these: ??

Telephone: Alexander Graham Bell (without which the internet woulnd't exist)
Television:John Logie Baird(without which computers wouldn't exist)
Structural steel and the blast furnace: Multiple inventors (without which nearly ever facet of the modern would would not exist)
Steam engine: James Watt (without which the industrial revolution would've never occurred)
The BBC: John Reith (without which the UK politicians wouldn't have been able to scare Scots into voting NO)

And about oh, 500 other inventions that have completely reshaped the modern world ?

Blast furnaces have been around since ancient China

Henry Bessemer had more to do with the invention of modern steel than any Scot

Thomas Newcomen invented the steam engine, not James Watt.

Anything else you want to get wrong ?

Actually, I could ask the same of you. The steam engine as perfected and used widely in the industrial revolution was JAMES WATT's invention. He didn't invent the steam engine, just the one that changed the world....

Sorry I wasn't more OCD, but it's pretty clear I was referring to blast furnaces as they relate to modern low-carbon steel. Much of the same developments were happening in Germany on an almost identical timeline, but the technique was patented in Scotland and the FORTH RAIL BRIDGE is a nearly 150year old testament to Scottish innovation in steel technology!

Anything else I could help correct you on?

The father of The British Steel Industry was Sir Henry Bessemer, chiefly through his invention of The Bessemer Convertor. He's not Scottish by the way.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Industrial Centre for steel production during the Industrial Revolution was Sheffield. That's not located in Scotland by the way.

You do know that the Forth Bridge was designed by an Englishman ?

edit on 6-1-2015 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

You are not wrong but unless you can round up 20 plus million other English voters to agree with you then I am going to have to keep supporting independence as the only realistic way to get reform.

You don't need 20 million English voters.
What you need is for the politicians to honour the promises they made in the run up to the vote and deliver increased devolved power to Holyrood then you can use your own legislative body to implement the change that you wish.

They appear very reluctant to deliver on these promises - but I guess we'll have to wait for their manifesto's to see how far they are prepared to go.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Its rather pointless measuring our nations intellectual penis size against one another given the fact that both country's have had such an influence on each another. Lets just say the UK has produced some great minds. Please remember through its cold up here and we do like to wear our kilts without underwear, you have to factor that in to the equation.
LoL
edit on 6-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Its rather pointless measuring our nations intellectual penis size against one another given the fact that both country's have had such an influence on each another. Lets just say the UK has produced some great minds. Please remember through its cold up here and we do like to wear our kilts without underwear, you have to factor that in to the equation.
LoL

Nice comment.

However Scots may not wear underwear when wearing their Kilts, but are they man enough to wear a English Morris Dancing outfit ?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Good point, i dont know if i would be myself.

However are said Morris dancers brave or adventurous enough to eat Haggis? Personally i love the stuff myself.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

LoL

Nice comment.

However Scots may not wear underwear when wearing their Kilts, but are they man enough to wear a English Morris Dancing outfit ?

Christ!!!..(Think of Edward Woodward in Wickerman when you say this).
SCOTLAND'S SECRET SHAME; We invented Morris dance

IT'S enough to make the most patriotic Scot set fire to his kilt - it seems we are to blame for inflicting Morris dancing on the world. A team of university researchers have discovered that Scotland's King James IV was a big fan of the hankie-waving brigade. They claim he paid for lavish Morris displays at his palaces at Holyrood and Linlithgow and at Stirling Castle. The dance style, which involves leaping about, slapping bottoms, ringing bells and waving sticks, has been described as 'the quintessence of English traditional heritage'.

edit on 6-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

The father of The British Steel Industry was Sir Henry Bessemer, chiefly through his invention of The Bessemer Convertor. He's not Scottish by the way.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Industrial Centre for steel production during the Industrial Revolution was Sheffield. That's not located in Scotland by the way.

You do know that the Forth Bridge was designed by an Englishman ?

None of which has ANYTHING to do with my (factual)claims.

Ultimately I don't care that much though. We're all from the same island, and Scottish independence would have shaken Westminster to its core, forcing them re-evaluate how they govern, and ultimately benefitted England/Wales/N.I. as well. Coulda, shoulda, doesn't matter though, it didn't happen.

My post was never meant to be a "we're better than England" thing. The OP is basically saying Scotland would be a huge failure without the oil revenues and my post listing Scotland's great innovations was written merely to show that Scotland's intellectual resources are vast. They're not a bunch of lackeys who can't make it without the dear old Queen, or a wee bit of oil.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

LOL. Thank you for your kind words. I am finished with the thread in any case. I was interested to see what kind of reaction i would get and i certainly got plenty. It's has quite been entertaining on what was a slow boring day. Bye for now folk's and thanks for the laugh.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkYogi

LOL. Thank you for your kind words. I am finished with the thread in any case. I was interested to see what kind of reaction i would get and i certainly got plenty. It's has quite been entertaining on what was a slow boring day. Bye for now folk's and thanks for the laugh.

I apologies for calling you a traitor, I meant to say "Ya Campbell".

edit on 6-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
SO True OP!

Lets face it a independent Scotland would have had a whole economy based on oil, it would have been our most lucrative export. During the run up to the referendum those in the Yes camp would go on and on about how we would be the ritch man of Europe based on our oil revenue. They can deny it all the want now but had we been independent right now with a oil based economy we would be in the crap. A new nation with a already fragile economy whose biggest export just went bust, we would have salmon banging at the door of Westminster begging or cash.

They can deny it all the want now after the fact but one of the big arguments they used to support a independent Scotland was the benefits of oil revenue and one of the big arguments against it was that the price of oil could fluctuate so much so that our oil would not be enough to support our financial needs as a state. Well this has proven it right, this would have destroyed a independent Scotland.

Thank the lord 54% of us voted with our heads and not our hearts.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Haha OMG

Strange how this place works

The most incorrect posts based on conspiracy's and uneducated guesses are the most starred?

Let's face it, and you really don't need to have that many brain cells to work it out

Scotland would have been absolutely F**ked

If Russia is crashing this fast and hard... Scotland would be an absolute TRIANWRECK bye with mass rioting

Scotland would have had a 7.6 billion budget deficit and with out a shadow of a doubt, a cast iron fact, Scotland was hoping to fund itself by oil revenues... there is no getting away from that fact as some people have stupidly denied

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LightUpTheDark

The most incorrect posts based on conspiracy's and uneducated guesses are the most starred?

ahhhh....

So Obvious you are new around here.

Its always like this and probably always will be.

Write up a huge thread based on hard facts and science about any given topic and the guy with the most stars is usually the one who is first to post "OMG you are SOOOOOOOOOOOO a Shill this is all part of the MSN brain washing by the NWO, your sources are all bias, I wouldn't want to be you with TSHTF..... and you spelt "colour" wrong so how can we possibly trust you."

its rather infuriating but if you realise that stars and flags don't really matter that much it makes it much easier.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

"The most incorrect posts based on conspiracy's and uneducated guesses are the most starred? "

Initial post by DrunkYogi has thus far received 2 stars. That's hardly a lot of stars as numerous other threads will clearly demonstrate. You may wish to peruse the site a lot more before coming away with statements such as the above.
LoL

You should probably realize as well its not about stars or flags regarding the majority of long term members, its about voicing our opinion then discussing that opinion. And in the process possibly learning something.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
So many points wrong it is hard to know were to start.
The Scottish economy has 99% of the GDP if the UK without any oil revenue so hardly an oil based economy.
Not to mention the fact that we would not even be an independent nation for another 14 months minimum.
Perhaps you can explain why a north European economy with an educated workforce and abundant natural resources would be try the basket case you belief?

edit on 6-1-2015 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Just starred you, think i'll refresh and star you 50,000 times.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Care to post the evidence for your budget deficit figure?
To be fair I know where you get the figure just curious see if you understand it and why it is wrong our if you are just regurgitating propaganda.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Since no one agrees what the promised new powers actually are the odds of them being delivered are pretty slim.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: Freeborn
Since no one agrees what the promised new powers actually are the odds of them being delivered are pretty slim.

Dont mention "The Pledge" ...I'm sure someone mentioned it once but they might have got away with it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join