It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do This In Rememberence of ME

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I thought to speak today on communion, since it is Sunday today and the day most Christians remember God.

And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and divide it among you.

This in and of itself is symbolic. It symbolizes the cup that Jesus was about to drink from, the cup of suffering. This is seen clearly when Jesus says, take up your cross and follow me. Yet, we see here that our suffering is also divided. We don't take the full measure of the cup HE was about to drink from, only a small portion.

Those sitting closest to Jesus drank from the cup first, then next in a half circle, until the time it comes back around the table to the ones closest to Jesus on the other side. This symbolizes time, from the first to the last, from his life to his second coming, HIS people share in the cup of HIS suffering for HIS name.

Then, after that, we see what Jesus gave to us, in broken body, in spilled blood.

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood."

We see what HE gave for us, so that we could join HIM in heaven. We suffer some but that we may have life more abundantly. To follow HIM carries it own smaller cross. Heaven is the promise, Jesus is the fulfillment. But it will have its small share of its own suffering. Its own rejection of men. We partake in HIS body, the cup of his suffering for us. This means, all who are part of HIS body will have a small portion of that. HIS Body is HIS church. HIS people. HIS true followers.

He isn't promising us that this road we take will be easy - but HE promises the reward at the end will be more than worth it all. Rejoice in heaven, HE told the 72.

Rejoice indeed.

I am told they are sprinkled here there and everywhere. Let us all pray for them, as they share in that cup of remembrance.

Some children in another country recently died for the testimony of Jesus Christ on their lips, and I think of them right now. They took that cup, and drank in remembrance of HIM. They had a choice - recant their faith and live, or stick with their testimony and die. They chose death. I would have too, and I know today they are in heaven. Indeed they did not choose death, but Life eternally.

edit on 4-1-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Amen!! This end game comes down to eternal life or eternal damnation i choose life at what ever cost!! Jesus is my king of kingS!!
edit on 4-1-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB
Thank you for these thoughtful words, which bring out a very important aspect of the "cup".
Incidentally, I think "NEW covenant in MY blood" deliberately modifies what Moses says in Exodus ch24 v8;
"This is the blood of the covenant".

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Which brings a good point up. Our bodies are also the tabernacle, the movable place of worship. Our bodies are the temple of the Lord. So, we are the body of Christ and also the tabernacle of God in the new covenant. This is why we ingest also the bread and the contents of the cup. Ingesting is to internalize HIM.

In the same way, he sprinkled with the blood both the tabernacle and everything used in its ceremonies.

This must become a part of us, in the truest and deepest sense. It comes down to being able to say, it is not I who live, but Christ in me. The ultimate communion. The symbolism is the reminder of the physical necessity.

The new covenant, is really the old covenant, perfected in the body. The way it was meant to be.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Jesus said, when speaking to those who had experienced the multiplication of loaves, "My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink,"

It shows how badly our souls languish out of hunger. It shows it because He shows us that we can barely understand and that our souls are malnourished.

I would not say that we are the temples of God's Spirit as of yet, but the love of God and of our neighbor are the foundation of the temple that we must build.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: backcase

I think we are all a lovely work in progress.

Remember Stephen. I think he had it - and Paul was there, I think Paul knew more than most the testimony of that one. I think it is possible to be the temple of God. We just don't reach for it as much as they did back then. They lived it to the fullest.

My thoughts only. And its not to disagree, since I believe we all are works in progress. But I think there is an attainable thing also, in this life.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Justin Martyr, in a letter written to the pagan emperor Antoninus Pius around the year 155, describing what Christians do:

"On the day we call the day of the sun, all who dwell in the city or country gather in the same place.
The memoirs of the apostles and the writings of the prophets are read, as much as time permits.
When the reader has finished, he who presides over those gathered admonishes and challenges them to imitate these beautiful things.
Then we all rise together and offer prayers for ourselves and for others wherever they may be, so that we may be found righteous by our life and actions, and faithful to the commandments, so as to obtain eternal salvation.
When the prayers are concluded we exchange the kiss.
Then someone brings bread and a cup of water wine mixed together to him who presides over the brethren.
He takes them and offers praise and glory to the Father of the universe.through the name of The Son and of The Holy Spirit, and for a considerable time, he gives thanks (in Greek: Eucharistian) that we have been judged worthy of these gifts.
When he has concluded the prayers and thanksgivings, all present give voice to an acclimation by saying "Amen".
When he who presides has given thanks and the people have responded, those whom we call deacons give to those present the "Eucharisted" bread, wine and water and take them to those who are absent"

Ol' Justin is describing almost exactly The Holy Mass of The Church. The Catholic Church. The Church that Jesus started.

"Do this in memory of me". This command from Jesus to repeat his actions and words "until he comes" does not only ask us to remember Jesus and what He did. It is directed at the liturgical celebration, by the apostles, and their successors, of the MEMORIAL of Christ, of His life, of His death, of His resurrection, and of His intercession in the presence of The Father.

The Eucharist is the source and summit of all Christian life.

Source: Catechism of The Catholic Church

edit on 4-1-2015 by Ignatian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ignatius of Antioch, a person who knew, in person, some who were present at The Last Supper (the first Eucharist) wrote:

"The Eucharist is the flesh of our savior, Jesus Christ, who suffered for our sins and who, in His goodness, The Father raised"

Catholics eat the Body of Christ, and drink His blood at every Holy Mass (mission). We have been for 2000 years. It was only after the protestant reformation that this teaching came into doubt.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

Oh I am not disputing that. All I am trying to explain is that it is an outward sign of a very inward thing, and that is, Christ in us - the ultimate communion, one of spirit.

You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

When the spirit of Christ is in us, we also then partake of a portion of HIS cup as well. The outward is a sign of the inward.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Your thoughts are filled with much love these days. A breath of fresh air.

I think it is custom to pass to the right and accept with the left hand.

It matters not much i suppose but it actually goes against the percession of standard clocks.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Amen to that, sister. You of all people can grasp the importance of ingesting Him. The Bread of Life. "Blessed are You, Lord God of all creation, for through your goodness, we have received the bread we offer You; fruit of the earth, and work of human hands, it WILL BECOME for us, the Bread of Life"

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
OpinionatedB, you never cease to amaze me. This answer floors me. I know devout, cradle Catholics who have spent a lifetime trying to fully understand The Eucharist and its' full meaning. I, personally, feel like a little baby crawling around muttering "Abba", dadda, in fully trying to understand the beauty and meaning of The Eucharist, I doubt I ever will. I may not know it, but I feel it.

It's this longing, this feeling, that draws me to the Mass....daily. Every single day. I feel I am worthy to only crawl on my hands and knees through those doors, to be in the presence of Our Lord. And through his endless mercy, allow me to even BE in His presence.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ifeel so unworthy to be there that many times ido not go, and work keeps me from going when ifinally get the nerve up, a reply to: Ignatian

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
He knows what's in your heart though. His endless mercy and love for you, which isn't measurable, is there...waiting.

Whats wonderful, It's something a good confession will wash away. There's nothing like a good, hot bath.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

But HE wants to be so much more than that to us. He wants a relationship with all of us who love HIM.

Are we worthy? no. Yet, HE still stands beconing us near. He desires that relationship. He tells me I am his wife and that HE loves me and delights in my love of HIM. He tells me I will make mistakes but that HE will forgive me because HE trusts me the same way my husband trusts me.

He is not demanding, or mean, or trying to make us feel guilty. HE died in order that we have a place to pass through, so that while yet alive we can be near to HIM. We must die HIS death spiritually in order to pass through HIS tear in the veil, but once we do this and die to this world, we can be in a relationship with HIM..

Not a slave master relationship, but a husband wife relationship. The good kind, the kind where there is love and trust and mutual understanding. The kind where each pleases the other.

Are you the submissive one in this relationship? Yes, but HE is not demanding. Love God with all your heart and all your mind and all your soul, a life of moderation, and love your neighbor as yourself. All you have to do is submit yourself to HIM fully.. and HE drives the car.

HE loves you, wants only your best, and wants a real relationship with you, wants to talk to you and spend time with you - loves it when you praise HIM ...

HE wants this with YOU Ignatian. HE picked you, not because you are worthy, but to show HIS perfect Grace and love for HIS creation! HE picked you, because you love HIM too, because you are willing to put HIM first, willing to submit.

Now understand the relationship. Its not slave master at all.. its husband wife.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have read that the closer we come to God,the more unworthy we feel. But i wouldn't use the same quote in my case because Iam in asinful state a reply to: OpinionatedB

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

biblehub.com...

I am Israel. You can be Israel too.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

you must forgive yourself. I had to also, its not easy, but you must. Your sins are for HIS Glory, use them to show others how gracious HE is.

HE is Faithful. HIS promises are true. They are real. For today. Alive and not dead. Forgive yourself, and be what HE desires you to be. HE already forgave you. HIS blood washed you clean. Now forgive yourself.

“O you afflicted one, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay your stones with colorful gems, and lay your foundations with sapphires. I will make your pinnacles of rubies, your gates of crystal, and all your walls of precious stones. All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you. Indeed they shall surely assemble, but not because of Me. Whoever assembles against you shall fall for your sake. Behold, I have created the blacksmith who blows the coals in the fire, who brings forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the spoiler to destroy. No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is from Me,” says the Lord.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I sent you a private message to your inbox, sorry I didn't know i had an inbox :-)

new topics

top topics

join