It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The repercussions if Homosexuality was found to be a medical condition

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BeenieWeenie

Compare and contrast someone with undiagnosd schizophrenia shooting and killing 12 people in a movie theater with the HIV positive who (knowingly positive) goes out and infects a greater number without feeling any guilt.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Given that homosexual behavior is easily observed in the animal kingdom, I would be very doubtful of it being a medical condition.

Even if it were, so what? It's nobody's right to dictate to another person they seek a 'cure' if they are otherwise healthy and happy as they are.

Worst. Argument. Ever. There are many things observed in animals that also happen in humans and are considered mental defects or disorders.

I've had this conversation before with people and this ALWAYS ends up being used by someone, and when i point out that animals also have mental defects i always get hit with "Well you think that way because you're an intolerant bigot", which basically makes me wonder why i even bother attempting to have an intelligent back-and-forth with anyone over the internet because it inevitably turns into a bunch of name calling directed at me when they cannot come up with anything. Nobody has told these people WHY they need to think the way they do so they have no supporting arguments, they just have their steadfast beliefs they are correct even though they never have any reason why other than "Animals do it too so it must be ok", and that makes no effing sense at all.

For the record, (Hate the fact i even have to say this, but it's always a requirement) I'm not a homophobe or a bigot or any of that so please miss me with any of that #.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I believe it might be medical resulting from something spiritual. I myself am not gay, but I have many friends in the LGBTI community and I'll stand up for them till I'm blue in the face--not because they're gay, but because they're my friends. Additionally, several of these are Christians--one is a Satanist--and many are agnostic or aetheist.

Perhaps it's something (if we are going to say it has spiritual origins) like the 'sins of the father' generational curses? Either way, I don't believe being gay is a choice. I believe my friends when they say it is just the way that they are, and have always been. (not sure I believe in the who 'bi' thing. actually (flame me if you wanna idc. if my gays don't get mad at me & actually agree with me on this but you do not then w/e I'm not saying any of this to be hateful) I really don't think it is real and believe it to be a sexual perversion. Which is a-okay but I see it as a personal choice versus someone who is gay which is not a choice).

If, hypothetically, it was a curse, and if a curse was able to change one's DNA in the womb then perhaps that's what this all is. Regardless, I think that a 'cure' would be kinda mean and dehumanizing. So what if it's a curse technically? Plenty rise above such things. And we are all sinners. If being gay isn't a choice and is innate then it's not the same as like let's say killing someone. Because one chooses to be a murderer. Whereas one doesn't choose to be gay.

I don't think that God hates gays--he loves them of course! And, slightly off-topic but I'd MUCH rather them create a cure for MEANNESS and STUPIDITY before worrying about curing gay people. Because gay people are awesome and easily some of the most-legit people I know. They're really strong people who have a lot to share with the world and I think that curing them would be a huge mistake. Especially if they are HAPPY WITH WHO THEY ARE. If you're not happy with who they are then wow thank God you're not them, huh?

edit on 29-12-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
There needs to be mental illness "pride" day.
Then everyone would be covered and equal.
edit on 29-12-2014 by BeenieWeenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

There as about as much point to the question this thread poses as asking Christians what if God were a cheeseburger, would you worship him or try to eat him?

It's not based in reality

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

You're worried that you are going to get a mountain of grief off members now pmsl
Homophobe. .......

I mentioned exactly what you posted a few years ago.......it didn't go down well (excuse the pun)

If there was a conspiracy regarding population.....then a good one would be one where for EXAMPLE ONLY.....

A way of altering specific things within a human being via vaccinations or even perhaps interfering with bio electronic signals of various parts of the brain (interesting article on sky news regarding the vague nerve)
It would surely be an interesting topic.

You say what would the repercussions be???

Probably nothing because I doubt people who are gay won't see it as an illness or a few messed up strands.

I do however believe that there is a conspiracy against population numbers and done some research but I can't relay what I find well enough to make a thread.
I type as I see and my rhreads end up somewhat fked up lol.

But,
Many women complain of weight gain, messed up cycles, an excess of unwanted hair, specifically facial hair which in turn is an excess of a specific hormone usually found in blokes lol.
Now why would that be then? Contraceptive pill? Certain coils? Strange the choice of also copper?

Oh and if it just so happens a woman is reading this and understands or relates. ...
you should eat antiandrogenic foods

There nay indeed be a plan to have a population unable to reproduce.
It could indeed be about population but could also be about money because ultimately if a couple wanred a child theres also the IVF path.
Two things spring to mind

The film 'Children of Men'
&
The song on youtube 'In the year 2525'

Well?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Oh forgot to mention in the event of it all turning out to be an illness and u ask what the repercussions would be?

A lot of straight men with and arse feeling like a wind sock.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hypothetical situations don't tend to jive well with most individuals narratives, specifically when it is something where strong bias is concerned.

I suspect if something like this was discovered, it might be a lot like transgender individuals currently. Where, the person would simply choose what they felt was right for them, what life they want to lead, etc.
edit on 29-12-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurelIDK when it comes to sex, what's "normal" anyways....

Alone, crying with an old sock

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bundy

Given that homosexual behavior is easily observed in the animal kingdom, I would be very doubtful of it being a medical condition.

Even if it were, so what? It's nobody's right to dictate to another person they seek a 'cure' if they are otherwise healthy and happy as they are.

Worst. Argument. Ever. There are many things observed in animals that also happen in humans and are considered mental defects or disorders.

I've had this conversation before with people and this ALWAYS ends up being used by someone, and when i point out that animals also have mental defects i always get hit with "Well you think that way because you're an intolerant bigot", which basically makes me wonder why i even bother attempting to have an intelligent back-and-forth with anyone over the internet because it inevitably turns into a bunch of name calling directed at me when they cannot come up with anything. Nobody has told these people WHY they need to think the way they do so they have no supporting arguments, they just have their steadfast beliefs they are correct even though they never have any reason why other than "Animals do it too so it must be ok", and that makes no effing sense at all.

For the record, (Hate the fact i even have to say this, but it's always a requirement) I'm not a homophobe or a bigot or any of that so please miss me with any of that #.

Good point. There are plenty of higher order animals that can develop PTSD if they experience trauma or neglect etc
I have a few drakes which mount a smaller drake even though their are plenty of female ducks which I think is a domineering act

Whenever I get accused of being a bigot I highlight the definition which is "a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions" which invariably highlights the personality of the person I'm attempting to have an intelligent debate with.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

There as about as much point to the question this thread poses as asking Christians what if God were a cheeseburger, would you worship him or try to eat him?

It's not based in reality

I disagree completely. Asking whether God is a cheeseburger/ape/planet/woman is an abstract question serving no purpose.

We do not know what causes one to be homosexual or have homosexual tendencies, thus it is quite reasonable to deduce that there may come a day when medical science discovers that there is an organic cause to it - and thus, a medical means to alleviate the 'condition'. Therefore, it is natural for us curious folk to ask 'what would be the social ramifications of homosexuality to be classified as a medically treatable condition?'

You need to reread, and understand the point of this thread methinks.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: jazz10

I've never heard of the population control theory it sounds interesting. Wouldn't the most densely populated countries on Earth have a disproportionate amount of homosexuals per capita? (Although I doubt the Indian or Chinese gov't would just let in TPTB scientists to dispense vaccinations willy nilly, but foreign aid workers perhaps. Africa had the AIDS crisis in the 80s(?) now Ebola to wipe out the population but homosexuality hmmm

That being said my best friend is a lesbian and her only brother is gay maybe there's some genetic predisposition

Why would that contraceptive coil be made of copper I wonder and not surgical steel... hmm

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

I disagree completely. Asking whether God is a cheeseburger/ape/planet/woman is an abstract question serving no purpose.

We do not know what causes one to be homosexual or have homosexual tendencies, thus it is quite reasonable to deduce that there may come a day when medical science discovers that there is an organic cause to it - and thus, a medical means to alleviate the 'condition'. Therefore, it is natural for us curious folk to ask 'what would be the social ramifications of homosexuality to be classified as a medically treatable condition?'

You need to reread, and understand the point of this thread methinks.

Your question is not so much abstract as it is plainly offensive.

The simple fact is that homosexuality was considered a medically treatable (psychological) condition for many years. Countless people suffered at the hands of people who were no better than mad scientists trying to 'cure' their ailment. Eventually the medical community saw sense, after ruining a great many lives and realised that trying to treat a condition that harms nobody was futile and caused great harm and didn't actually work.

The gay community has worked tirelessly to remove the stigma of sexuality to help stop the mental break downs, stop the teen suicides, stop the sense of hopelesness among gay people who are the real people this sort of foolish question affects.

And no, I don't consider you a homphobe, just misguided in your intentions. There are some questions that do not need to be asked because they can be answered by looking back into history,
edit on 29-12-2014 by markosity1973 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

so we coulded " cure " hetrosexuality too ?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
The scary thing is if found true many would be forced into treatment. ...
I for one love the fact we haave gay folk.
A co worker thought I was gay.
Took it as a compliment gay lads tend to be very well groomed.
Btw who really cares? Live and let live.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If homophobia was found to be an illness should we cure it or would that be political correctness gowne maaaaad

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

so we coulded " cure " hetrosexuality too ?

I was wondering this knowing what causes homosexuality does nt mean it's an illness, what we would be talking about about is being able to fundamentally be able to change someone, if we talk about this in babies, could parents design children, so gay couples could choose to have gay children and straight people could choose to have straight children. leads down a very troubling route. If adults could choose to change who they are then I guess that would be fine, as long as the option s available to become either gay or straight.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Essentially, you are asking gays if they are comfortable within their own skins. That's not a fair question, as it does not take into account the issues that many have to deal with in being unaccepted in a sometimes harsh social environment. So your query is actually "Are you tired enough of taking crap that you wish you'd never been born gay?"

I think you ought to have a chat with your gay friends, first.

edit on 29-12-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I believe homosexuality for the most part is genetic, some learned however. I will say though I have met several gay men with emotional problems and I believe it's because of society's mental and psychological abuse and stigmas so they are fighting their own feelings and have a constant mental turmoil. I don't see the problem with lesbians as much. I feel sorry for gay people. Not because they are gay but because of society's attitude towards gay people. I could care less if someone is gay whether it's by choice or greater design.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Bi-Polar people have an "ailment" and take pills, whats next? The right for them to be in their natural state?...Woohoo!
Gays push on us their right to behave and even marry, to the point of saturation. this is interesting to me because their whole identity could be based on an ailment and not a true sexual preference...
Studies could be done but we are all biochemistry and glands that secrete. To base your identity on something that could be an ailment with a possible cure is interesting. And then try to justify not taking the cure and seeking social acceptance for it, to the point of legislating for rights to marry which is a religious ideal, the government didn't come up with marrige... So I don't know why they don't just lobby the pope for that or umm make up their own gay religion and get married that way... I digress and egress. Take care!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join