It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The repercussions if Homosexuality was found to be a medical condition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hello,

Let me premise this post by saying that I support LGBTI's. I am straight and have gay friends and live in a very 'gay friendly' area (there's a LGBTI festival and street parade every year) This post is written with no intended disrespect and is just exploring possible social repercussions of homosexuality was found to be curable.

So what if years of medical and social science studies culminate to prove that homosexuality is caused by an imbalance of neurotransmitters and is found to be completely *curable with a course of medication (*I hate to use that word but it sets up this topic)

What would the repercussions be?

Would the 'out and proud' LGBTI community reject the claims, even the science?
Would once accepting parents now rush their children to the doctors office to get 'de-gayed'?
Would the majority of homosexuals have the therapy or not?

I welcome any constructive comment or opinions thank-you

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Youre going to get so attacked on a forum like this, with narrow minded people accusing you of "homophobia".

Not me however, I can't say either way for your theory but as a human species we are meant to reproduce with a member of the opposite sex. That is the NATURAL way. I think the abundance of homosexuals now is also natures way of cutting the population down when mother earth signals that we can not continue to support this many people with the resources we have.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was reading that the neurological construction of a homosexual man's brain is similar to a woman's and the neurological construction of a homosexual woman's brain is similar to a man's. This doesn't make it curable, though, because it is based on the actual physical structure of the brain. I think it does more to justify homosexuality.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I believe it would be down to a personal choice of each individual, depending on the circumstances and maybe the age factor, and the parents in control of the children would I guess have the final say.
Would the churches views change dramatically, reverting back to it's homopobic philosophy, and pushing people into taking the medication? a reply to: Kalixi

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

That would be horrible. I love watching women get it on with other women ;-p
On the plus side I hate seeing guys get it on with other guys... Totally grosses me out.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Many years ago, I asked someone (gay friend) about this subject. He said that ultimately any "cure" would have to be done like in the womb or as a baby. changing who you are personally is not an option.

As far as his thoughts on if he would have been changed in the womb/infant, well, he wouldn't have known the different...

But, he said he liked who he is, therefore he see's no issue with who he likes. I agree with him on that matter really.

Now, onto a different angle, I knew another guy who was gay and fully ashamed of it (due to him being Christian) and would have in a cold second opted to get "fixed". He knew the discussions and arguments against it, but that didn't matter to him. he was devout and therefore regardless of what society said, he found it immoral and would change it if possible..for now, he is simply a non practicing homosexual with a major guilt complex for thinking his thoughts.
Poor guy.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Michaelmcinerney12345
I believe it would be down to a personal choice of each individual, depending on the circumstances and maybe the age factor, and the parents in control of the children would I guess have the final say.
Would the churches views change dramatically, reverting back to it's homopobic philosophy, and pushing people into taking the medication? a reply to: Kalixi

Actually, the church would have some major explaining to do.
God doesn't make accidents, if its proven homosexuality is indeed biologically wired, then either its a mistake, or god has no problem with it (invalidating then some parts of the bible)..either way, they would be forced to reposition their stance, else deal with hypocrisy and arguably blasphemy

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
hmmmm....interesting thought. I tend to think homosexuality is both one's natural disposition and also a choice. The normally male or female characteristics that seem to exist in the opposite sex in the gay community cause me to think perhaps some people are born with a genetic disposition toward a certain sexual identity. On the other hand many gay people also seem to be seemingly "normal" males or females. Either way, I'm not sure it's something that really needs to be "cured" .

I do wonder if the trend to "normalize" homosexuality in main stream culture influences children and teens who are still developing their sexual identities ? IDK when it comes to sex, what's "normal" anyways....

edit on 28-12-2014 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Given that homosexual behavior is easily observed in the animal kingdom, I would be very doubtful of it being a medical condition.

Even if it were, so what? It's nobody's right to dictate to another person they seek a 'cure' if they are otherwise healthy and happy as they are.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Look at the bright side, it should help with population control.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Whatever it is that determines people's sexuality is almost certainly biological in origin.

Thus, homosexuals must be physically different from heterosexuals in some way.

Whether or not that difference is classified as a disease or abnormality, though, is up to us. It's not as if homosexuality makes people sick — it doesn't even stop them being fertile.

'Curing' homosexuality might be like 'curing' flat-chestedness with silicon implants.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think they would just dismiss it as lies even if it was proven.

I never understood how people say your "born that way".

If a man is sexually attracted to animals he is mentally ill,

If a man is sexually attracted to underage girls he is mentally ill,

If a man is sexually attracted to "_________" he is mentally ill,

But if a man is sexually attracted to another man he was born that way??

No, I believe he is mentally ill, just like all the other examples.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

The problem with your examples is that kids and animals are not consenting partners......it's not at all the same thing.
edit on 28-12-2014 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Actually, the church would have some major explaining to do.
God doesn't make accidents, if its proven homosexuality is indeed biologically wired, then either its a mistake, or god has no problem with it (invalidating then some parts of the bible)..either way, they would be forced to reposition their stance, else deal with hypocrisy and arguably blasphemy

Not going to derail the post, but that is quite wrong. There would be no problem if it was biological in nature.

Back to the OP, there most likely is a biological component, and at some point it will definitely be "cureable".

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel

The problem with your examples is that kids and animals are not consenting partners......it's not at all the same thing.

What you say is true but I am not talking about doing the act itself with non consenting partners.

I am talking about the mindset of the person in question. How does His desires mentally differ from someone who for instance is excited by a 14 year old girl? Both of their sexual desires are excited and they may not know why but they are. To say one is mentally ill and the other is OK is wrong.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel

Which does nothing at all to counter his argument. It is simply you choosing which condition being born with is acceptable and which is not.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As a heterosexual man let me say this.......

Does it honestly matter?

Even if it is a choice, dont we have the right as people to make the choices we feel benefit us most if it harms none?

I feel this whole debate about whether being homosexual is a choice or a medical condition is a bit moot

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am very pro equality.

I am also very pro humans are born what they are.

Regarding your question: first answer: CONSENT.

No parent of a minor should have legal rights to alter natural born chemistry.

However, if a legal adult wishes to alter their natural chemistry, they should have that choice.

Basically saying if drugs can successfully change natural born sexual orientation, legal adults deserve the right of option.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join