It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying Yourself Something Before Christmas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It seems to be a sort of implicit taboo, at least in my family, that you don't buy yourself something in the time right before christmas, if it is something that would be a good gift for someone to get you. But I've been thinking I wanted to buy a new videogame for a while, and haven't been due to the christmas thing. I have an xbox one. And idk I watched this video review for 'dragon age: inquisition' for xbox one, and it looked pretty #in awesome. I'm not really into games like that normally, well haven't been for quite a while anyways. But it looked cool, I just want to mix it up and play it. I haven't even told anyone about the game, so noone's gonna buy it for me unless I mention it. So...I'm really thinking about buying it, though it kind of feels wrong. lol. Do others avoid buying themselves stuff before christmas, or not?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If I see something I want to buy for myself, I'll buy it. Not that I don't appreciate gifts when they are given to me, but to me it's more taboo to ask for it, than buy it for myself. I give my husband hints to what I would like, but ultimately if I see something I would like purchase myself while I'm out shopping for gifts, I just get it. no guilt. After all, it's MY money I'm spending on it, and not asking anyone else to out of pocket. I never ask for anything over $20. Thats my limit.
edit on 19-12-2014 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm buying nothing for myself until January.
I'm currently poised like a vulture waiting for everyone to be skint in the new year selling their stuff off cheap.
Wishlist, van for work, certain power tools... Ah, I love consumerism.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I figure it this way...I am one of my best friends...so I buy myself a present at Christmas too; as well as buying presents for others. They matter...I matter...it's all good!

Now...go out and get that gift for yourself!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Get it. I just got myself the crew as my early Xmas present.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Greeting and Salutations- By the looks of Your avatar, I can finally ask this question WWLTD? Answer: 'If' Lao Tzu actually had a 'want' He would wait until after those who "play Chris†mas" are done with their game. This way You might luck into such a great deal that You can buy 2.. That way You mix Lao Tzu with Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks.. That has WIN written all over it!!

"TheJourney of 1,000 miles begins with a single step..." And those steps will be impeded/sullied by those in a mad dash for materialistic crap that is wrapped up in WANT, Heck if You waited until AFTER the deed, there may even be a real unappreciative turd who returned the gift unopened to get a gift card instead (Thanks Aunty Marge for waiting in line and taking 2 elbows to the chin fighting for a gift I didn't WANT...)

I'm not trying to talk You off Your gift, heck You DESERVE it... Find it ¢heap and report back to this thread about where You saw it and how much $$$ it was and "perhaps/maybe" a 'Secret Santa' will read the thread and send You the $$$$ then what? spend the $$$ for You or the "Other You"?

namaste

P.S. Enjoy Your game...

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Congrats on getting the XboxOne, It's pretty awesome if it's exclusives you want. I prefer my PS4, but I like my Xbox, as well. Dragon Age is pretty awesome, but most people complain that it runs pretty slow. So I would say, as soon as you're able to leave the starting area, do it. Go back and do side stuff later. Otherwise you'll be 20 hours into the game and still in the starting zone. Well, outside of the starting zone, lol.

As for the other, yes. Except it's after Christmas that I buy myself something. This year, I'm upgrading my phone, and taking on my own phone bill. Yay, bills for Christmas! Rofl. Buying the iphone 5, and getting on straight talk.

Last year, I don't remember what I bought for myself, lol. Probably new jeans or something. Either way, it's good to spoil yourself on occasion, especially if you're one of those people who tell themselves no all year long.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I don't get Christmas gifts so I buy myself whatever I need or want as it comes up. I usually only get one gift, that being from my husband. And he always says "what do you want?', so it's like I'm buying it for myself anyways.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well, in the end I bought it. And it is...awesome! Like I said I don't usually play games like this, haven't in quite a long time. And it's just so great. What I really like is that you can spend so much time playing and always be doing new unique things. It's not so repetitive like many other types of games.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well I have made a decission to buy myself a new car in stead of buying presents for people I hate. The only question is do I get another Mercedes-Benz like my current car, or do I go back to Volvo?

F# Christmas.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
In my family, we don't have any rules about that- it is quite common, while out christmas shopping, to come across things you want yourself!
It is sometimes a good idea to call everyone up and just confirm first, let them know you are going to do it. Make sure no one else already got that for you.

new topics

top topics

join