It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York premiere of North Korea comedy cancelled after threats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I hope these threats are just idle talk. Sony seems to be in the firering line recently.

(Reuters) - The New York premiere of "The Interview", a Sony Pictures comedy about the assassination of North Korean President Kim Jong-Un, has been cancelled and a source said one theatre chain had scrapped plans to show it, after threats from a hacking group.

The hackers, who said they were also responsible for seizing control of Sony Corp's (6758.T) computer system last month, on Tuesday warned people to stay away from cinemas showing the film starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, and darkly reminded moviegoers of the Sept. 11 hijacked plane attacks on the United States in 2001.

"We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time," the hackers wrote. "(If your house is nearby, you'd better leave.)"

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Did you read the threats?

The grammar errors alone are enough for anybody to see that it was just some North Korean press release gone bad.

These people have made this situation worse by pretending that these groups are anything else but a few delusional kids and some government propagandists.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Someone thought of a brilliant marketing scheme.
Now, everybody and their dog will flock to this film, wanting to see what the fuss is about.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Them threats are scaring cinema's. Even here in the Netherlands of Greed they are unsure if they gonna release the film.

Could be just some angry kid hackers. Or it could be someone or some people who can do some damage. But if they gonna show it here in the netherlands im gonna watch it

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
sony should resurrect the piratebay and put the movie there for everyone to see it

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Bad move IMO. If they had enough cajones to take on the film to begin with (because even your average joe could see what was coming down the line if they did) then they should have the cajones to freaking premier it.

Backing down at this point is basically saying "The next time another entity, government, sect of people, country, (insert whatever you wish here) etc. threaten us (over a movie for the love of all that is holy) we will back down and bend over promptly".

It's kind of like telling your kid no 1,000 times and then caving on 1,001 and wondering why they keep doing it. Because you are rewarding it and that is in essence what Sony will be doing here if this happens.

YMMV of course.
edit on 12/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
sony should resurrect the piratebay and put the movie there for everyone to see it

THAT is the best thing I've heard ALL day.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Freedom of speech and everything, I know but...To me it seems ridiculously stupid to make a movie about assassinating a sitting world leader. Whoever green-lit this is a moron.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malynn
Freedom of speech and everything, I know but...To me it seems ridiculously stupid to make a movie about assassinating a sitting world leader. Whoever green-lit this is a moron.

That would be Sony Movie Division and yes they are morons.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. I still think this is partly a ploy from Sony Marketing Division gone wrong as many do.

What would America do if it was their President.

Al least the British don't take themselves too seriously.

The spy comedy with Rowan Atkinson who replaced Queen Elizabeth was a real hoot and no one got their nickers in a twist.

P

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Well crap
Now I'm torn
I had no interest in seeing this movie, because I can barely stand Seth rogan.
But I really don't like anyone telling me what I should do or think.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Death of a President (2006 film)

Vantage Point

10 Best President Assassination Movies

not a biggie it seems

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!

The best one in my opinion

edit on 17-12-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Well crap
Now I'm torn
I had no interest in seeing this movie, because I can barely stand Seth rogan.
But I really don't like anyone telling me what I should do or think.

you should definitely go see the movie.

then again, you definitely shouldn't go see it.

see what I did there? you're welcome

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If a Internet movie that looked like a bunch of third graders made was used as an excuse for terror attacks in bengazi ,then what would a real Hollywood movie be blamed for?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I felt the same way actually lol. But I am not sure I can sit through it regardless. I'll just live vicariously through everyone on here. It looks like it would be painful to watch... Much like some of the other stuff that has come out lately.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Death of a President (2006 film)

Vantage Point

10 Best President Assassination Movies

not a biggie it seems

every movie on that list is about American Presidents. Not a big deal for US, but NK tends to stamp it's foot and get irate whenever they feel as if they've been insulted. Not really a fair comparison.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Agreed.

I mean seriously - you've come this far Sony.

Way to give in to terror.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Theaters already did cave to religious extremists...

Remember Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ"?
The crowds of protesters, the threats?
The fact I didn't have even an Independent theater willing to show it within 400 miles of where I lived.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

That was Brits making fun of themselves. Americans do it too.

For this situation, imagine if Russian filmmakers made a film not about Obama because he's not popular, so let's say a couple of bumbling but loyal Russians go to the States, dig up the corpses of JFK and Ronald Reagan, and reanimate them into zombies that are into beastiality and scat smoothies. How would the US react if this was a big budget worldwide release?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thank you. In for a penny, in for a pound is how that old saying goes I think. This makes me wonder if the hackers don't have some "detrimental" information they haven't released yet or that more serious threats (violence?) have been made... I mean they have carried it this far only to drop it at the goal line? It smells funny.

Not many can argue that the movie wasn't done in bad taste for sure, but a lot of them are depending on "taste".

Next time they'll "attack" again with the knowing that it worked the first time.

edit on 12/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
more empty threat crap.
i hope it gets released to as many theaters as possible
people protest and cry and threaten all the time when it comes to movies they dont like

when borat came out some people were flipping out
when dogma game out kevin smith had a hell of a time with the protesting

who cares that it is about the assassination of a world leader?
in this country we are allowed to make films. that should be it
they are not one of our allies...
who cares if kim jong cheese dont like it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join