It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2015-2021

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lurksoften
a reply to: Rezlooper

I only post significant eruptions. That site reports even small eruptions or maybe even a burp in some volcanoes. I know its still classified as eruption but something that is not turning into a larger eruption i don't post. I read the articles on that site and some others across the web that cover all kinds of activity going on all around the world. If you prefer i could flood Volcano Watch with every single small or lava flow i come across if you want. I go through many articles a day and on this site but just lurk back and post if it has not been brought up yet in certain posts.

On a side note glad i am not the only on that keeps a eye on so many moving parts going on.

Yea, I realize he posts every eruption, but that's the point of tracking them and he has been doing that for years, so because he posts small ones doesn't take away from the fact that it's a significant rise in eruptions. I'm not saying that the thread should be flooded with all those little eruptions, but the thread is very quiet compared to recent years and this on the most active year yet. Thanks for the reply, lurks.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If you happen to be in the area and fly.

Travel Alerts
Virgin Australia has cancelled all flights to and from Denpasar (Bali) today due to the impacts of the volcanic eruption at Mt Raung. Our team of meteorologists has continued to monitor the situation in consultation with the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre in Darwin.

Source
edit on 8-7-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

Source
edit on 8-7-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: lurksoften
Looks like its growing into a bigger problem.

Four Indonesian airports closed due to volcanic eruption - Garuda

JAKARTA, July 10 (Reuters) - Indonesian authorities shut four airports on Friday, including on the popular holiday destination island of Bali, due to a volcanic eruption, flag carrier Garuda Indonesia said on its official Twitter account.

Mount Raung in East Java has been erupting for nearly a week, forcing the cancellation of a number of flights to Australia. (Reporting by Kanupriya Kapoor; Editing by Paul Tait)

Source

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

RAUNG, INDONESIE :
Several airports are closed because of ash from the volcanic eruption of Raung.

At least 5 airports in Indonesia are closed because of ash emitted into the atmosphere by the volcano for a second day in western Java. It affects air traffic and flights between Bali and Australia were canceled, affecting many tourists.

The ministry said that the airports will reopen according to the evolution of the volcano which is 120 km from Denpasar airport. The other four airports are:

– The Lombok International Airport,
– Airport Selaparang in Lombok,
– Blimbingsari Airport
– Notohadinegoro Airport Jember in East Java

The Head of Geological Agency of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (DEMR) Mr Surono calls people who live around the foot of Mount Raung, East Java, not to panic and not to believe that the mountain will break out in the near future.

Surono explained that the eruption of Raung is Strombolian type. This means that an eruption that spewed incandescent material will be like sparks of fireworks, seen in the night.
He continued, saying that the type of eruption of Raung is different with the eruption of Merapi. The type of eruption of Merapi volcano, notes Surono, is accompanied by hot and eruptive clouds that glide up to tens of kilometers.

Source

Volcano Colima, Mexico 7/10/2015

CENAPRED maintains the yellow alert, but prevention protocols are already active for ash fall in the region, mainly in the cities of Jalisco and Colima and nearby cities where shelters are located in case of evacuations in next days.

MEXICO CITY: Western Mexico's Volcano of Fire spewed a four-kilometer column (2.5 miles) of ash and molten rock late Friday, prompting authorities to evacuate 19 people from a small village.

The volcano in Colima state, near Jalisco, has been active since Thursday but its eruptions intensified on Friday and ash rained down on at least seven communities, according to federal authorities.

The national civil protection agency said the 19 residents of the hamlet of Yerbabuena would be taken to another community within the same municipality of Comala.

An unspecified number of people from other communities had already left the area on their own.

The government urged people to avoid any activities within five kilometers from the crater.

Source
edit on 11-7-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

If you missed what has been going on in Indonesia this month.

5 Indonesian Volcanoes Erupt, Shrouding Skies in Ash

Eruptions of ash at five volcanoes shrouded the skies over parts of the Indonesian archipelago Wednesday, forcing three airports to close.

Mount Raung on Java island blasted ash and debris up to about 6,560 feet into the air after rumbling for several weeks, government volcanologist Surono said.

Ash erupted also from Gamalama and Dukono mountains on the Moluccas islands chain, Sinabung volcano on Sumatra island and Mount Karangetang on Siau island, darkening the skies, Surono said.

A total of more than 13,000 people have been evacuated due to the volcanic eruptions since last month, mostly from around the slopes of Sinabung in Tanah Karo District, added Surono, who uses a single name.

"Our evaluation showed there is no extraordinary natural phenomenon that triggered simultaneous eruptions of the five volcanoes," Surono said, adding that all the eruptions are natural and normal occurrences in a nation with about 130 active volcanoes.

Transport Ministry spokesman Julius Adravida Barata said Jember and Banyuwangi airports closed late Tuesday and Bali's international airport was closed for several hours on Wednesday, disrupting flights. Media reports said 37 flights to and from Bali's Ngurah Rai airport were cancelled.

An eruption of Raung early this month sparked chaos as the airport in the tourist hotspot of Bali and four other airports in the region were shutdown, stranding thousands of holiday-goers.

Last week, the ministry closed Sultan Babullah airport in North Maluku's Ternate town after eruptions at Gamalama and Dukono sent volcanic ash up to about 5,570 feet into the sky.

Indonesia, a chain of 17,000 islands where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile flood-prone plains, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

So urce

Also on a side note.

An increase in seismic activities at the submarine volcano Kick 'em Jenny on Thursday morning, has prompted the National Emergency Council to meet with a team from the University of the West Indies(UWI) seismic unit in Trinidad and Tobago. We were informed through the official channel about the increase activities at Kick 'em Jenny and like we did early we again call on all marine interest to observe the no exclusion zone of five kilometres around the summit of the volcano," said Coordinator of the National Disaster Management Agency, Terrence Walters. He promised that a detailed statement will be issued following the meeting. On Thursday, the UWI seismic unit posted an advisory informing the public that it has change the alert level of the volcano from yellow to orange stating that at 3:00am (local time), a strong continuous signal was observed on instruments monitoring the submarine volcano. "Signs of elevated seismicity (earthquakes) began on 11th July and continue to present," said the advisory which explained that for the period since the 11th July a total of more than 200 micro and small earthquakes, of varying magnitudes, have been recorded, with the largest, prior to the strong signal, less than magnitude 3.0." "There have also been observations from divers of degassing occurring off the west coast of Grenada in the Moliniere Sculpture Park area. This activity is being closely monitored by The UWI-SRC and further updates would be issued as more information becomes available," the advisory also said. An alert orange mean highly elevated level of seismic activity or other unusual activity. This means that an eruption may begin with less than twenty-four hours notice. The seismic unit says all regional governments will be alerted through Disaster Coordinators . The release stated that local radio stations in Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados and Trinidad have been placed on alert. In addition, all shipping are required to stay outside the first exculsion zone that is 1.5km from the summit and non-essential shipping such as pleasure craftshould stay 5km clear of the summit. Since the rumbling at Kick 'em Jenny telecommunications service in Grenada has being affected with only the FLOW network apparently operating.

Source

If your not exactly sure were that is at.

edit on 23-7-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Just got the official msg. No expect need for International assistance at this point. Wait over...wait out.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the Heads Up!!! (Wondering about tsumamis???)

When Jenny gets ready to “kick’em” mariners beware and sea life too..

Cool story per ship captain on a ship cruising that area in May 7th, 1902:
bjdeming.com...

Other Kick’ Em Jenny info:
www.uwiseismic.com...
oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.caribbeancompass.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Hopefully no landslide.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Just thought it is an interesting coincidence that this Volcano is acting up, and this is the same Island that MH370 debris has been found.
edit on 30-7-2015 by crappiekat because: sp

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Howdy folks! Thought I would pass thru to bring you the latest news about Sakurajima...

8/15/2015 -- Japan on Alert -- Sakurajima Volcano evacuations -- Volcano steaming excessively

I will certainly be watching closely!

www.ustream.tv...
www.opentopia.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: berkeleygal
Ah ha, you beat me to it
Warning Level 4 (Prepare to evacuate) Sakurajima 10:15 JST, 15 August 2015 www.jma.go.jp...

I only noticed from doing the daily Japan earthquakes maps, seen the numbers below 1 were huge so looked closer to see whats up, big swarm of micro earthquakes at Sakura.
Too bad the reviewed data is 2 days old by the time I get it off NIED. I stopped checking the Preliminary data as it was too unreliable.
Looks like the tremors started at 15/08/2015 08:21:32JST (14/08/2015 23:21:32UTC).

rightclickviewimage for full size on the following two

Icons:
Clear are ~M1
Aqua are M1-2
Green M2-3

M2.3 @ 15/08/2015 10:47:31JST (15/08/2015 01:47:31UTC) was the 73rd event
M2.2 @ 15/08/2015 14:46:45 (15/08/2015 05:46:45UTC) closer to the caldera, was the 243rd event
314 events on the maps to 16/08/2015 19:32:40JST (16/08/2015 10:32:40UTC)

Hakone (SW Honshu) has gone quiet again BTW

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Thought I would add this.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Mt. Ruapehu, NI, NZ
Often its not just what a volcano is doing, sometimes its just as important what it is not doing
Ruapehu Crater Lake, temperature may have reached lowest point

During the last 50 or so years Mt Ruapehu has erupted often and one trend we have noticed is that the eruptions occur from either a hot or cold lake. They do not occur every time the lake gets hot or cold, however if one does occur it will usually be at one of these extremes

more

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Volcanic plume rises 2,000 meters after Mount Aso eruption: Japan Meteorological Agency

Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture erupted at approximately 9:43 am on Sept. 14, the Japan Meteorological Agency announced.

(Scroll down for video.)

A large cloud of volcanic plume was seen emerging from one of the volcano's craters following the eruption. The plume was reported to have risen to 2,000 meters.

The agency raised the eruption alert level from 2 (restriction of entry to areas near the crater) to 3 (restriction of entry onto the mountain).

The government set up a liaison office at the crisis management center of the prime minister's office the same day.

The agency warned of cinders and pyroclastic flows within a 2 kilometer radius of the crater

Source (Google Translated)

a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Well never thought about doing my own thread. Usually stick to the watch threads.
edit on 14-9-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

It has erupted recently in the past 2011 and 2009 most recent. No injuries being reported at the time and only thing they are watching is the ash cloud as it might ground some flights in the future.
edit on 14-9-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Maybe you should do thread on these to spread the awareness...

Edit: Is the eruption significant? When was the last time this volcano erupted? I am interested to know? If such is the case, then it's quite interesting to note?

But thanks for sharing..

Peace

edit on 14-9-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
What I like about the Volcano thread and Earthquake thread and etc...... is all the information is in one place and I know where to find it.

I check these threads everyday. And if I have a question, I know someone will be coming along that will read my post and more than likely will be able to answer it.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
With all of us focused on the large earthquakes shaking today I didn’t want to miss the 3.2 right over the Socorro Magma Body in NM

M 3.2 - 27km NNE of Socorro, New Mexico
Time
2015-09-16 19:34:08 UTC
Depth
5.8 km

The Socorro Magma Body, New Mexico is the 2nd largest known magma body within continental crust in the world.

www.nmnaturalhistory.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Just saw this breaking. Cant imbed the video yet. Relative active volcano.

Video: The Telica volcano spews ash in León, Nicaragua

From twitter

Prevention committees are triggered by activity of Telica
There are eight communities that are settled at the foot of the colossus, as the Codupred

An expulsion of gases and ash that reached 400 meters high experienced Wednesday at 8:10 am the Telica volcano , located 30 kilometers northwest of the provincial capital of Leon so the authorities activated emergency committees.

By strong winds that occur in the West, the gas giant are affecting communities northwest, especially in the municipalities of Quezalguaque and Chichigalpa, authorities said.

Reported ashfall in Chinandega

Residents of communities pouch, Mora, Bethlehem and San Isidro, located east of the city of Chinandega abundant today reported ashfall issued by the Telica volcano.

Young Bianka Vallecillo, a resident of the community Stock Exchange, said the roof and the courtyard of his house is full of ashes, and with other community remain on alert for any emergency that may occur by the activity of the colossus.

Source Googled Translated
edit on 23-9-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Bardabunga in Iceland may be ready for another stretch. Keeping my eye on Tungnafellsjökull as the earthquake activity seems to be focused there at the minute. Keeping my eye on the quakes on baering.github.io...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
8th Eruption this year for this volcano. Alert Level was increased to yellow.

Fuego volcano activity intensifies
The National Institute of Seismology, Volcanology, Meteorology and Hydrology (Insivumeh) reported Wednesday that the Fuego volcano activity has increased in the last few hours, and that there have been explosions that have caused lava flows of 400-600 meters length.

The report details that Insivumeh to 4.50 hours the eighth year of that eruption of the volcano, which throws volcanic ash and gases to four thousand 800 meters above sea level, the plume moves westward recorded , south and southwest around 12 km.

The company said in its statement that the eruption is effusive and can be increased in the coming hours, and recommends to the National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction (Conrad), implement the state of yellow alert phase two to be aware of the evolution of the eruption.

The Conrad notes that the information has been transferred to community leaders and officials from the departments of Sacatepequez, Chimaltenango and Escuintla for appropriate monitoring.

Source Google Translated

Twitter Video
edit on 7-10-2015 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join