It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you 'made it in life'? This is the ultimate checklist

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

St Francis of Assisi reports that he could only check three of these items;
40. Takes the dog for treatments
48. On first name terms with local priest/vicar
50. Have 2,000 Twitter followers

edit on 4-12-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud home is where the heart is

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Amazing, I scored 0

This list is truly revolting, it just screams capitalism.

And what is log burner? Synonym for fire place?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The people that sold all tha crap to you are laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The people that sold all tha crap to you are laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I got One and a half.
We got 'good school for our daughter'.
And instead of pony rides, our daughter went to year round swim team.
So I'll give that one a half.

We have a beagle, but no papers so it's just someones word.
So I won't count that as a 'pedigree dog'.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I got 10. I also live in a gated community with weekend residents who own full time apartments in The Dakota. I drink $18 a pound coffee.

Yet I'm not rich, I'm unemployed (currently), I pay rent to my father (who's house this is). Grew up with 2 ATVs, access to a private lake, private car to school, etc.

My friends are either unemployed or living in filth, I can't stand the "rich". I've noticed the real people don't hang out in the association president's house, they hang out in regular places.

If you ask me, that "made it" list is very narrow, people consider making it by other options, other goals. Not everybody wants the almighty dollar, the mansion, the weekend car.

Sure you may have made it, but you only made it up to the narrow predetermined standards of society. I haven't made it, I'm in debt, unemployed and the fact that I came from a "good family" doesn't change that.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
A log burner means one of things in your house with a chimney where you can burn stuff to heat the house.

In England they all got ripped out 50 years ago and gas was installed, now the rich have had them put back in again to avoid paying high fuel prices. It's genius really.

a reply to: Thebel

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Oh well then I'll have to say I got 11 or 12 (2 fireplaces, one pellet stove). Haha, I still don't consider myself to be better than anyone else, I'm a person, just different circumstances.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The Mrs has just informed me that we do have 400 thread sheets. Get me! I've really gone up in the world. We also have a fireplace of the open hearth type, but no trendy woodburner

Looks like I have gone up to a "2"

a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I like your take on this, particularly the flooded basement. I think that this may double as a luxury underground swimming pool - add one to your score

Yow'm reet posh!

a reply to: Tardacus

a reply to: Thebel

A log-burner is just English for a woodstove, of the metal box with a door and stove-pipe variety. Somewhat beloved of the "Ok- Yah" set, but hardly an exclusive item.

It really is a bloody silly list

edit on 4-12-2014 by skalla because: stupid keyboard

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It is everything that we should have left behind in my opinion. I was thinking about writing a true list that does not exclude the unwashed masses as we are made out to be.

Do I know the first name of my local vicar? No because I am not religious.

Are you on first name terms with a homeless person? This I feel is a far better question and would give me a point without it being self centered.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

This list was probably made by the same set of people who dictate what is fashionable, trendy, upper class, etc. It's always a small group of people who decide what is "in" for the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Wow. I have accumulated Not a Single one of these. Zero, nada, zilch.

However, I'm debt free, living in my paid off home, not working and spending every day on my computer which is exactly what I would do if I had trons of money, soooo...

And wtf is an Aga or Gilets?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
"Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon ?"

Yup, that's the only secret phrase you need to know to rub elbows with the blue bloods of the world... they'll think you're one of them !

(I'm probably going to lose my Diner's Club card for revealing that little tidbit)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

Aga is a gas range. Never had one, always went electrical.

But for you
This is what I mean, you're debt free and you haven't "made it". Those of us who "made it" are in debt lol. This is why I said the real people aren't found in the rich areas.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: gottaknow
Wow. I have accumulated Not a Single one of these. Zero, nada, zilch.

However, I'm debt free, living in my paid off home, not working and spending every day on my computer which is exactly what I would do if I had trons of money, soooo...

And wtf is an Aga or Gilets?

An Aga is a brand of Range Stove that can use variety of fuels. They are pretty awesome really, and rather pricey. you can run your hot water off them too I think, my folks and in-laws both have them.

I think a gilet is just a posh word for a bodywarmer (a sleeve-less padded jacket)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well we scored a 1 with we do own an electric garage door :-)
Moving on up here!
www.youtube.com...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Amazing. I don't want any of those things. We have a hot tub, and love lobster fresh from the sea. My own yardstick for fulfillment/happiness is much shorter:

1. love and trust
2. shelter
3. something you share with someone you love that you both enjoy
4. the ability to help others
5. close to the water
6. the ability to make those you love laugh
7. the ability to sleep well
8. not being shot at
9. peace
10. something that works your mind
11. nature
12. music

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

A big FAT zero! And couldn't be prouder!

But I'm a minimalist and happy...so I guess that's what really matters most...to me anyways.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm glad posters here see through this made it list. We all have different ideas of success, comfort and security. For instance, I have a home theater system, but not a designated home theater so I'm told I'm not "good enough" But for what? Exactly, to me it's just gadgetry.

One of the selling points of the house I grew up in was the fact that it has a ballroom with a floor designed for classical dancing. Our tv is in it, we don't dance. My clothes are old because I'm frugal and unemployed.

Up here is cheaper than the city and the celebs up here agree. David Cross has a house up here, a guy from The Strokes and I believe the man who started Vice has a place up here too. My friends are all fishermen and hunters lol.

I'll pick George Roper over Jeffrey Fourmile any day. For every person who has "comfort" there's millions who have nothing. Who do you trust?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join