It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Level BS #24: Decades of Institutionalized Racism Set The Stage for Ferguson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
We started a typical, isn't this all terrible, send up of the rioting and looting in Ferguson, Missouri, and found ourselves taking a turn down history instead. While the actions of a small percentage opportunists creating the imagery being gobbled up by mainstream media is most certainly abhorrent, it's very clearly history repeating. So we took a look at the history, and found that there are important details that people need to know. The intense frustration is deep, and has clearly identifiable influences throughout history.

Watch in HD on www.TheNLBS.com

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Absolutely brilliant and spot on!

When people ignore ( deliberately or otherwise ) the bigger picture it does a grave injustice to all sides of the debate. The idea that we live in a "post racial America" is nothing more than doublespeak for those who simply do not wish to openly discuss the disparities of our society.

Good on you Joe.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

great episode
...the history of that place is disturbing....it is really no wonder why the locals are mad as hell......

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Great episode you don't have to look to social media to find out right racism, its much closer to home!!

As the white people moved out so did the high paying jobs!
edit on 26-11-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I didn't know you were a race baiter joe!
Great episode, fantastic history lesson.

ETA: That man at the end was a powerful ending.
He was pleading his heart and soul out to those people, I am all for the protesting and not following the 'protest rules' like the death marches they made them go on first time around. ( I know dramatic, sue me)

I will never be for the looting that took place as most if not all those business owners were not the ones that made this ruling.

edit on thWed, 26 Nov 2014 19:46:48 -0600America/Chicago1120144880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Thanks for this one guys. It's important.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The government doesn't care what the color of the skin is.

The only thing being seen is tearing down the country to rebuild a one world government.

Instead of people of every color being divided by these monsters - they need to unite to rally against this madness.

If you are not part of the 1% then you are discriminated against.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
ETA: That man at the end was a powerful ending.

I could not keep a dry eye every time we played that. Even now… thinking of it...

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This is about success and failure. It is about a failed culture left behind by a more civilized society. For everything there is a least common denominator and Ferguson represents the least. These are the bottom rung who always occupy space among those who produce. These are the burden of a modern society. They are the non-producers, the ultimate consumers who serve no useful purpose. They must be controlled and pacified. Some will rise from it but most will simply reproduce more of the same. They have existed throughout history in every society. They are the failures of humanity.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Good episode guys. A lot of people could use a history lesson regarding black history, and I'm glad to see you guys opening the door for others to gain some understanding and compassion for the plight of our fellow Americans.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses. This was a fascinating topic to dive into. I've included some links to some of the papers I used in my research.

The Making of Ferguson by Richard Rothstein

Burn, Baby Burn by Jonathan Bean.

The Moynihan Report Revisited.

Here's the critical piece about Grand Juries from Leipold: Why Grand Juries Do Not (and Cannot) Protect
the Accused

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday and remember to let your turkey chill before getting it cooked.

edit on 26-11-2014 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: theNLBS
Thanks for the responses. This was a fascinating topic to dive into. I've included some links to some of the papers I used in my research.

The Making of Ferguson by Richard Rothstein

Burn, Baby Burn by Jonathan Bean.

The Moynihan Report Revisited.

Here's the critical piece about Grand Juries from Leipold: Why Grand Juries Do Not (and Cannot) Protect
the Accused

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday and remember to let your turkey chill before getting it cooked.

Love the turkey pic - it made my night!

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday also.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Thank you for this.

I feel less lonely saying it over and over again on ATS.

It's not as simple as Brown/Wilson - it's about systemic injustice/ and institutional racism which cultivates disenfranchisement and a sense of hopelessness.

And, as we see in Ferguson, hopelessness breeds self-destruction and desperation.

Until we have tough conversations and call it out, every generation will go through this, just as it has since Jim Crow.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder what will Congress do if anything about this? All legislation that gives police or authorities more powers is supported by the republican party, now Congress has a republican majority including the supreme court what will be done to address this civil unrest?

There are threads right here on ATS that advocates coming down hard on Ferguson, but IMO as long as Ferguson continues to stand up to the oppression other cities will follow.

After the 92 riots over Rodney King nothing was really done, the outburst seemed to play itself out, this has been going on for months, and now is on a national level. Before the 92 riots the last time there was so much civil unrest was leading upto the civil rights act that the republican majority supreme court gutted last year, so now what?

Rand Paul is the main republican speaking out about this and he is blaming this on the war on drugs (or it has contributed to this situation) If Congress acts in a sane way Obama will support there actions, but will they? Or is party politics too important to them??

If Congress doesn't act, then what?

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
My two beefs with this episode:

1. So what if the prosecutor trashed the media ?

Hell as long as I been on ATS that has been a daily occurrence.

2. How the hell is their 'institutionalized' racism in modern America ?

Between 'affirmative' action where people get jobs based on nothing, but their skin colors.

And the Jim Crowe LAWS.

About the only thing I would agree with is the Ferguson is some next level bullsnip.

Because apparently the only 'criminals' in this country are the evil 'white' folks. Oh, and if they happen to be a cop.

Well that is the mark of the beast. Hell might was well put 666 on them or the scarlet A.

Considering the last few days in Ferguson proved the cops case better than anything has.
edit on 26-11-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Oh IMO the civil unrest will continue because law enforcement will continue to kill unarmed civilians and or beat and brutalize women and children, unless the laws, training and new procedures are put into place.

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
My two beefs with this episode:

1. So what if the prosecutor trashed the media ?

Hell as long as I been on ATS that has been a daily occurrence.

2. How the hell is their 'institutionalized' racism in modern America ?

Between 'affirmative' action where people get jobs based on nothing, but their skin colors.

And the Jim Crowe LAWS.

About the only thing I would agree with is the Ferguson is some next level bullsnip.

Because apparently the only 'criminals' in this country are the evil 'white' folks. Oh, and if they happen to be a cop.

Well that is the mark of the beast. Hell might was well put 666 on them or the scarlet A.

Considering the last few days in Ferguson proved the cops case better than anything has.

I 100% agree with you neo, the double standard crap needs to end. It comes down to this, you don't destroy people in your own communities businesses in order to get your point across, though I believe it's mostly just opportunists who are doing that.

You don't protest at night, when bad things happen, and you can mix in with the criminals.

You don't destroy City property, or light it on fire and try to turn over Law Enforcements vehicles.

You don't attack the media, and destroy their equipment.

You don't throw maltov cocktails at Law Enforcement.

You don't violently attack innocent civilians that have nothing to do whatsoever with what occurred.

And you don't assault a police officer, then try to take away his firearm, run away but then charge back toward him, and then expect a terrified human being to not defend himself.

It really disgusts me how many hypocrites there are out there right now. If it were any of them, any of them, they would be singing an entire different tune. And that is the largest problem that we have right now, a bunch of irrational cop haters that can't seem to read between the lines.

~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am a regular reader of the posse commitus threads there are dozens of examples where national outrage should of occurred for example the homeless guy gunned down with 43 bullets over a stolen cup of coffee and many others where there is a clear cut excessive use of force,so why the rioting over this guy killed in unclear circumstances but definately in a police officers face,now I know there is possibly endemic racism in the US but I wonder how far these protests would of gone without professional agitators and CNN cheering them on,IMO this was a watch the monkey show to keep your minds off immigration.
edit on 26-11-2014 by khnum because: boo boo

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissingRonnieR
This is about success and failure. It is about a failed culture left behind by a more civilized society. For everything there is a least common denominator and Ferguson represents the least. These are the bottom rung who always occupy space among those who produce. These are the burden of a modern society. They are the non-producers, the ultimate consumers who serve no useful purpose. They must be controlled and pacified. Some will rise from it but most will simply reproduce more of the same. They have existed throughout history in every society. They are the failures of humanity.

It isn't about success or failure or even Ferguson for that matter. It's about an event that grew to urban legend status thanks to endless prodding by the media as well as the usual race baiters including our current administration. It's a handful of locals, a lot of imported protesters and a boatload of opportunist criminal wannabes who see this as a chance to cause chaos and get away with it.

I believe the police allow a few places to be burned down to help maintain the image of their presence being needed there. It wouldn't surprise me if their own gas grenades started some of those cars on fire.

Opportunities are limited for anyone growing up in the ghetto but there's always a few who succeed regardless and rise far above their peers. Color has nothing to do with whether a person can succeed in such an environment.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Robert Reich

Here's what I hope we've learned from the debacle in Ferguson, Missouri:

(1) When there’s conflicting evidence about whether an unarmed person has been murdered by a police officer, a public jury trial is the appropriate process for determining guilt or innocence, not a grand jury in which there’s no opportunity to cross examine the accused.

(2) The role of the media isn’t to guess whether someone is guilty or innocent, or to give the accused free airtime to explain his side of the story (as did ABC this morning). It is to report the news.

(3) Poor, minority communities deserve community policing that builds trust, including minority police officers, rather than law enforcement that’s viewed by a community as repressive.

4) Armed law enforcement personnel should be equipped with body cameras of the sort now used in many communities to assure responsible behavior.

(5) There is no excuse for looting, burning, or other forms of violence. Innocent people are harmed or killed. Communities may not recover for years. Trust is further destroyed.

Other lessons?

www.facebook.com...
edit on 26-11-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join