It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With gay marriage legal, what about bisexuals? Should they have the right to marry two people?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

This is an incredibly narrow minded view of bisexuality. Just because you are attracted to both genders doesn't mean you will fall in love with someone from both genders. Most bisexuals just choose one or the other naturally depending on who they are dating, they aren't forced to choose by the government.

Polygamy isn't legal for heterosexual people, so it isn't legal for homosexuals or bisexuals either. How is that hard to understand? For the record, as long as they are adults, I think polygamy is ok.
edit on 25-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: Nyiah
That's called polygamy, and it's currently illegal. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind how many legal-age spouses a person has, but a lot of people seem to think many wives/husbands = pervy Fundie Mormons drooling over 12 year olds, so whatever.

IMHO, consenting adults should be able to engage in any contractual arraignment they wish. The key to this, IMHO, is "consenting adults." I agree that it is in the interest of the state to ensure that protections for minors if polygamy was ever legalized exactly because of what you mention.

The first bit--how does that square with your stance against legal prostitution?

The second bit--I agree. A private business owner should not be compelled by the state to engage in commerce that they are morally opposed to. The freedom of choice and conscience should go both ways, not just to cover a protected class.

Please go back and read the other thread and all my replies, I am not against legal prostitution if all safety conditions are met, hidden camera security protection, both parties with health certificates, both parties bathe first in antiseptic, condoms used, right of refusal for any person or any act. (Also included in the legalized prostitution, heavy prosecution for all Johns who solicit or use illegal prostitution, to protect the legalized prostitution)

That said, consenting adults should be able to engage in any contractual arraignment they wish. However, privately held, closely held businesses should also not be forced to do anything against their moral code.

I really get angry at people who wish to impose their moral standards on others through force of law.

I.E. forcing closely held businesses to do things against their moral code. If we are to honor one persons moral code (ie, gay marriage) then we need to honor another persons moral code (a private baker who does not wish to make a cake for them). I think this type of behavior is as morally "bad" as being homophobic.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus
yes a true story, it never made it to national news story, thank goodness, but I shared it without names and places to protect the people involved.

Also, the attempt by his lawyer was to show the animal had a conscious knowledge of love of his client.

edit on 25-11-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Do straight dudes get two wives because they like 2 different women at the same time?

There is no difference.

If you decide to marry someone you should be allowed to. And that stops at one person in the USA.

That's it.

Pick a girl or pick a guy.. If you are Bi.. But if you cheat on your "wife" or "husband" then that's not a marriage anymore..

I don't understand why you think it's different.. Straight guys want to have sex with lots of different girls. But if I'm married it's not going to happen. SO if someone is bisexual (I know some who are) they marry one person just the same.. If they mess that up with a girl or another guy it really doesn't matter..

MARRIAGE is NOT sexual...

What it is is a promise to another human.. One other human. I'm fine wit any variation of that except young people being involved..

A truly bisexual person might not be completely happy in a marriage without the option of the other sex.. I wouldn't know. But if they choose marriage marriage is marriage.

I'm confused of how this sounds different at all to a straight guy who is still attracted to other women. If it's off limits it doesn't matter the sex of the person.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Get the government out of the business of marriage. While I think polygamy is morally incorrect (and often unfair to the spouse who has to share their one love with one or more other people), I don't think there should be laws dealing with it. If inheritence and visitation rights and all of that get complicated in the eyes of the law, so be it, but I just simply don't think the government (nor my moral beliefs) should be able to dictate who or how many people someone else marries.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The whole gay marriage thing comes down to two issues. Taxes and insurance
Joint tax returns and inheritance tax.
Insurance coverage on a same sex spouse.
Married couples have a different set of rules than singles. These legal issues are the real reason that gay marriage has not been sorted out.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
The whole gay marriage thing comes down to two issues. Taxes and insurance
Joint tax returns and inheritance tax.
Insurance coverage on a same sex spouse.
Married couples have a different set of rules than singles. These legal issues are the real reason that gay marriage has not been sorted out.

exactly and also in the legal issues of "family"
Hospital visits and such... Not blood related but married.

My view:

Since government decided to be involved in giving people extra rights by being married, and government also has a rule that EVERYONE has the same rights....

Gay marriage must be legal.

Otherwise another option is to take away all legal rights to marriage and leave marriage up to churches or other cults or societies..

It's very simple based on our law. Gay marriage has to be legal. Otherwise we are shutting people out from relating to each other. It's not ok.

If I was gay I would be Pissed!! It's so obvious. I'm a guy and I like girls, but that doesn't mean other people shouldn't also get what they need too. Adoption... Child custody... It's too important to pretend other people are not the same as you.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I just don't understand why people are so obsessed with marriage . So obsessed over what happens in other peoples bedrooms with whom . Then whine and cry about some one else infringing on their freedoms and freedom of choices . Mind your own effing business .

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

But if you can redefine marriage in one way there will be other ways of redefining it as well.

Perhaps but you can't redefine hearts and that is a recipe for disaster and heartache. No two ways about it. Bring a third into a sexual relationship and someone is going to wind up hurt.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, Polygamy should be 100% legal.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Animal can't consent so its irrelevent here.
In same countries there are animal brothels (google "animal brothels").

I agree that bisexualism and polygamy are separate issues , hetro and homo may like different people of the same kind , its just that with bisexuals there are more kinds.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just got back to the thread, and it has evolved into a polygamy or animal-love thread (like in a nightclub as the hours move along). The original question is solely about totally 100 percent bisexuals who have an equal attraction and an equal love for both a man and a woman. Society, through it's legal system (and yes, I know polygamy is illegal in western countries, thanks for those who have re-educated me to this fact), forces a bisexual to choose one part of his or her psyche/sexual makeup, and go with that for the rest of her or his life (or first marriage, whichever comes or goes first). It seems a fair legal case could be made for this individual, at a minimum. I didn't say they'd win, but that they'd have a legal and ethical point to make.
edit on 25-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What's the difference between a bisexual person "being forced to choose" between a man and a woman, and a straight person "being forced to choose" between two people of the opposite sex? Why exactly would gay marriage suddenly change things allowing a person to marry two people?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I dont give two #s who marrys who as long as its consenting both sides.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: paxnatus
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Chester, is this story real???? I only have this to add....In some Middle Eastern countries it is illegal to have sex with the animal you plan to eat!! Real law I swear! Punishable by death!

When do we as a human race say enough is enough! Our society is already depraved if we continue to chip away at the moral fabric then we can no longer define our specie as human...It is our moral conscious that separates us from the animals!

Pax

I dont see it as the goverments place to impose "moral" standards in a free country.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Another 'mind game' with the law (not worth its own thread but another aspect of the gay marriage laws):

If a man marries another man in a gay marriage state in the U.S., say, in Montana. They then move to a state, North Dakota, where gay marriage is not now recognized in any way (even accepting a gay marriage from another jurisdiction). One of them then marries a woman in that state. When gay marriage legally comes to North Dakota, what is the status of this man's marriages? Both were legal at the time, no?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Sure just not at the same time. Come on is this even a valid reason to start a thread? Every one knows you can't be married legally to more than one person no matter what your sexual orientation is. Dumb question.

This is absolutely not a dumb question.

In the vast majority of ancient cultures, polygamy was a normal and accepted practice.

It is fairly recent in history that marriage has been only defined as two persons.

In a fair number of countries around the world polygamy is still accepted as a legitimate form of marriage.

With historical and cultural and foreign legal precedence this is a quite valid question.

Doesn't mean I think it is a good idea,
I don't because interpersonal complications are inevitable.

But it is still a valid question.

No it's not because we're not talking about ancient cultures or foreign countries we're talking about here the USA and now, the 21st century. And here and now it's illegal to be married to more than one person. Even the Mormons agree.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have heard that Jesus will marry everyone?

How would benefits like from gv. and employers be dealt with if one can marry many?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

IMHO, consenting adults should be able to engage in any contractual arraignment they wish. The key to this, IMHO, is "consenting adults." I agree that it is in the interest of the state to ensure that protections for minors if polygamy was ever legalized exactly because of what you mention.

So now we go down the path of what is an "adult". One could argue that 13 is an adult,and had been considered one until recent times.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Another 'mind game' with the law (not worth its own thread but another aspect of the gay marriage laws):

If a man marries another man in a gay marriage state in the U.S., say, in Montana. They then move to a state, North Dakota, where gay marriage is not now recognized in any way (even accepting a gay marriage from another jurisdiction). One of them then marries a woman in that state. When gay marriage legally comes to North Dakota, what is the status of this man's marriages? Both were legal at the time, no?

Age old question... If you marry in AR then move to TX and get a divorce is your ex-wife still your sister?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join