It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Indoctrination & Susceptibility to Ufology

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
How many of you come from a religious background or are former "believers" in one form of mainstream religion or another?

The reason I ask is because I was raised Catholic, attended Catholic school and, at one time, was what would be considerd a believer. Eventually I abandoned organized religion, and finally spirituality all together, and accepted logic, reason and science as my belief system. This left a hole somewhere deep within my psyche. No matter how logical and reasonable I've tried to be my years of faith based existence seems to have left a lingering want or need for a "power greater than myself".

I often wonder if my attraction to ufology is related to my religious upbringing. It seems to fill the desire for belief in something greater but with a scientific twist.

Is it possible that former religious folks are more susceptible to the draw of ufology?
edit on 18000000pm11America/Chicagopm1949America/Chicago by duaneology because: typo

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: duaneology

I was raised in a religious(Christian) household but read the bible when I was 11 or 12 and realized it wasn't that different from any other fairy tale or religious text.

I don't see aliens as a potential "power greater than myself" because they'd just be creatures existing in a universe alongside me. I think my interest in aliens is simply because it's darned interesting. Imagine the knowledge they'd have that you could learn from.

Also, most people are raised in religious households so I don't think it's linked to a religious upbringing but probably has more to do with people that are fascinated with mysteries. That's all science is really. You take something mysterious and make it un-mysterious. Then you say "cool" and move on to something else.

My guess is that if there are aliens that they have probably gotten past the stupidities that humans currently experience otherwise their technology wouldn't have advanced to the point where they can travel to distant planets.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Religion just does not fit in the grand scheme of things.

The only way I see that God can be real is if that God is a far advanced alien species that seeded life on Earth.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Come from a Christian family. Started to question faith in Jesus at age 10. Asked the priests at church lots of paradoxs.

my favorite question still to this day.

Is how can someone, Say Jesus for instance. Die for people's sins. I mean just because it's written does not make it true in the sense they make it.

From what i understood. He died because of sins, So when they say he died for our sins. I'm thinking that it's a metaphor for don't judge people with Death simply because what they say. People can be punished sure but action is what determines a crime. Unless the crime involves lieing to conceal an action.

Eitherway. I think it's all bogus, Does that mean there isn't some epicness to the Universe? Absolutely not. I'v seen aliens in Real life so i know life is exciting.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

For a long long time I too saw no connection between my interest in ufology and my childhood religious indoctrination. It's only very recently at 39 that I'm seeing the parallel.

I'm asking others from a similar background to look deeply inside themselves and see if there isn't some validity to the hypothesis I'm making based on my own introspection.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Have you read the 'Gospel of Thomas', if not, then do so, it may fill that void.

In the Thomas gospel, Jesus is presented as a spiritual guide whose words (when properly understood) bring eternal life (Saying 1). Readers of these sayings are advised to continue seeking until they find what will enable them to become rulers of their own lives (Saying 2) and thus to know themselves (Saying 3) and their legacy of being the children of "the living Father" (Saying 3).

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-11-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I am over 29 and have looked deep into myself in regard to all sorts of things and I can say without a doubt my interest in aliens is because they are interesting.

I understand what you are getting at, but not everyone is searching for a higher power to replace the higher power that was hammered into their brain during youth.

I just don't see aliens or anything else as a "higher power". There is only the universe and to say something that exists in it is greater than something else that exists in it is a silly concept. That's like looking at a sandbox and thinking that one granule is of lesser value than a boulder sitting across the street. They are different, neither one exists less than the other nor is one greater than the other. They coexist in the same space just in different ways.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Try Russian Evangelical Baptist Church. I'm 18 as of August and it's amazing how strong a tool religion is. Grown people with the mentality of chidren. Anyhow, science was always more interesting to me..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
My father was a pastor and I basically grew up in the church by my house.

I've escaped the organized religion, after much soul searching, life experiences and reading hundreds of books on everything from Christianity, history, spirituality and everything in between.

I'm now spiritual or a Diest, I believe in God but not in any organized religion. Do believe that UFO's have visited the earth and that perhaps. 1% ...well probably less than that, of sightings, reports, crop circles etc are real. a very small percentage but that small percentage is really something to look into!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

I think you're misunderstanding my original post. I was not actively seeking a "higher power" or anything greater than myself, or godlike"...I just tuned into Art Bell one rainy Vancouver night many years ago and was hooked.

It wasn't until very recently that I started to see a possible connection. I see it in others as well. I see many former, and current, religious believers attaching angel & demon mythology to the ufology debate.

This is what prompted me to ask the question. I don't claim that it applies to every former religious person. I don't even know for certain that it applies to me.
edit on 18000000pm11America/Chicagopm1433America/Chicago by duaneology because: typo

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

The only way I see that God can be real is if that God is a far advanced alien species that seeded life on Earth.

Isn't that what it says in religious texts?

A mighty, brilliant race of Gods, created us in their image and seeded us on this planet as an experiment that went awry when one of the Gods became jealous and sabotaged the whole plan.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I went the other way. Raised secular protestant with one atheist and one who was believing in spiritual things. Was not a believer of spiritual things but was changed opinion from experience of the supernatural/extra dimensional.

Now I play around with chi/light/kundalini and low level Reiki (I am really a newbi at it) and meditation.

From my point of view science and the spiritual meet at a certain point and are both on the same journey to quantify the unknown.

I also agree with the statement that religion is for those who are afraid of suffering, spirituality is for those who have already experienced the suffering.

I do not think the higher leveled beings are illogical as they are sometimes portrayed as in some human religions. I think the fault the lack of logic is humans not being able to understand the level of logic these beings have with the level of awareness the writers had.

Do not see much problem with logic in Sikhism, Buddhism or Jainism.
edit on 18-11-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I changed the title because I felt that it wasn't inclusive of the opinions of all.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Annunaki gold slaves created thru genetic manipulation?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

How many of you come from a religious background or are former "believers" in one form of mainstream religion or another?

Not me! My mom claimed baptist but my parents never
once took me thru the doors of a church, or pushed me
in any direction of religion nor any belief. They absolutely
left it up to me. By age ten, Jesus Christ was my hero and
has been ever since. And I've always carried a genuine happiness
right thru some of the worst times of my life. He's always there,
if things get really bad and they have. It is thru him, that the
bigger picture of what is going on in this world. And how my
life is so intimately involved can be seen. My testimony is
what he treasures and knowing that is just, probably the
biggest, most bestest, feeling of worth and direction I've
ever experienced. Holy roller? Bible thumper? Holier than
thou? No way! I'm sick with sin and a total hypocrite worthy
of my own disgust and would ultimately condemn my self.
As many do now days. But the fact that he loves me, makes
it ok to love myself. And I'll put the value of every worldly
kingdom aside for that. No comparison.

edit on Rpm111814v532014u56 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Militant atheist here raised by a Unitarian Universalist mother (who really liked it mostly for the socializing) and a Spiritualist father (really!)

I have no need to figure out or even know 'what created the universe'; I figure that's way above a human brain pay grade. I think 'Jesus died for your sins' is an obscenity; that an all-knowing, loving father figure would impregnate a virgin knowing that the child to be born would grow up to be tortured and murdered to 'pay for' humanity's unlimited sin count going off into eternity could only have been dreamed up by a grandiose psychotic. 'Believing it' means you've been brainwashed from childhood and have lost all capacity to think rationally, and I feel sorry for you. Strip away the pretty Christmas carols and the sweet stories and you're left with horror, pure and simple.

I do however, feel it's obvious that the universe is teeming with life, and that at least some of them are in the neighborhood and managed to survive their own technological age long enough to figure out how to travel the stars. We'll be real lucky if they're not all Borgs.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

If God doesn't exist then who is really the horror?

It is you and I. Put that in your book of facts.

edit on Rpm111814v052014u48 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Annunaki gold slaves created thru genetic manipulation?

If my existence is the result of some alien agenda to mine gold I'm okay with that. My life is good. I had a great childhood, I have a family I love to death, I've never gone naked or hungry.

Either some forms of slavery are just fine or your theory needs some work :p

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Didn't grow up religious. Dabbled some along the way. But, I will say that The Book of Enoch hit me like a ton of bricks when extrapolated with other histories and theories (IDH for instance.)

And I do happen to believe we are the creation of a higher power (NOT aliens,) so...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If there is something you are missing, a "hole in your chest," then perhaps you have touched upon a greater human need, part of the internal structure of a healthy human.

Here is my take, and this is the first time I'm trying to express it, so please forgive me if the words are in any way incomplete or awkward:

In the terms of the ancient Greeks - all things come from the Monad, the "stable oneness." The circle represents this shape, and holds within it all things. This ancient geometrical philosophy holds a great truth. Apply some basic Set Theory and allow for a circle to be infinite (the Unbounded Whole?) and you have the possibility of a greater Oneness to which we all belong - circles of sets within circles of sets within the Great Infinite Whole.

IF (and this theory is unproven) something like the Holographic Theory of the Universe is in play, then not only are we encompassed ultimately by the "Source of All Form" (the Greek idea of the circle again), we, in our small selves, are also a Circle in essence - the whole lies within each part. We are intimately and completely connected to this Whole.

But then we try on our human perceptions, emotions and failings, and box this Wholeness which we intuitively long for into structures: cathedrals, temples, statues, doctrines, etc., that only touch the numinous, and can never fully encompass it. At best our structures can attempt to hold a mirror to it and reflect the Wholeness within, at worst, they corrupt it entirely, and in any case, the box that surrounds is not the Whole itself, for the Circle holds all shapes and all forms and cannot Itself be contained.

If there is a hole in your chest, could it be in the shape of a Circle? Perhaps you seek communion with Wholeness and are trying to find the right shape of it? If that is the case, it is already resonating inside you and has never been outside at all (ETA - technically it is both without and within, but the key to finding it is ultimately within...) Perhaps you will find a Whole in your chest, instead.

Food for thought, only - I have no interest in convincing you of anything or getting into a big discussion over it.

Now, as to UFOlogy, it requires no belief on my part. I saw something and I am curious as to what it is - that leads to exploration of what is a very strange and elusive phenomenon. Perhaps some would like this to take the place of religion, to turn it into another Box to put the sought-after Wholeness into, but for myself, not so much. I seek the truth in order to expand my sense of the Whole - to better understand the nature of reality, and thus to better reflect within myself that Wholeness...

I hope that makes somewhat of sense. If not...*shrugs*

peace (and I truly wish you that),
AB
edit on 18-11-2014 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join