It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School replaces 'Hall of Heroes' murals honoring Mother Teresa and replaces it with Oprah and othe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight
Wow. I believe the words I'm looking for here are ignorant, and disrespectful.

Really?

To who? Or whom? (Can never get those 2 straight)

link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Now some REAL modern heroes might be Malala Yousafzai. The young Pakistani girl who bravely defied sharia law and suffered greatly for it, and even after a tragedy, is still determined to learn.

Maybe Vasili Arkhipov, the Russian sub-commander who single-handedly saved the world by refusing a launch order of ICBMs.

YES!!
Now we're talking

I admired and still do the young lady that defied Sharia Law and all that it stands for

Now SHE is a true Inspiration!!

link   
from a political only perspective,

i would think Obama would be on the "Wall of Failure".

that's what he will be remembered for most.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: Grovit

What are some examples of heroes in your mind, then? I'm genuinely curious.

there are no examples....
i have people that i personally think are awesome or people that were awesome...people that did amazing things...
heroes though...nah

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

So, take down historical figures, and put up some "heroes". Oprah is a hero? She's a talk show host. There's nothing heroic about being a famous talk show host, unless not being able to decide which Ferrari you drove to work is somehow heroic.

It's a job. People have jobs. Just because someone's job is in entertainment or a public field makes them less of a person? Really??

What's your job?

I suggest you research Oprah, and learn all that she's done besides the little you know.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

how does making a flag make you a hero?
i think others on that list have done far more than betsy ross but i still wouldnt call any of them a hero

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Now some REAL modern heroes might be Malala Yousafzai. The young Pakistani girl who bravely defied sharia law and suffered greatly for it, and even after a tragedy, is still determined to learn.

Maybe Vasili Arkhipov, the Russian sub-commander who single-handedly saved the world by refusing a launch order of ICBMs.

YES!!
Now we're talking

I admired and still do the young lady that defied Sharia Law and all that it stands for

Now SHE is a true Inspiration!!

I think every picture of Malala should include her father standing behind her.

With Malala, its how's she's handled herself after the incident. That is a result of great parenting.

edit on 14-11-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It depends on how we want to inspire our children. Obama is a proven liar. I wouldn't put him up there with likes of Ghandi or Mother Therese who inspired with their love and light.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I don't see anything heroic about several of the people. If you know the truth about Mother Teresa, she's appalling not heroic and Oprah is running a self-worship cult. Now that I think about it, Oprah is an updated version of Mother Teresa. The use of the word "Heroes" is the problem. Of those listed, only Gandhi is a real hero. I say repaint it again and go directly to basketball players, Beyonce, and the Kardashians. Optionally, leave only Oprah. She's got an ego big enough for an entire mural.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
It depends on how we want to inspire our children. Obama is a proven liar. I wouldn't put him up there with likes of Ghandi or Mother Therese who inspired with their love and light.

People should be allowed to make up their own minds about Obama. Kids don't need your slanted opinion.

No matter what, he is a historical figure, and an inspiration ---- especially to kids of mixed race.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
from a political only perspective,

i would think Obama would be on the "Wall of Failure".

that's what he will be remembered for most.

Good for you...but as an inspirational tool, does the hallway not present the message that anyone can do great things if they work hard enough? Is that not the relevant message going to the kids? I'm sure there's a hallway somewhere for those who to prefer to do nothing but snipe about Obama...thing is, nobody cares where it is.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I'm well aware of what Oprah does aside from her talk-show work. I am well aware of her celebrity in the philanthropic world. You seem to be making several assumptions about me. That's disappointing.

1: I never said these people were "less than people " in any way, shape or form. I merely suggested they may not deserve a place on a "hero" wall. Although Oprah has several humanitarian trophies to boast, most folks only see what's on the surface, IE: the celebrity. There are DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of people who have contributed more to humanitarian efforts, and do not seek the public eye.

2: What I do for a living is none of your concern. Especially when you ask in such a disrespectful way.

3: There are people a LOT more deserving of a place on that wall than Oprah. I named two in my post on page 1. Can you think of any? I'm curious to hear your suggestions.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
Of those listed, only Gandhi is a real hero.

Really? Have you done any indepth research on Ghandi?

Here's a true story about Mother Teresa. Personal story, you won't find on the Internet.

At a fundraiser in DC for her orphanage. It was one of those $1000 plate dinners. She made them give her the money that dinner would have cost and served them a slice of bread instead. She was a force to be reckoned with.

link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

That would be the Obama "Hall of Shame" ?

Obama on school murals with successful people will lead to future finger pointing and snickering.

It's a classic oxymoron.

link   

originally posted by: Night Star
It depends on how we want to inspire our children. Obama is a proven liar.

Kids will make up their own minds on these things in time. And they will pick their own heroes. My parents weren't too happy with mine. Carlin took on the establishment and won. I can't think of a better soldier for the 1st Amendment in my time.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Were it up to me I would hang a mirror and call it the Hall of heroes.
Those other people have had their day in the sun and each person must find their own way in the world.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I'm well aware of what Oprah does aside from her talk-show work. I am well aware of her celebrity in the philanthropic world. You seem to be making several assumptions about me. That's disappointing.

Gee, I can't imagine why I'd make "assumptions" on your original post.

Oprah IS a hero, because she inspires.

Tell me. Who was there before Oprah that, through media which goes into millions of homes, was a strong independent single black woman inspiring generations of young black girls? (All girls/women of ambition and strong independence).

edit on 14-11-2014 by Annee because: SPELLING

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Rosa Parks. The woman who was painted over in order put Oprah up there. She didn't reach millions of homes via television, but she sure as hell inspired generations of not only black WOMEN, but also MEN to fight for equal rights.

Next question?
edit on 14-11-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: Clarification

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No he won't. Like it or not, he will be remembered the most for being the first black President.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Tell me. Who was there before Oprah that, through media which goes into millions of homes, was a strong independent single black woman inspiring generations of young black girls? (All girls/women of ambition and string independence).

Oh nobody I guess, except;
Billie Holiday
Lena Horne
Martha Reeves
Diahann Carrol
Koko Taylor
Diana Ross
Nichelle Nichols
Ella Fitzgerald
Etc Etc.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>