It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School replaces 'Hall of Heroes' murals honoring Mother Teresa and replaces it with Oprah and othe

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
St. Oprah ... take away her money and see what is left.

Good thing she was born with that money, and did nothing to earn it.

Oh, right! It's all because she just fell randomly into TV host job.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Earning money and TV host - that's funny. What would the world or country be without these great persons serving mankind.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Earning money and TV host - that's funny. What would the world or country be without these great persons serving mankind.
You seem to forget that she is committed to doing good things with her dough...moreso than most of the folks in her snack-bracket. That makes her a role model.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is a reply to: snarky412

This isn't surprising. I'm surprised it even made an uproar. Idiots will be idiots, which unfortunately means the ones with half a brain are in a vast minority...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

You seem to forget that she is committed to doing good things with her dough...moreso than most of the folks in her snack-bracket. That makes her a role model.

I wonder how much of the money she's invested in good-doing would otherwise be paid in taxes?

You realize, don't you, that everything she gave away through her TV show was a tax write-off, right?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
One man's celebrity is another man's hero.

I hear what you're saying, but the new "heroes" are valid, IMO. Someone the kids can relate to. At least it's not Nikki Manaj and Kim Kardashian or football players. THEY'RE celebrities. J.K. Rowling (an author, not a celebrity), Oprah, Maya Angelou, Walt Disney and Barack Obama (a president, not a celebrity) have done some pretty spectacular things and the kids know who they are. I don't see a problem. Of course, some people will find it to be not politically correct and "offensive"...

By replacing the old images with the new, the message is sent that the new figures are of greater importance or impact on society and the world.

Oprah might have helped many people financially, but she is a celebrity, a character.

Obama might be the first black president, but that is a historical foot-note, it's not something Obama accomplished that benefits the country or society. Having a black president hasn't done anything to change the conditions of black people in this country unfortunately.

While I agree that many will just have a knee-jerk reaction to seeing Obama and Oprah on there, I truly feel it's a significant indication how how our values are really dropping. No longer is actual sacrifice and change something that we place value on, now it's just how popular you are in the media that determines your value to society. What exactly have Oprah and Obama sacrificed? What trials and tribulations have they gone through that are anything close to Ghandi? They haven't risked their lives to bring humanity to the starts as an astronaut does.

I find it incredibly depressing. It's nice to see that Americans are capable of electing someone that isn't white, but that's an accomplishment of the American people, not of Barack Obama.

I would have no issue if they ADDED Obama and Oprah, there would be nothing wrong with that. But REPLACING the other figures shows an extreme level if disrespect for the TRUE heroes and positive "movers and shakers" of the past and present.

The idea that children don't care about historical figures therefore we need to show them figures from pop-culture or modern politicians that haven't really accomplished anything seems flawed. Show them the importance of those historical figures, make it so that those people ARE relevant to these kids. I know it's hard, but good things usually are.

I have a feeling the issue of devaluing important and positive historical figures will be ignored as the issue is controlled into Obama haters vs Obama lovers rendering the whole subject a sad dead-end.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I consider Oprah an inspiration because what she overcame and because of all the people she has literally saved from horrible lives. Her television show helped millions of women get through some terrible stuff in their lives and feel that life is worth living. She isn't just a TV celebrity, she's pretty serious about helping others. If someone wants to consider that heroic, so what?

Oprah has saved people from horrible lives? What people? Oprah has helped millions of women get through some terrible stuff? Huh? You do know her show was entertainment, right? That wasn't her own personal money she spent. How do you know what happened to those women when the show ended? Guests on those shows (Oprah, Jerry Springer, etc.) are used like Kleenex--for the amusement of others--and then discarded when the camera stops rolling. They get two-way plane tickets and a night or two in a decent hotel in exchange for spilling their guts on camera. Oprah runs a damn self-worship cult that has convinced a bunch of very stupid (mostly) women to run out and buy Oprah's favorite brand of toilet paper. I don't see that as being in the best interest of anyone except Oprah.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join