It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoyed but I'll live...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
BS!!

All my life while watching a good show or movie on TV I had to sit through some crap commercial telling me my shampoo or deodorant was the wrong type or if I wanted to live an exciting lifestyle where the chicks were giddy with flirtation I had to drink this booze or that.

Then Al Gore invented the interwebs were invented and Google video, YouTube and others became my friends, all was well in my world, TV went by the wayside. While living alone as a bachelor I didn't bother getting cable or even a house phone, I had my cell and High speed interwebs.

But now, even there and everywhere else online so it seems while watching whatever those same old kill joys are back telling me my shirt isn't white enough or that I need this or that toothpaste to have pearly whites etc.

You know, I understand that people need to make a buck, and that many commercials can be bypassed with the 'Skip video' feature but it's just so damned annoying sometimes.

Still way better than it used to be while I grew up. We had a knob that needed to be changed manually, and for that I am grateful. This younger generation though get's me snickering. My son when he was about 4 or 5 wanted me to change the channel and asked if he could, I said sure, He stood up and walked around the living room then sat down in frustration, I asked why he didn't change the channel. He said he couldn't find the remote.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I do my best not to watch commercials any more. I have a pause button on the remote and when a program comes on, I pause it for the first 15 - 20 minutes. That way, when they do come on, I can just fast forward through them. If I don't do that, I mute the TV and use that time to go to the bathroom, get a drink, take a walk around the house, Anything but watch those damn commercials. My kids panic when the batteries go dead on the remote, you'd think the whole system was down. And God Help Us All if we've ran out of batteries.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I remember early 80s my dad came home with a vcr a feckin beatmax sanyo vtc5000 (dad love you to bits but cant forgive ya for a betamax)it came with a remote never saw one before,trouble was it came with a lead that was about 2foot long you still had to go to the video to mess about with the tracking modern tec pfft

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You can always use a browser attachment to block ads. I find it works on most ads, but some get through. If you do download an advertisement blocker, be sure to switch it off on ATS though. It's against the t&c's.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Ads on ATS?

Once upon a time when the top 50 list existed, some of us more active members didn't see ads but not anymore.

Now, those days ARE missed.

I don't use any ad blockers. Just another thing to run in the background sucking up memory.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I live in the boonies so, I don't have the fastest internet to say the least. We can't get any of the main providers to come out this far so, we're stuck with local services.

It's not completely terrible and I'm grateful for what we have but, those stupid video advertisements slow down the connection like crazy! It's so frustrating!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
i gave up on tv more than a decade ago, there was just no point to it.
as for commercials on internet, well there is Ad block.
I know it pays content creators and i try to remember to disable it on the channels i am subscribed to.
but there is no point in advertising that is in a different language and often is not based around my needs.
i get car commercials as well as tampon commercials, the first i already have, the second i have no use for.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: daaskapital

I don't use any ad blockers. Just another thing to run in the background sucking up memory.

Odd because for me a million separate things loading all over the place slow my computer down more than something like an ad blocker would. Old computer on a slow connection. I let ATS through, but some of these ads are ridiculously annoying..

I also have a rule. If I see an ad I will not buy that thing. It's fun
edit on 30-10-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

I kill all nonessential back aps.

Have for years, Machine runs as smooth as silk.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I get really annoyed at video ads as I often have about 10 tabs open at once and I get angry trying to find out wich page is talking.

When I watch youtube I often have to stop myself getting angry by reminding myself that someone has gone to the trouble of making a video I am interested in so they deserve something back and that also waiting an extra 5 seconds to skip the ad is not all that bad.

I am starting my own youtube channel soon and am thinking about putting the advert at the end and asking viewers to leave it running if they enjoyed the video and skip it if not.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I kill all nonessential back aps.

Have for years, Machine runs as smooth as silk.

Mine too but some things actually make things work faster. depends on what your bottleneck is.
edit on 30-10-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I am starting my own youtube channel soon and am thinking about putting the advert at the end and asking viewers to leave it running if they enjoyed the video and skip it if not.

I like that!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Not all running back apps are compatible with each other or with what one is trying to view, watch, play or run.

Killing them prevents hidden conflicts *The occasional freezing, lockups etc.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I do the exact same things! Either wait for the DVR to record for 20 mins or mute and rewind just to avoid the commercials!

commercials can be bypassed with the 'Skip video' feature but it's just so damned annoying sometimes.

I love the Skip Video option, but when I have a video playlist going while I'm washing dishes or something, it's really annoying having the commercials cut in all loud. Not to mention hearing the same commercial repeatedly for weeks at a time! At least Hulu adjusts the volume so when the commercials come on they're at a quarter of the volume.

Commercials never used to be bother me, but I think that my patience for them went out the window when Facebook started inserting them into the newsfeed and random websites began this new trend of autoplaying them. I can no longer keep my computer speakers on because you never know what site will have that annoying autoplay video off to the side that you can't find or stop.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I hear what you're saying but it's worth it,

I watch football online and you sometimes get a ad pops up and you have to look for the x to turn it off, now this f**ks me off as its so hard sometimes to find the dam thing, which is what they want.

Nothing like a good rant

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: KROandSOTV

I remember early 80s my dad came home with a vcr a feckin beatmax sanyo vtc5000 (dad love you to bits but cant forgive ya for a betamax)it came with a remote never saw one before,trouble was it came with a lead that was about 2foot long you still had to go to the video to mess about with the tracking modern tec pfft

I loved my beta machine!
The remote plugged into the front with a 10 foot cord. Lol
Best vcr I ever owned.
But on topic, yeah. Commercials are everywhere.
At least using tivo you can skip them. But I refuse to pay for something my beta did for free. (Record)
That's another rant there, why do I have to pay to record the broadcast I paid to receive?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: RayVon

I hate it when we are all comfy watching movies on some sites and then we get this loud commercial that pops up and startles the crap out of us.

Using a flat widescreen TV as a monitor with sound hooked to a home theater is the only way to fly.

edit on 30-10-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You all know what doesn't have commercials??? BOOKS!

I too hate how advertisement has taken over the internet. I agree that anyone who wants to enjoy the internet should be running ABP and Ghostery. It's like a completely different, and pleasant internet.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
You all know what doesn't have commercials??? BOOKS!

I too hate how advertisement has taken over the internet. I agree that anyone who wants to enjoy the internet should be running ABP and Ghostery. It's like a completely different, and pleasant internet.

Actually most books have a few pages advertising other books by the author so....

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Man, I just remembered when I was the last time over in the USA - late 80's, I think.

I was surprised of the sheer AMOUNT of ads in the tv. Every 5 or 10 or 15 minutes - which was unthinkable for our tv. Then, I have to say.

Nowadays there are those small, pesky overlay-ads running ALONG the movies, and the time between ads were decreasing, too - we have about 15 to 20 minutes between each commercial break.

Yeah, its a pest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join