It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shingles vaccine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am not sure but this sounds like a scam to me.

Help prevent Shingles with ZOSTAVAX (Zoster Vaccine Live), the Shingles vaccine.

ZOSTAVAX ("ZOS-tah-vax") is not a treatment for Shingles—it's a vaccine you can get now to help reduce your risk of getting Shingles in the future. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that appropriate adults 60 or older get vaccinated to help prevent Shingles.

www.zostavax.com...

Says help prevent, no guarantee. No guarantee it will show up either. If you already had chickenpox you may get shingles.

If you had chickenpox you already have antibodies. You can always produce those antibodies once you have them.

Antibodies as a part of the immune system

Once the B lymphocytes have produced antibodies, these antibodies continue to exist in a person’s body. If the same antigen is presented to the immune system again, the antibodies are already there to do their job. This principle forms the basis of immunizations. The immunization introduces the body to the antigen in a way that does not make a person sick, but it does allow the body to produce antibodies that will then protect that person from future attack.

Above statement From a company that makes vaccines. www.morphosys.com...

That company selling vaccine for shingles says on it's commercial selling the vaccine that your immune system can get weaker with age and it can show up.

What is a vaccine? And how would it work?

Most vaccines contain a little bit of a disease germ that is weak or dead. Vaccines do NOT contain the type of germ that makes you sick. Some vaccines do not contain any germs.
Having this little bit of the germ inside your body makes your body's defense system build antibodies to fight off this kind of germ. Antibodies help trap and kill germs that could lead to disease.
Your body can make antibodies in two ways: by getting the disease or by getting the vaccine. Getting the vaccine is a much safer way to make antibodies without having the suffering of the disease itself and the risk of becoming disabled or even dying.

So the vaccine helps you make antibodies your body already know how to make? But the advertiser for the vaccine say you immune system get weaker so this is how it shows up.

So if a vaccine would only help a body learn to produce antibody's and you already know how. Exactly what does the vaccine do that your body is not already capable of?

So to me giving a vaccine to make antibodies you already have for something you may or may not get that does not guarantee you wont get it.

Tell me what use is that? I do not get this. it doe not make any sense to pay for something you may not get, that may not work, that you body already produces.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Anyone who has had chicken pox carries the Herpes Zoster virus and it can flare at any time. I had an outbreak when I was in my twenties and it was one of the most painful things I ever lived through. It's like being on fire.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Agree completely. Vitamin B-12 is the best way to prevent AND treat shingles. If only I had known that BEFORE I got it. It's a HORRIBLE thing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (well... maybe), but it's not something that I would take a pharmaceutical "vaccine" for. It's a scam.

Vitamin B-12 for Shingles

If you're over 60, chances are you've heard the spiel plenty. Yes, the CDC recommends everyone over 60 to get it. Yes, they say it cuts your shingles risk by about 55 percent.

But no, I don't think you should get it. Here's why...

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I get that, but that was not the point. a reply to: Hefficide

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I don't understand it either. I also don't get why they are pushing chicken pox vaccines either. I remember when my sister got it, my mom made me rub all over her to get it too and be done with it. Once you have it once, you are pretty much guaranteed to be forever immune. A vaccine doesn't guarantee.

Pain is so short lived. I'd rather lessen the amount of toxins in my body and go through the pain of POSSIBLY having it a week. I think most people are just plain wussy today. I went through three days of labor and had a natural birth. That's pretty intense pain, but i would do it over again ten times. Fear makes people think they are in pain.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yes and one you have the antibodies already. What does the vaccine actually do? a reply to: fictitious

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

actually it was an answer......you carry the Herpes Zoster virus within your muscles IIRC and due to this you can flare at any time, not just as a over 60 something. A flare can cause Opthmalogical Shingles, or what you may be more used to hearing about Shingle outbreaks just on the skin.

Either way Shingles causes all of your nerve endings to be on fire. It takes 6 months -18 months for the flare to clear up, but can leave permanent nerve damage.

There are only a few antivirals for this and there is NO guarantee you will respond to them.

The vaccine "can" keep you from having flares, or viral meds.
reduce the severity.....IE less chance of permeant nerve damage.

BTW....when you have shingles sunlight exacerbates it, so get used to being a shut in!

Shingles isn't just an old persons disease....the Opthamological Type hits people in their early 40's and like Heff said hit him in his 20's.

I understand you are just asking and getting a handle on the vaccine, but this topic is kinda important to me. I lost an eye to the Opthamological Shingles. Turns out they mean it when they say you have a 50/50 chance of responding to the antivirals.

Once you have your first episode of Shingles chances are you will get it again with increasing severity.

Weigh this against taking a vaccine.

I don't know that had there been a vaccine when I was younger that I'd of taken the opportunity, but it wasn't available in 2004.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ooooo have I mentioned there are few pain meds that address chronic nerve pain???

People are just up a creek without a paddle.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Vaccines are essentially hacks of the immune system to get antibodies to appear in large quantities your system. That's pretty much it. No guarantee that the anti-bodies will stop you from getting sick. There is a real risk of side effects. It's fact that there are a number of mechanisms of damage when a vaccine works as designed.

The function of the human immune system in it's natural, holistic state, is discounted even ignored. PLease don't make that mistake. The truth is that the immune system contains 3 or more separate sub-systems that work in concert to get the outcome == alive & able to reproduce. It's a fine tuned machine developed over 200 million+ years of trial and error.

Medical science has about 200 years of experimentation under its belt. Corporations don't care about health. They are just selling the narrative. When you start digging beneath the surface of the "vaccine business" you'll know better than to put your faith in it.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I had chicken pox as a kid. Got shingles on my but about 5 years ago. Extremely painful. I think I even somehow passed it on to my wife years later.

As for the rest of the op tldr

Oh and I thought the point of vaccines was to develop anti bodies and T cells remember them for a very long time stashed away in your bones. Then when the virus comes again they are like, "oh I remember that guy," and they make a ton of antibodies.
edit on 27-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My daughter got shingles at the age of 16. She was exposed by her grandfather was visiting who had the shingles. Later I contacted the shingles although Our Dr insisted that shingles was not transmitted from person to person.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: RunForTheHills
My daughter got shingles at the age of 16. She was exposed by her grandfather was visiting who had the shingles. Later I contacted the shingles although Our Dr insisted that shingles was not transmitted from person to person.

I actually think I got mine from swimming in a public pool full of hood rats

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
But if you already have antibodies and they aren't reproducing in numbers why would a vaccine make you produce more antibodies that you already have that your body isn't already. The vaccine is not antibodies it only triggers them. Which the disease should do by itself. If some how they we offering antibodies instead of a trigger which has already happened in the past. sounds like it would have no effect and you should just boost your immune system instead.a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've always found it odd that no matter the age group, young or very old, I've come across substantially more people who've never heard of so much as the name Shingles (aside from the kind on a roof) or have never heard of anything doing what it does. Did I live in a little pocket of the south where it didn't really flare for many or did it just not have much of a media prevalence before now??

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
But if you already have antibodies and they aren't reproducing in numbers why would a vaccine make you produce more antibodies that you already have that your body isn't already. The vaccine is not antibodies it only triggers them. Which the disease should do by itself. If some how they we offering antibodies instead of a trigger which has already happened in the past. sounds like it would have no effect and you should just boost your immune system instead.a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

A vaccine isn't meant to up your antibody count because like you pointed out that is short lived. A T cell has to play around for a while before they figure out the best way to handle a virus. Once they figure it out they leave copies in the bone. Then they can quickly identify the virus next time and mass produce what works best. At least that's my understanding

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
But if you already had chickenpox you already have the antibodies that is my point. So what would a vaccine do at that time?a reply to: nukedog

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

But if you already had chickenpox you already have the antibodies that is my point. So what would a vaccine do at that time?a reply to: nukedog

Yeah I don't really understand it either. I always heard that shingles has something to do with sub dermal strep and that if you had chicken pox you are more likely to get it. Idk

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I wonder what having autoimmune and a messed up immune system means for getting shingles. I've looked for this info previously and can't find anything substantial on it.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So a new set of identical antibodies that already exist in your body, ( would not happen that is redundant ) would be of no use?a reply to: nukedog

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

So a new set of identical antibodies that already exist in your body, ( would not happen that is redundant ) would be of no use?a reply to: nukedog

That's correct but I guess they figured out something. I don't fully understand the shingles thing. I doubt it's a gimmick though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join