It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Don Young (R) AK digs deeper, blames suicide on public benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
When Don Young speaks people should pay attention :

In his high school appearance, the Republican congressman used “salty language,” told a story “that involved flying to Paris to get drunk,” compared marriage equality to “bull sex,” and said the boy who committed suicide must have lacked support from his friends and family.

Asked about the “lack of support” comment, Young expanded on it and added that suicide in Alaska didn’t exist before “government largesse” gave residents an entitlement mentality, according to an audio recording of his senior center appearance. According to the audio recording made available to the Alaska Dispatch News, the state’s largest newspaper, the congressman told voters yesterday, “When people had to work and had to provide and had to keep warm by putting participation in cutting wood and catching the fish and killing the animals, we didn’t have the suicide problem.” Suicide comes from federal government largesse “saying you are not worth anything but you are going to get something for nothing,” he added.

source

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm thinking that that congressman is a little off tilt. I think they should get rid of people like that in congress. No evidence at all to back his claims. I can see changes in food chemistry or environmental toxins causing these issues, even some changes in the attitudes of people. I can see problems with changes in the way we raise our kids. But what he is saying is not even logical.

Forgot again.......I'm not supposed to be picking on handicapped people, Politicians not being able to think logically is a handicap.
edit on 23-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Don Young is apparently mentally handicapped.

Suicide has been around for as long as there have been people, and it used to be hushed up, and the doctors would falsify the death certificates in order to keep the family from being shamed.

Although hard work is good, he needs to ask himself why Alaska has the highest rate of alcoholism in the country. Pretty sure there are lots of murder / suicides in the dead of winter up there. I guess they were just "trying to stay warm" and it somehow got out of control...

Yeah, I know, first amendment and all that, but that doesn't mean that what he says is gospel. It's garbage.
edit on 23-10-2014 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2014 by FissionSurplus because: clumsy typing!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Have you seen his latest TV ad? He say something about still believing in the "call of the wild" and ends with some seriously concerning "crazy eyes". My girlfriend said, "great, now I'll be having nightmares..."

We're not talking just a little bit off, but full-on "cray-cray, no one's home, I just escaped the hospital" eyes.

He's the longest serving Republican congressman, but has absolutely no political power (stripped by his own party) -- but will magically get re-elected.

He could be crazier than a loon and as rude as he wanted to be, if he actually had political clout. In this case, it's almost as if Alaskans enjoy the comedy of errors from this guy. It's almost cruel in a way, to allow him to keep embarrassing himself.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Well according to Business Insider:

States with the highest percentage of resident age 12 or older who are dependent on or abuse alcohol:

1. Montana (9.86%)

2. South Dakota (9.79%)

3. Minnesota (9.21%)

4. Colorado (9.03%)

5. New Mexico (8.68%)

www.businessinsider.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Business Insider

So, Alaska doesn't actually have the highest rates of alcoholism....

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

A little off tilt? They all are. They "govern" us, don't follow the laws they pass and barely even interact in the society they preside over.

A politician speaking about real-life issues is a joke.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
When Don Young speaks people should pay attention :

In his high school appearance, the Republican congressman used “salty language,” told a story “that involved flying to Paris to get drunk,” compared marriage equality to “bull sex,” and said the boy who committed suicide must have lacked support from his friends and family.

Asked about the “lack of support” comment, Young expanded on it and added that suicide in Alaska didn’t exist before “government largesse” gave residents an entitlement mentality, according to an audio recording of his senior center appearance. According to the audio recording made available to the Alaska Dispatch News, the state’s largest newspaper, the congressman told voters yesterday, “When people had to work and had to provide and had to keep warm by putting participation in cutting wood and catching the fish and killing the animals, we didn’t have the suicide problem.” Suicide comes from federal government largesse “saying you are not worth anything but you are going to get something for nothing,” he added.

source

How does he account for PTSD??? Just curious? Severe depression often accompanies PTSD, and sometimes suicide attempts accompany that. I had blocked major trauma from my myself, unknowingly, when I was 9. By age 13 when I began getting flashbacks and no one in my family would talk about it, I thought I was going crazy like my birth mother. (She's paranoid schizophrenic.) After spending 5 years with her, I refused to become her. Burning in hell was better than that, so yes, I attempted it. To this day, 30 years later, no one in my family knows. I got help for it 4 years later when my father and stepmother were going through a separation. There are times when I struggle and I get help again, but I refuse to attempt suicide again. Ever. PTSD is a special kind of hell, let me tell you.

top topics

join