It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient UFO Depiction Discovered in Romanian Monastery Painting?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Intriguing new find for you ancient astronaut enthusiasts! A picture of a painting in the Biserica Manastirii (Church of the Dominican Monastery), in Sighisoara, Romania, depicts a mysterious flying disc, poised above a building. From Message to Eagle (via Obscuragator):

According to Gilli Schechter and Hannan Sabat of the Israeli Extraterrestrials and UFOs Research Organization (EURA), they received a picture of the painting from Catalina Borta who took the photograph while visiting the monastery.

It also has a caption in German that reads "Israel, hoffe auf den HERRN," which translated means "Israel, put your hope in the Lord."

EURA explains that this is a quote from Psalms song of ascents, c.130 v.7.

The age of the painting is unknown, but monastery was originally built in the 14th century. It was later destroyed and rebuilt in the 17th century.

The EURA says that the caption in the painting probably dates it to after 1523, when the bible was translated into German.

It also appears to either be at the end of a fiery trail or to perhaps have a pillar of light emanating from the "top." Looking at the image, it's difficult to imagine what the painting could be depicting if not a spacecraft!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
My first thought was Exodus 13...

20 So they took their journey from Succoth and camped in Etham at the edge of the wilderness. 21 And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night. 22 He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people.

...but the design of the object is clearly not amorphus. Though I suppose it could be the artists idea of how it might have looked to the Israelites.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Okay, now that's downright hard to explain any other way...

is the building supposed to be on fire, or is that chipped paint?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It does seem to be a constant. Throughout history.

Something that was on humankind's mind since the beginning of time.

Are we alone?

CdT

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Could be depicting a fire ball. I've seen one and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed, an act of god even crossed my mind at first and I don't believe in the supernatural. Can just imagine what they would have thought after witnessing one in those days.

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

There are a couple of similar examples of supposedly Ezekiels chariot seen on French coins of the 17th century as seen here, but there is also suggestion it was a Roman motif , in general though it seems to suggest the Heavens opening like a flower.

edit on Kpm1031291vAmerica/ChicagoSunday1931 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

If you look here with regards to an image search on the motto opportunus adest, there are plenty of examples, it means 'the timing is opportune'

The legend this would be based on;

In the eighth year of Numa's reign an epidemic
raged throughout Italy, and afflicted the city of Rome. Now amidst the general distress it is related that a brazen shield fell from heaven
into the hands of Numa. Upon this the king made an inspired speech,which he had learned from Egeria and the Muses. The shield, he said,
came for the salvation of the city, and they must guard it, and make eleven more like it, so that no thief could steal the one that fell from
heaven, because he could not tell which it was.

Moreover the place and the meadows round about it, where he was wont to converse with the Muses, must be consecrated to them, and the well by which it was watered must be pointed out as holy water to the vestal virgins, that they might daily take some thence to purify and sprinkle their temple. The truth of this is said to have been proved by the immediate cessation of the plague.

He bade workmen compete in imitating the shield, and, when all others refused to attempt it, Veturius Mamurius, one of the best workmen of the time, produced so admirable an imitation, and made all the shields so exactly alike, that even Numa himself could not tell which was the original. He next appointed the Salii to guard and keep them.

So the French coins show that shield with the floral design on it.
edit on Kpm1031291vAmerica/ChicagoSunday1931 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
One of those pictures that needs a time machine to understand.

Good catch

As i have nothing else to ad, i will post the salm to listen to.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Looking at the image, it's difficult to imagine what the painting could be depicting if not a spacecraft!
But with some understanding of mythology it is not so difficult. It is a representation of a mythical Roman shield which, in the middle ages, took on the ability to offer protection from lightning. Looks like a pretty stormy sky there.

The representation is seen elsewhere.
translate.google.com...

I see that this has already been covered.

edit on 10/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

lol Most of those monasteries are pretty old, some have been painted and repainted over and over countless times, some have even deteriorated or were burned and then rebuilt more then a few times. I think they upkeep those places and paintings over time even the colors on them wears out and they re color them, and the paintings inside, and yes sometimes they even add things there that were never there before. I have been to a few of those monasteries in Romania and even in Greece, and not because I wanted to, such things do not interest me, but my parents and my cousins being Romanian when we visiting liked to go there on a few of our trips back to the motherland.

Like I said I wold not put any stock in any of it, for all you know some monk probably just added that in there because he thought it would be cool or would draw attention. Besides it could just be a really bad cloud drawing. And besides that these flying saucers are so old school and outdated, I believe the triangle ones are in now and the cool thing to do, the whole flying disk is so last month.

But hey people see what they want to see, however I do not think even if extra terrestrial life existed that they would want to come here to this planet, I sure as hell wouldn't this place while cool for a while basically just sucks. And those that did want to come and would be those on the same wavelength of humanity? Well, lets just say that would not be such a great thing, as people would think it would be.
edit on 5pmSundaypm192014f0pmSun, 19 Oct 2014 17:31:51 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You really see a shield in that painting? Funny coming from someone who is eager to (rightfully) call a rock a rock,when in this instance, it appears to be you who is seeing things...

I would argue that seeing the draftsmanship exhibited in the architecture in the painting, the artist responsible would have succeeded a little bit better in depicting a shield, rather than ending with something that appears to be a rendering of an object previously unknown to the artists, and perhaps even unseen by him.

A shield would be easy to paint, there was reference available, a real shield for example. However, depicting what others accounted, or even what one saw for a brief instance, is a lot harder, and a lot more likely to result in something like this, imo.

I like the theory and I know the mythology but on the other hand I have a hard time when it is all too easily assumed and accepted as common knowledge, when in fact, not many theories have actual solid foundations when it comes to what it all meant to the people that lived through those ages. We certainly didnt... So how can we be sure?

By the way, for all I know this could be a depiction of an event where a major building was hit by something from the sky, or something was witnessed, a comet or meteor, and was linked to this building for some reason. Im not saying aliens, far from it, but not all depictions of unknown objects throughout art history can be explained with "mythology", and besides, mythology is the "aliens" of the past, lest we forgot!
edit on 19-10-2014 by NoNameNeeded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NoNameNeeded

You really see a shield in that painting?
Yes. But I'm also aware of the mythology and other variations on the theme.

I would argue that seeing the draftsmanship exhibited in the architecture in the painting, the artist responsible would have succeeded a little bit better in depicting a shield, rather than ending with something that appears to be a rendering of an object previously unknown to the artists, and perhaps even unseen by him.
It's called "symbolism", not realism. It appears in a lot of medieval art and UFO enthusiasts are very fond of claiming that it represents ET.

You really see a spaceship in that painting?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I really would have liked the object to have been a UFO, but zooming in, it's a shield protecting the church from fire from the sky. You can see the handle clearly in the middle. So unless an eyewitness who was a damn good artist saw a UFO shaped coincidentally shaped like a shield, which anything is possible, but highly improbable in this case.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh please, you are going to tell ME about art styles? I know you to be an expert on many things and I respect that, but dont get arrogant in assuming that you now know more about art too, when I'd beg to differ

Can you please, phage, find me other examples where realism and symbolism are mixed in a similar matter as to this case? I'm finding your argument a bit... on the cheap side, if I may say. Why did the artist refuse to paint a shield that actually looked like a shield, and instead opted for something that would make illiterate folk at the time go "jeeh, whats that think over our church?"

Are you now assuming the average medieval peasant was an expert decrypter of symbolic images? When an artist capable of rendering finely detailed windows could as well just have painted a bloody shield?

And why do you showcase your refusing to even read my entire paragraph? I find it pathetic how you end your post with a question THAT WAS ANSWERED IN MY LAST PARAGRAPH

But please, do continue to drag down the positive image I had built up of you, being a know-all is only inspiring to me when you can actually back it up and in this case, you clearly cant.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Very interesting painting, initially I thought what else could it be other than some sort of craft. However on further analysis of the painting there seems to be a theme of destruction. Therefore I would see it as some sort of shield or protection that the artist has used to portray the protection from God upon those who are under his house of worship.
As said by the author of the article it is dated at around the time when the bible was translated into German. This was the time when the protestant reformation was in full swing and the date specified is a time when the catholic church was facing attacks due to the corruption of the Pope and clergy. Basically the church will be protected from these attacks from the unknown.

That or maybe it really is a craft of some kind coming to save the catholic church from the attacks and corruption through its ranks right to the to. (as you can see it all stems down to the catholic church being that of scum right through history, coming from a person raised as a catholic
)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
FURTHERMORE

why, if it IS a shield, does it not even protect HALF the building? Is it a shield that only served to protect the tv antenna of the local church??

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Also would like to ask is that a finger pushing the shield/craft down? I can make out the nail etc.

Can anyone else see a bird in the finger/or beam. I can see the two wings quite clearly. Or maybe a blemish on the painting?

hmmmm

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

I really would have liked the object to have been a UFO, but zooming in, it's a shield protecting the church from fire from the sky. You can see the handle clearly in the middle. So unless an eyewitness who was a damn good artist saw a UFO shaped coincidentally shaped like a shield, which anything is possible, but highly improbable in this case.

The artist did not have to have been an eyewitness himself, why would you think he should have been? He could have went with accounts from actual eyewitnesses, explaining why this is not an easily identifiable object (and no, in THIS painting i so not see any shield)

I do not support the theory that this is an alien ufo, i am suggesting it could be a plethore of things and assuming it is a symbolic representation of a shield is just too easy an explanation when there is NO EXPLANATION for why even a symbolic shield would be represented as something that... Doesn't resemble a shield.

Has anyone arguing this is a shield actually ever seen any medieval shields?
If this were a symbolic shield, it would be a shield in the shape of a metal casting with bumped edges and a complex design (with no function). I highly doubt this would be chosen over a simple design where medieval man would have no issue recognising it, when even I have in this instance

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

But with some understanding of mythology it is not so difficult. It is a representation of a mythical Roman shield which, in the middle ages, took on the ability to offer protection from lightning. Looks like a pretty stormy sky there.

is it meant to be protecting the building?

if so it doesn't seem to be working - looks like the building is on fire to me

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: aynock

originally posted by: Phage

is it meant to be protecting the building?

if so it doesn't seem to be working - looks like the building is on fire to me
But hey, at least the tv antenna didnt get hit!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

when there is NO EXPLANATION for why even a symbolic shield would be represented as something that... Doesn't resemble a shield.

www.google.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join