It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient UFO Depiction Discovered in Romanian Monastery Painting?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Can we at least agree the shield on the coin is a lot more obvious in terms of symbolic recognisability than the supposed one on the op painting is? I mean, the mere fact we're discussing this says enough, to you its a shield, to me its not, while we can both agree on the coin.

There simply is no backing to your theory that it is a shield, you admit that, or at least there is as little as there is to mine that it is the (misinterpreted) eyewitness report of a comet or something.

Sure it could be a symbolic representation, but in my experience, it's executed badly in that case, and does not convince me as a viewer of the symbolical meaning. Something which IS the case with the coin mind you.

But it is AS LIKELY that somewhere in history someone saw a natural event, maybe a whole bunch of people, possibly even with a major impact in the environment, and they had an artist paint this to have it as a reminder, to tell others, to document, heck little did they know even to have people in the 21th century discuss it, rather than simply assume "haha stupid medieval people thought shields would protect them from lighting!"
edit on 19-10-2014 by NoNameNeeded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NoNameNeeded

is that some kind of genie sitting on top holding up the clouds?

funbox

edit on 19-10-2014 by funbox because: genetic wolf fleas

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

is that some kind of genie sitting on top holding up the clouds?

The artist emphasized the numbers 6 and 12 in the segmentation of the saucer.
12 months in a year times 5 is 60 which was one of Eratosthenes favorite numbers.
Really not dramatic enough to make you have a Van Gogh moment and cut off your ear.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

and deprive myself of cauliflower soup ?

never

funbox

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It appears to me that the artist was attempting a realistic rendering of something from a more symbolic/representational/iconic format; in this case a shield he'd only seen on coins. There is no reason to assume the artist had access to an actual round, Roman-era shield to use for reference.

It does appear obvious to me that the same symbolism is being depicted here, as much as I would like it to have been a spaceship.
edit on 10/19/2014 by Teratoma because: reasons

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teratoma
It appears to me that the artist was attempting a realistic rendering of something from a more symbolic/representational/iconic format; in this case a shield he'd only seen on coins. There is no reason to assume the artist had access to an actual round, Roman-era shield to use for reference.

It does appear obvious to me that the same symbolism is being depicted here, as much as I would like it to have been a spaceship.

What? Did you even compare the painting to the coin? Why is the shield on the painting not circular in shape? It is on the coin, which you suggest the artist duplicated.. I disagree

And why would he not had have access to a shield for reference? If not an accurate one, any shield would do.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Possible Sun Dial as unlikely as it sounds?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Teratoma

IMO, the painting has many details that imply the artist is trying to depict a real event, either personally witnessed or told-to first hand...

Back then artists were one of the few ways to record unusual events ...

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teratoma

I'll readily agree that it bears a resemblance to a shield... but what does that mean?

There are a handful of jetons from the 17th century bearing the same motif. Everywhere you'll look for information on this, you'll find the same specimens. They'll be accompanied by text that says they are representations of one of a handful of things: Ezekiel's Wheel, a shield (specifically, a bronze shield given to Numa Pompilius, legendary second King of Rome, successor of Romulus, by Jupiter), a flower, or a UFO (alien spacecraft or other). Clearly the jetons with the same inscription — OPPORTVNVS ADEST ( "It is here at an opportune time") — depict the same thing.

It could very well be that the jetons and the painting all depict Numa's mythological shield falling to Earth (or a Christian adaptation) but then again, it might be something else entirely.

It's also plausible that it is intended to bear a resemblance to a shield AND its also a depiction of an event that is NOT mythological in nature.
edit on 2014-10-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Hi Phage Speaking of Symbolism ! that looks mighty Familiar

My Favorite A MAN? in Flight with Something With Wings

Tho The Feet do not Resemble a Bird tho... More like Landing type Gear

This is what you call Metaphor of what People don't understand nor can explain..

Like The Hebrew Base Christian Bible is Chuck full of Aliens and Space Craft

It Just Your Angel My Alien , Your Creator My Civilization Type Three Engineer ! Perspective
Goes along Mythology & Legends Tho Indian Ancient Sanskrit Writings do tell the Tale in Full Detail the best way they can describe it ...

Let Say Phage a Coin Pops up say 3,000 years in the future. And Humans, more less had to Restart Over from lost Technology from the Result of something major Atrocity Plague, or some Doomsday Event and only a few thousand of Humans were left to repopulate ! what ever the case may be.

And when they Discover ( the Coin ) What would they think the Coin Represents ! a Eagle with a Olive Branch Landing On the Moon ? When Man Had Landed on the Moon. in which seems impossible to them. as we of today know its a Metaphor. of the Lunar Lander Named Eagle landing on the moon. on a Susan B Anthony Dollar Coin .. but they wouldn't know that..

Who know it just Could be Some High Advanced Civilized Humans. Hidden from Modern Man.

We Been on this planet for 250,000+ years and Only Civilized it for only 6,000 years give or take ? and Only Advanced in Rapid Technology in 100+ years so what the HELL WERE WE DOING in the 243,000+ years ?? and Im Speaking Modern Man must of been some Game Change.. Unless we are those Aliens Watches Gods Deity's etc...

edit on 20-10-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz
Yes. Quite standardized symbolism.
sprezzatura.it...

And when they Discover ( the Coin ) What would they think the Coin Represents ! a Eagle with a Olive Branch Landing On the Moon ?
Maybe. But they would be wrong. We didn't have to restart though, did we. We know the actual history of the medieval period and its symbology. We know what the artists (who were not at the events they painted) are representing.

edit on 10/20/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Shield

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Yes. Quite standardized symbolism.
sprezzatura.it...

And when they Discover ( the Coin ) What would they think the Coin Represents ! a Eagle with a Olive Branch Landing On the Moon ?
Maybe. But they would be wrong. We didn't have to restart though, did we. We know the actual history of the medieval period and its symbology. We know what the artists (who were not at the events they painted) are representing.

OK...

just let me throw this out here

before the Term Flying Saucer came about !

what was Shown in the 1930s of Scifi Pulp Fiction
1930s

1920s

But wouldn't the claimed Shield in this Drawing in this Thread be the other way around ? of that's the case ?

But then again Fiery Shields in the Sky I Like Alexander the Great Version of his Story of two Shields Swooping Down at his Army tho there many version to that story and still in debate where the source came from , yet still As I Look at the Christian Bible it represents a Civilization type 3 to me instead of a God or his Angels in which over 2 billion Hebrews, Christians, Islamic Faith all come to Lead from a Main Source That is Abraham , Son of Terah from UR !! a Decedent of Shem Son of Noah .. Grandson of Methuselah , Son of Enoch that was taken away in a particular flying craft never to return. and the Book of Enoch .. Well.. what is the authenticity?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

what was Shown in the 1930s of Scifi Pulp Fiction
1930s

Drawings to get people to buy Science fiction magazines.

They called them disks back then. And I'm pretty sure you know the story of how the term saucer came to be used later.

Btw, You think those stories are historical?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Is this pic in the midst of refurbishing does anyone know? Try as I might I can't keep from noticing how pristine the top portion looks compared to the weathered and decayed bottom.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Btw, You think those stories are historical?

Not the comics. He did mention Alexander the Great.

I consider Alexanders tale to be very much historical.

What else in their parlance would they call "it" but a "shield"?

Like a shield, or like a Locust… whatever.

You don't think they saw real flying "shields" do you?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You don't think they saw real flying "shields" do you?

Nope.
I don't think they saw flying saucers either. It is, apparently, a made up story with no historical basis.
Alexander

Try rebuilding the link:
www....(nolink)/deconstructing-the-alexander-the-great-ufo-story/13677

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

The thingy I saw wasn't "saucer" shaped either. How do you explain both sides of the conflict recording the same event? How do you explain his obsession late in life of going into the water where the "thingys" disappeared? He invented the first recorded diving bell to accomplish this.

I thingy…

ETA: Tilt! You edited your post Phage to add the link which isn't working. At least add "ETA:" if you would.

edit on 20-10-2014 by intrptr because: additonal

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

How do you explain his obsession late in life of going into the water where the "thingys" disappeared? He invented the first recorded diving bell to accomplish this.

How do you explain that there is no historical record of the "thingys?"

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

There are "thingys", I sawer one. Fix your link…?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join