It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonny Landreth: One of the most advanced guitarists in the world & one of the most under-appreciated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
That is according to Eric Clapton apparently.

en.wikipedia.org...

Landreth is known as "the King of Slydeco" and plays with a strong zydeco influence.[1] Guitarist Eric Clapton has said that Landreth is one of the most advanced guitarists in the world and one of the most under-appreciated.[1]

Landreth is best known for his slide playing, having developed a technique where he also frets notes and plays chords and chord fragments by fretting behind the slide while he plays. Landreth plays with the slide on his little finger, so that his other fingers have more room to fret behind the slide.[3][4][5] He's also known for his right-hand technique, which involves tapping, slapping, and picking strings, using all of the fingers on his right hand. He wears a special thumb pick/flat pick hybrid on his thumb so he can bear down on a pick while simultaneously using his finger style technique for slide.[5]

So I am just back from dragging my teenage boys to see Sonny play tonight. "Sonny who dad?" He is one of those players that you can just watch and every finger on both hands is doing something and you just wonder how is it possible to do that. So I made my kids appreciate him tonight so please do the same.

edit on 11-10-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Interesting post, though my opinion is he is all technique and no style.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Rebuttal guitarist with accompanying reference from possibly the second greatest guitar player? I tend to lean with Robert Johnson. I believe it was in Rollingstone mag that Clapton said something along the lines of, I couldn't do with 12 guitars what Johnson did on one.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna

Interesting post, though my opinion is he is all technique and no style.

Im not sure what that means. I am not sure how you can get more style than that. Its a very unique style. Where most guitar players sound alike, very few have a distinct sound. Its very Louisiana, Cajun -swamp -blues - rock. I recommend turning it loud while driving. Maybe that will help.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Landreth is an amazing player, not so much a singer. He has an instrumental album, it's fantastic.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Hes just showing off. Thats great and all but technique is only there to let you play the music you imagine. It should never dictate composition. While music is largely opinion based, there are somethings that are universal. Direction, intent, content, texture, and most importantly, how that is applied to create a composition. I find that hes lacking in all of those. He has no composition skills. Dont get me wrong his guitar skill is crazy, but without the other part i just dont see the point because hes missed what music is all about. Its a unique technique, not style. Theres a difference. Its the difference between math and poetry. One makes things work, the other gives us a reason to live, love, die, etc.

Gave you a flag though for the interesting subject matter.
edit on 11-10-2014 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2014 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Direction, intent, content, texture, and most importantly, how that is applied to create a composition. I find that hes lacking in all of those. He has no composition skills.

So you never listened to one of his albums or you don't like him for whatever reason, but to talk out of your ass? I honestly don't know how you could say that if you actually listened to his work. I would say you don't have a grasp on music. When you are listening to something, do you have all these words going through your head? If so, how can you possibly listen to anything? Is there a rule book for liking music? "wait, I didn't hear any intent in that...means no composition skills...that's what my teacher said" Seriously, wtf is wrong with you people. I highly recommend you relax and get the garbage out of your head before you listen to something. Sometimes it takes a few listens before it clicks.

Besides, I was highlighting his technique and unique style, not his composition skills. Even so he can compose a damn good song. Though I prefer his instrumentals.

Here is his solo body of work

Blues Attack (1981; re-released 1996)[1][4]
Way Down in Louisiana (1986; re-released 1993)[1][4]
Outward Bound (1992)[4]
South of I-10 (1995)[1][4]
Crazy Cajun Recordings (1999) - source material from 1973 and 1977[4]
Prodigal Son: The Collection (2000) - source material from 1973 and 1977[4]
Levee Town (2000; re-released 2009 with five bonus tracks)[4]
The Road We're On (2003), charted No. 1 on Billboard's Blues Album Chart.[8]
Grant Street (2005) - live recording, charted No. 2 on Billboard's Blues Album Chart.[8]
Sonny Landreth - Live At Jazz Fest 2007 (2007) - live recording
From the Reach (2008), charted No. 1 on Billboard's Blues Album Chart.[8]
Elemental Journey (2012), charted No. 4 on Billboard's Blues Album Chart.[8]

If you notice his last for studio releases charted and was AMA Instrumentalist of the Year 2005, not bad for someone with no style that cant compose I guess.

Gave you a flag though for the interesting subject matter.

You can have it back. bend over.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
You had me at 'Zydeco Shuffle', thanks for the thread. He is a great guitarist.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

So you never listened to one of his albums or you don't like him for whatever reason, but to talk out of your ass?

You really can't handle it when people express dislike for your favourite music, can you?

Thanks to you and a couple of others who hang out here and make yourselves unpleasant to the rest, the Music sub-forum on ATS remains a rarely visited ghetto. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

edit on 11/10/14 by Astyanax because: of a load of rubbish.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

And you cant handle being called on your Bull $hit.

What I cant handle is people like you and your twin that think they know everything there is to know about music and what makes good music. In fact it drives me insane. It has nothing to do with my favorite bands and everything to do with your overinflated egos. Someone critiquing a musicians whole body of work and someone that has been around for decades based on a couple youtube videos didn't actually listen to much of anything except for the garbage in their head.

Someone that knows music and listens to music doesn't act like that. I would never go into a thread say stuff like that even if I absolutely hated it. Why? because If I hate something and someone else likes it, I must not understand it. Its definitely not "I hate it therefore it sucks". That's only a reflection of you, not the music. You guys don't like music, you hate it and yourselves.

I started a thread about a musician that many people might not be aware of who had a long career that many musicians admire and who has a ton of material. I totally get that some people might not like Cajun swamp blues. Some people might never have heard it before. I didn't start a thread and make claims about someone being the best composer or the best that. I quoted Eric Clapton. Argue with him since you guys have all this fantastic knowledge. Go argue with the AMA. At least listen to at least ONE of his albums before you slam him.

I would never make the statement that EC did and I still wouldn't. I have been listening to Sonny for years and always thought he was great to listen to and go see but I never put him that high. Im not a huge EC fan either but to completely dismiss a comment like that from EC?

Here is novel idea. Say something like "I really didn't get it. what is something I could listen to so I can get a better feel?" Because I have been listening to him for 10 years or so and you have been listening for about 2 minutes but somehow you know more about him then me now. or don't say anything. Then hey, maybe more people would come around a share music that others might not be aware of.

So yes, I absolutely distain when people express their dislike and cast their holier than now judgment on things that I love. That includes my wife, my kids and my music. Which is another thing that tells me you don't get it.

was that clear enough for you?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidAmerican

edit on 11-10-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Great post and a Great Talent he is indeed.
Not my style but he has a god given gift only a few have.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidAmerican

Robert Johnson definitely a big influence on Sonny's style. And its really guys like Clapton that keep that music alive. Johnson may have disappeared into obscurity if not for Clapton.

not my favorite cover of this song.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I came into this thread hoping for a lighthearted banter, didn't expect a fist-fight. Wow.

My own opinion, formulated from watching those vids and listening: The guy has talent. What I can't hear too much of is soul. I'm sure it's there, I just didn't hear it on those particular recordings. So I'm left with a "hey this guy is good an you never heard of him..." vibe (as if I'm talking to myself.) But I'm also left with a feeling like there could have been something more.

But to be honest, this is the same thing I thought of Mr. Steve Vai when I first heard him in the 80's, and now I'm a fan and I can hear the "soul" in his playing. Maybe it's just an exposure thing.

Even so, thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The haters are jealous and/or dumb, this guy rips legitly.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

I came into this thread hoping for a lighthearted banter, didn't expect a fist-fight. Wow.

negativity breeds negativity. The guy has been around for a long time and has had quite the career and is considered "the guy" by many musicians. He has even penned some songs that are standards for New Orleans music. Its not like "hey, here is some 20 year old kid". Its not everyones cup of tea either. I know I was a little rough but its getting to the point where I cant post a video without hearing about how it doesn't comply with some music theory and that's why it sucks and that's it because they are an expert. It gets old fast.

My own opinion, formulated from watching those vids and listening: The guy has talent. What I can't hear too much of is soul. I'm sure it's there, I just didn't hear it on those particular recordings. So I'm left with a "hey this guy is good an you never heard of him..." vibe (as if I'm talking to myself.) But I'm also left with a feeling like there could have been something more.

But to be honest, this is the same thing I thought of Mr. Steve Vai when I first heard him in the 80's, and now I'm a fan and I can hear the "soul" in his playing. Maybe it's just an exposure thing.

Even so, thanks for sharing.

He has soul. Its really hard to pick out videos to really capture every aspect of someone like that. That and I had the sound way down on my laptop because it was late. So I don't know if I picked out the best ones. But Yeah, its definitely one of those deals where you have to try it a few times. I also think its that Cajun swamp sound that people might not be familiar with. Kind of gives you that "its blues but that's not right" feeling because its not quite the blues we are used to. The soul is kind of a snaky voodoo thing. So yeah. Crank it up. it might sneak up on you.

I really hadn't listen to him in a few years then when came back to him, it was even better. I was hearing stuff I wasn't hearing before. There is a lot going on with his sound. It might take a while to kind of gel. Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I was surprise that I had never heard of Sonny until now.

And I used to be VERY heavily into rock when I was young.

When I read your quote that mentioned Sonny being an under-appreciated artist, it reminded me of Canadian singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn.

Cockburn has been around for years but very few have even heard of his name.

He is best known for his ‘Wondering Where the Lions Are’.

He has one piece called ‘Berlin Tonight’ that has an incredibly beautiful electric violin solo:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've never quite understood why or when guitar playing became a competition sport. Filled with fanboys, critics and yahoos.

Perhaps that's why I've gravitated to listening to more Jazz and horn players. Totally different consciousnesses than pop and rock.

edit on 11-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I've never quite understood why or when guitar playing became a competition sport. Filled with fanboys, critics and yahoos.

It started with the commercialization of music which started with the Beatles. Sonny Landreth is about as far from that as you can get. His style is more akin to traditional music of that area, not pop and rock.

So there is no standard to base his playing on since he is the standard in that realm. Like the Beatles are the standard for pop bubblegum commercial music. Its a completely different realm.

Perhaps that's why I've gravitated to listening to more Jazz and horn players. Totally different consciousnesses than pop and rock.

And that's why I gravitate to traditional music like blues and bluegrass. That's why I dig guys like Jorma Kaukonen who left pop rock and instead threw his guitar in the back of his pickup and went on tour, quite literally.

These guys don't compete with each other, they collaborate. They don't get a lot of air play, they build followings by playing music, not by complying with the pop rock industry standard.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

When I read your quote that mentioned Sonny being an under-appreciated artist, it reminded me of Canadian singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn.

Cockburn has been around for years but very few have even heard of his name.

I have heard of him but I can't say I am familiar with him. I probably would even recognize a song or two. You may have heard of John Hiatt. I would hear him on the station I listened to a lot and I liked a couple of his tunes. Well Sonny's band was his backup band for years.

Then when I was first exploring his music, I noticed that he Covered Congo square which a lot of New Orleans bands do. I mean like I was listening to a lot of music from the area. Dr John, Neville Brothers, Professor Long Hair, Meters, various Zydeco bands. Even the band that played my wedding was a Cajun band. Well it turns out tunes like Congo Square, were his.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join